Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meteor dreams have come true

Meteor dreams have come true

Hi,
    After about 2 years of collecting and tinkering with Meteor's, I think I've reached my goals

I don't know why BSA used this fiddleback maple wood for the lowly Meteor? Perhaps because they could buy some maple cheaply?

Paul Short did a great job with the internals. A big thanks to Paul.
    I decided to have the springs shortened by him. Less is more in these guns.
    Good quality spring guides, top hats and piston liners have resulted in great smoothness.
    The one with the scope is doing about 8 ft/lbs, the one with the peep sight about 6.

Inspiration for the Meteors was derived from John Bowkett.
    I followed his "Meteor recipe" from the eighties, which was kindly shared with me by him and lightning22 on here.
    Thanks Rich!

Any other Meteor lovers/tinkerers on here? (I know there are )

Cheers, Louis

Wow, a stunning pair of old girls. Thanks for sharing.

meteor

hi, that's a nice pair you've got. having being weaned on a diet of meteor as a boy they have many fond memories for me.. the barrels look short ? have they been chopped to maximize their tune ? regards gc93..

Beauties, many thanks for sharing
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Maple in generally far cheaper than beach or walnut, you just got very lucky as I don’t think BSA set out to buy any special fiddleback

What you have there is the essence of pure airgunning.

Lovely pair of Meteors.

Although a slim butt pad would finish them better for me.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Who turned them into carbines. nice guns all the same.

They tend to shoot more accurately with shortened barrels,well that's my experience.

The timber figuring makes you wonder why BSA would smother the stocks in coloured lacquer.

We've shared a lot of meteor info over the past year Louis, got mine eventually shooting sweet at 11fpe with a standard spring, though mines not as pretty as your!!

You've created a nice couple of carbines Louis - just right for plinking!

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Any other Meteor lovers/tinkerers on here? (I know there are )
    Well, these days I just rehabilitate meteors, but there has been some heavy tinkering earlier. Most of mine have fitted guides and Jim Maccaris meteor-spring.
    Did a stroked one with some extra piston weight, plus a aa/diana style seal. Refinished the stock and did an attempt at rust bluing the steel, turned out okay.

Your carbines look really nice, might end up sacrificing a barrel myself after seeing those!

Thank you gents.
    Nice to hear from fellow Meteor enthusiasts.

The barrels are carbine Lightning barrels.
    Cocking effort is higher, but I prefer the balance and pointability this way.

Interesting to read that maple is cheaper.
    Here is a photo of the best stock (when there wasn't a front sight on the barrel yet).
    It was stained by the factory, but I took that off and a few layers of Tru oil did the rest.

@evert, your Meteor tinkering sounds very intersting. Any photos?

Cheers, Louis

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    @evert, your Meteor tinkering sounds very intersting. Any photos?
    Never been very good with the picture posting fuctions on this site, as I dont have a photo hosting account anywhere.
    But think I might have some pictures stored on a removable hard drive.

A while back I cut down a supersport barrel to carbine length, and milled out the cocking slot for use on mk3/4 Meteors.
    The barrel finally found it perfect home today, on a wreck of an old Super Meteor. Combined with an ARH aluminium muzzle brake/barrel weight, the format is just perfect! I put a cut down Bam B26 (hw95 clone) spring in the gun. I've only chronographed old Gamo match 7.7 grs pellets, and they go at 760fps- which is close to 10fpe.

Now the gun needs a scope, and some shooting to see how it performs on target...

...and I know, it didnt happen without pictures....

Sounds good evert! A photo would be nice lol.

My maple Meteor stock is in the cupboard atm. I am now using this groovy seventies stock. The person who did the chequering must have been an apprentice . The sideplates give it that extra bit of ugliness - and charm. I love looking at this gun. It shoots well too.
    It does 482 ft/s with 15.89 gr JSB's. I should use lighter pellets.

One thing I don't like about Meteors is their heavy triggers. You can make them light, but that also means dangerous!
    Frakor did a JB mod on this one: the barrel axis pin is now a screw, so that the barrel forks will never open up anymore. A common ailment in Meteors due to overtightening the front stock screws and/or using too long screws.