Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meteor dreams have come true

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    One thing I don't like about Meteors is their heavy triggers. You can make them light, but that also means dangerous!
    I got to disagree on the triggers, they can be improved massively and still be safe! You need to make a new sear/trigger spring out of thinner wire, and alter the sears engament angle a tiny amount. Oh, and the mk5 trigger can not be made as good as the mk3/4!

That stock you have there looks "different"

That is interesting Evert. Can you give some more info on altering the sears engagement angle please?

Yes, that stock is bloody ugly. But sometimes, ugly is loveable? I am not referring to my gf btw

That is interesting Evert. Can you give some more info on altering the sears engagement angle please?

Yes, that stock is bloody ugly. But sometimes, ugly is loveable? I am not referring to my gf btw
    I freehand stone the trigger sear surface. The way it comes from the factory it is quite rough, and has quite a bit of lift in its geometry. I remove very little, and just change the angle a tiny amount to make the sear engagement a bit more neutral. If you look at a supesport/lightning sear you can actually see that they have a more neutral radius, but in principle the trigger mechanism is the same.

The wire that comes with the later supersport/lightning anti-bear-trap mehcanism is perfect for bending new sear springs

Substituting the trigger for the earlier mk1 unit works well.

I have a mk1. The metalwork is away for blacking at the moment. I have oiled the stock. Needs a new leather piston seal.
    What power should this put out.
    I was hoping for 8ft/lbs.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    And if I remember correctly, the mk1/2 trigger has a better trigger sear angle.

Thumbs up

Wow!!

Those stocks are lovely Louis!

I had a strange Mk3 Meteor some years ago, The stock seemed to have been adapted to fit the action by adding a little bit of wood at the trigger aperture, It looked well though, I think it may have been for a Lightning as it has the same slope for the Meteor trigger guard!

When I sold the gun I kept the stock and put on a standard mk3 stock I had spare!, Still not bought an action to fit!!

This pic shows the stock a little better!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Now that is special! Very cool indeed!

Sounds good evert! A photo would be nice lol.
    Heres some pictures for you!
    The Super Meteor with a 14 inch barrel handles extremely well! And when the recoil is low, accuracy is quite good (its not a match gun, but i get five shot groups where all .177 holes are touching at 10 meters), and the gun puts out 10fpe, there really is nothing to complain about.

I made some oversize stock screws to compensate for all the wear to the screw holes in the stock, and they work great- there is no need to tighten the screws down hard, and the stock does not move around.
    Turns out some BA die and tap sets for chasing worn threads and making new screws is a great help when you own a few BSAs and Webleys:

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Good tip, thank you.
    I have a spare Mk1 trigger mech, and fitted that this morning before work.
    Huge improvement!

And because I know nobody can get enough of my groovy seventies sideplate stock

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Wow!!

Those stocks are lovely Louis!

I had a strange Mk3 Meteor some years ago, The stock seemed to have been adapted to fit the action by adding a little bit of wood at the trigger aperture, It looked well though, I think it may have been for a Lightning as it has the same slope for the Meteor trigger guard!

When I sold the gun I kept the stock and put on a standard mk3 stock I had spare!, Still not bought an action to fit!!

John
    Hi John, very nice!
    That looks like an adapted Titan or Falcon FN stock?
    Not sure, but an airgun tuner called Ed Bishop did a Meteor last year with a converted Falcon FN stock that looked very similar. Apparently it is relatively easy to do the mods for the Meteor action to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Heres some pictures for you!
    The Super Meteor with a 14 inch barrel handles extremely well! And when the recoil is low, accuracy is quite good (its not a match gun, but i get five shot groups where all .177 holes are touching at 10 meters), and the gun puts out 10fpe, there really is nothing to complain about.

I made some oversize stock screws to compensate for all the wear to the screw holes in the stock, and they work great- there is no need to tighten the screws down hard, and the stock does not move around.
    Turns out some BA die and tap sets for chasing worn threads and making new screws is a great help when you own a few BSAs and Webleys:
    Very nice Evert. 10 fpe for a Meteor, that is very "healthy".
    Is that just a matter of a stronger spring?

The tubes vary a lot in how well the seal works, so some examples of the meteor are hard to get power from.
    This gun has a good tube, plus the cut down B26 spring probably gives a boost.
    I also have a delrin tophat in the gun, but no other modifications if I remember correctly- didn't take the piston put when I changed barrel and spring.

Thumbs up

Hi John, very nice!
    That looks like an adapted Titan or Falcon FN stock?
    Not sure, but an airgun tuner called Ed Bishop did a Meteor last year with a converted Falcon FN stock that looked very similar. Apparently it is relatively easy to do the mods for the Meteor action to fit.

Hi Louis

It could be from a Titan or Falcon I suppose, Now you mention it, It does actually look like a the stock on a 19 that I used to have!

I have a Mercury that was modded by Ed Bishop, It's the nicest standard Merc (As in non Challenger or 'S') that i've owned!

It's been changed from a crosspin breech to a bolt and nut for a more definite lock up!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Did a follow up chronograph session after a couple hundred shots the last days.
    I also weighed the Gamo Match pellets to be sure the numbers are corrct.
    The Gamo Match wadcutter gave me an average of 760fps the last time, and were claimed to be 7.7grs, giving an energy number of 9.9fpe.
    They weighed 7.6grs on my MTM scale, so the real energy number is 9.75fpe for the last chronograph session.

After some shooting, I get the following numbers, all average of 5 shots:

-Gamo 7.6grs match: 743fps or 9.3fpe - the spring may have taken a set, or lubrication may have been burned off?
    -JSB 7.33grs RS: 699fps or 8fpe
    -JSB 7.9grs Express: 719fps of 9fpe
    -JSB 8.44grs Exact: 678fps or 8.6fpe

With these numbers and other observations, I have made some other speculations:

-the rifle dieseled with the light 7.33grs RS, and gave a quite high extreme spread between shots at 17fps variation. The light pellet with a soft skirt also gave noticably less power than all other pellets, perhaps indicating slam?

-7,9grs Express have proven very accurate in this rifle, and had an extremely low variation between shots, at 4fps max.

-The cut down spanish Supersport barrel on this gun had no breech chamfer before I cut a very small 45degree taper.
    Original Meteor barrels tend to have a deep, large breech taper. Could it be that the breech taper and the mechanism combined favors pellets with stiff skirts? I need to try some RWS pellets with stiff skirts to see how they perform!