Thread: BSA Club: Bringing the power down: Advice Needed

BSA Club: Bringing the power down: Advice Needed

BSA Club "Airsporter" .177. I want to turn it into a post-war-vintage bell-target tool. With the current spring it is doing a healthy 10.5 foot pounds. I am impressed how efficient are these old conical-head Airsporters. I would prefer not to faff around cutting coils off. Is there a drop-in spring that will bring the power right down to sub 6 foot pounds? Meteor spring?

Bring it to kempton Charlie, I will get the power down by swapping it

A kind offer but I will be keeping this one! I have vowed to never again be without an Airsporter. This particular Club Airsporter is very unusual because it has a stock made of oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    A kind offer but I will be keeping this one! I have vowed to never again be without an Airsporter. This particular Club Airsporter is very unusual because it has a stock made of oak.
    Pictures would be interesting.

Collapse one or two coils depending how low you want to go, and oil quench.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Ideally you need to short stroke it, and perhaps reduce the bore size. This will give a short and quick action. Merely cutting the spring down will give a slow lazy action, and a long 'lock time' ?

Not at all conducive to best accuracy.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    use a light pattern instead
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thank you for all the replies. I was hoping to avoid cutting coils or sleeving but maybe that will have to be done if I find a shorter spring gives too slow an action time. I considered using a Lincoln Jeffries but I want to have a Post-War-Classic bell-target gun made in Britain (essentially either an Airsporter or a Mark 3).
    The oak stock seems to have been home made by a previous owner but was very well done. I will link to a photo of it sometime.
    I bought this Club from a former member of AirgunBBS: Serowman of Rugby. At one time, he had loads of Airsporters but last time I saw him he was getting into vintage motorbikes. He sold off some of his collectables at the Bike Museum and I have not seen him since. He was a very pleasant man to deal with and an asset to collecting. If anyone knows him, please pass him my best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Ideally you need to short stroke it, and perhaps reduce the bore size. This will give a short and quick action. Merely cutting the spring down will give a slow lazy action, and a long 'lock time' ?

Not at all conducive to best accuracy.
    I thought the 'Club' model was already a shorter stroke than a standard Airsporter?
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Only the first 'E' prefix, and very early 'EA's had the shorter stroke.

Ok, thanks for that - you learn something new all the time on here.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

My oak-stocked Club has an E prefix and hence the short cylinder. It is a testament to the design of the conical piston head and the fitting of the tap that it can put out over 10-foot pounds with the strong spring that someone has fitted. I have had an offer of a shorter spring from a BBS regular and when I strip the gun again, I will ask to take up that offer. With the short cylinder, the slow lock time might not be such a problem. Many thanks for all the advice so far.