Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
Thanks for the replies. The musketoon sounds like fun. I have no idea yet what the bloke at the club is selling, only that it’s a 577 musketoon. Time will tell.

I have two Lyman 575 minie moulds which are identical bar the base plugs. The ogive deep plug seems to work better than the shallow flat base in the original Tower Enfields I was casting for. It will be interesting to see what works in a more modern barrel. I also have a .560 lee ball mold for my smoothbore cannon. The minie make interesting full silhouette holes in that at 25yds.

We have a 100 and 50 m range which is only cleared for 22rf. I am trying to convince the committee that the 577 is only a 22 with a worn bore, but no luck yet.

Now we wait for my 1 4 1 to go through!
The 'more modern' barrel you mention, in the Parker-Hale Musketoon, but NOT in the EuroArms productions, is an exact replication of the original Pattern 1861 Musketoon in every respect, having been copied exactly from the sealed pattern version held at that time by the MoD Pattern Room. As, indeed, was every part of every version of the Enfield rifle ever made by Parker-Hale. As I mentioned above, it has the original style progressive rifling that is NOT found on any modern replica made by the Italians.

I was actually present in the Pattern Room in Nottingham [after it had been moved from its original site at RSA Enfield], when they were grudgingly returned by the P-H staff members, and helped the much-missed Herbie Woodend MBE to 'count the bits'.