Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 577 Musketoon hankering

Well that was fun. Around thirty shots today and the same on Friday. Strange how I had the range to myself for the first couple of shots and then the lie down, fall asleep between shots 22 shooters started to drift in to see what all the noise was about. I reckon I've inspired a good few of them to take up the dark arts!

The musketoon shoots really well with around 60gns but for comfort and the rapid headache I made a recoil pad for today. Big difference. If I manage to get down to the club on Wednesday I'll start working up a reduced load that is both accurate with the lyman Minie ball and more confortable to shoot. Now I'm getting older the recoil is more noticeable.

A collector friend of mine has eight original Tower Enfields in India pattern smoothbore, 39" rifle and the shorter 24" Sgt version. I have to say, of the ones we have fired the PH outshoots all of them.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

In general, rifled arms out-shoot smooth ones, but you knew that, I'm sure. It is rare indeed to see original Tower Enfields being shot these days. Do you mind telling us what you shot in them?

Sealed patterns

The person responsible at Parker Hale, was Tony Kinchin, who was the production engineer. It was his idea and they gave him free range. I handled the patterns when they were in his possession. I spoke to him when I saw this thread last week, PH rifling was hammer forged and as stated progressive he tried to explain how it was done, went over my head. He was also responsible for the colour case hardening, proper bone meal not cyanide, took ages to perfect especially on parts like the hammer that are investment castings.

Ormicron

Quote Originally Posted by Ormicron View Post
    The person responsible at Parker Hale, was Tony Kinchin, who was the production engineer. It was his idea and they gave him free range. I handled the patterns when they were in his possession. I spoke to him when I saw this thread last week, PH rifling was hammer forged and as stated progressive he tried to explain how it was done, went over my head. He was also responsible for the colour case hardening, proper bone meal not cyanide, took ages to perfect especially on parts like the hammer that are investment castings.

Ormicron
    Please tell him from me that he did a wonderful job on all those aspects - my P-H rifles still look as good as the day he OK'd them. I've never seen a single one I wouldn't be proud to call my own, and I've owned then since 1974.

I put around forty shots through mine today and loved it. I've been working on loads and have settled on 42gn kranks med with a lyman mould 535gn minnie for 25m. A touch light but pleasant to shoot and only 5gn above keyholing, but plenty accurate. This gives around 800fps over the chrono. 60 gn is fun but rather punishing. The service proof load is 3.5dram or around 95gn. That would put me well over range limits so I must get to a longer range to try.

The first thing people comment on is the case hardening on the lock so Tony Kinchin rightly deservess praise.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I put around forty shots through mine today and loved it. I've been working on loads and have settled on 42gn kranks med with a lyman mould 535gn minnie for 25m. A touch light but pleasant to shoot and only 5gn above keyholing, but plenty accurate. This gives around 800fps over the chrono. 60 gn is fun but rather punishing. The service proof load is 3.5dram or around 95gn. That would put me well over range limits so I must get to a longer range to try.

The first thing people comment on is the case hardening on the lock so Tony Kinchin rightly deservess praise.
    In any case, the standard service load of the day was the same for the P53 and all its derivatives - 2 1/2 drams - 68.5gr of FRP. Even THAT is not a whole lot of fun after twenty or so shots...

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    In any case, the standard service load of the day was the same for the P53 and all its derivatives - 2 1/2 drams - 68.5gr of FRP. Even THAT is not a whole lot of fun after twenty or so shots...
    Very true! I go for comfort these days.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ormicron View Post

Ormicron
    Sir, please read your PM.