Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did bsa make early smooth bore rifles?

Did bsa make early smooth bore rifles?

If so which models .
    Wanted something that fires darts ....

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I know they did a version of the Meteor that was smooth-bore. IIRC, they were intended for the Irish market. I also seem to remember a lorry load of them getting stolen some time in the 1970's.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    There were smooth bore versions of the BSA Cadet

Hmm that would follow nice in the collection indeed i didnt know that

I think Clogger on here as a BSA break down pattern rifle with a smooth bore barrel.I could be wrong though .
    Les..

2 in one bonus thanks les

I was surprised to see a new old stock box of .22 darts offered for sale recently.

Didn't think such things were made.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I was surprised to see a new old stock box of .22 darts offered for sale recently.

Didn't think such things were made.
    you would need a .22 smoothbore though ?otherwise wreck the rifleing ?

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I know they did a version of the Meteor that was smooth-bore. IIRC, they were intended for the Irish market. I also seem to remember a lorry load of them getting stolen some time in the 1970's.
    That Lorry load was an export shipment from Parker Hale Ltd. Several of the .243 stalking rifles were found dumped in a hedgerow near my house shortly after the Theft. I remember the event well but not the year (1976-9 ish)

Before WW2, all the big british manufacturers made smooth bore airguns for export and I believe some carried on doing so until the early 1960s.

The markets these guns were destined for mostly consisted of British colonies where the 'natives' were not allowed to possess rifled arms. Some of the guns remained in the Uk where dart shooting was fairly popular in a similar way to bell target.

Harry what was the concensus as the most accurate dart gun?

No doubt some dart guns are more accurate than others for whatever reason be it consistency in power from shot to shot or less barrel wobble on lock up etc etc. However I think the darts themselves might well have a big part to play in accuracy. Some may loose a bit of a flight with time or get some trapped as the barel locks up on the breach face & loose a bit when shot. Different makes of darts have different dimensions too. I believe that the very long flighted darts that were once popular on the continent had a marker thread in the flight so they could always be loaded with the marker in the same position & that some sets of darts were numbered so you could anticipate its shooting characteristic. Ie if 1,2,3 & 4 shot to point of aim maybe no.5 shot a bit left so you could allow for it.

What are the different types of darts for airguns and which are best to shoot so they dont wreck the rifleing

I think they make some darts ,you can shoot through a rifled barrel these days,mike

Quote Originally Posted by D10bore View Post
    I think they make some darts ,you can shoot through a rifled barrel these days,mike
    Most darts can be fired from a rifled barrel without problems. Junior rifles such as the Webley Jaguar used to be supplied new with a pack of darts as part of the kit. Darts have a much larger surface area and better sealing than steel bb. it's them that should not go near a rifled barrel. I would have no qualms about it except in the case of a good class or tuned rifle, especially a springer. The only real risk with them is the piston slamming into the air tube face because of insufficient backpressure. Pcp or co2 wouldn't be a problem

Most of the smoothbores made were due to overseas legislation requirements or cost factors. In his book on Webley air rifles , Christopher Thrale states that Webley manufactured about 370 smoothbore mkIII models. Try getting a dart into the loading tap of one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by D10bore View Post

Which are they bud ?