Thread: Greasing S410 Leaf/Magazine spring?

loply Guest

Greasing S410 Leaf/Magazine spring?

Hi folks,
    My S410 has developed a slight roughness when cocking, caused by the leaf spring (the 'magazine indexing spring') as it drags over the magazine on the final stage of cocking.

What id like to know is, whether or not it is inadvisible to lightly oil or grease the side of the magazine in order to facilitate smoother movement of the spring over the magazine. Seems to make sense to me, but perhaps im missing something.

Thanks,
    Rich

loply Guest
    By the way, when I say "roughness", what I mean is that the cocking lever resists being inserted all the way - Sometimes it takes quite a bit of pressure to push it back in.

Nothing wrong with a bit of grease, as long as you don't swamp it.

Sounds a bit odd that you're getting that much resistance from the spring - have you tried oiling the breech seal and the o ring that runs around the mag? When these get dry the can cause a fair bit of drag.

Good luck

Sam Guest

Loply.

Full stripdown & service guide in the members area of www.airgunforum.net/

HTH

Paul .177 Guest
    You could try bending the spring, be careful though.

willow3039 Guest
    [QUOTE=loply]Hi folks,
    My S410 had the same problem and it snapped my indexing spring , i would check the rubber O ring on your mag , as mine was worn and when i changed it it was as good as new, good luck mate

These springs are probably the weakest part of the whole mag set-up.
    Mine snapped without much warning in the summer, fortunately it wasn't too hard to fit a replacement although you have to buy the whole post assembly, but at around a tenner including postage it's not too much to bear.

S410

Hi i have had the same problem, at first i thought it was the bolt but when i ran the bolt down without the mag in it was a smooth run, it seems to be dragging from where the bolt picks up the pellet and pushes it past the breach seal thats the problem. Although when i used it earlier with a different pellet (Logan penetrators) it was sweet as a nut? strange that. I have also had problems with the seal that is on the outer rim of the mag. The old one had gone a bit brittle so i contacted AA and they sent me 2 new ones free of charge (nice chaps) anyway i fitted a new one just recently and the other day after i was having the stiffness problem with loading,the bloody thing fell to pieces on me when refilling the mag. I believe that the mag seal/ring is just for holding the pellets in sync befor they are pushed through with the bolt, i'm just wondering if maybe any damaged pellet skirts have nicked it as they have been pushed through with the bolt, so i think i will paying more attention to my pellets in future before loading up & discarding an iffy one's.

SNAKEBITE is offline Somebody must love me.......
    As this spring is the weakest part of the set up is there any preventative measures that can be taken to stop it breaking?
    I AM NOT RACIST, I HAVE A COLOURED TELLY

I've read somewhere that reducing the strength of the ball bearing spring inside each magazine makes them easier to turn which in turn puts less stress on the indexing leaf spring. I've not tried this however...