Thread: Walther EQUALIZER magnetic absorber system - Pacemaker/ICD

Walther EQUALIZER magnetic absorber system - Pacemaker/ICD

Hi

Can anyone answer or give advice on the following please ?

If a shooter has an implant - Cardiac defibrillator or Pacemaker - is it safe to shoot a Walther with the magnetic absorber system ?

Those who have these implants should not have magnets within the proximity of the device

I have contacted Walther however they have not replied to my mail (after several weeks now)

Thanks in advance Clive

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Pacemaker

Clive

The sports services staff are away a lot at this time, with World cups events, and the European Championships, so would return to a back log of mail, but I doubt they would know any way.
    Its a very small magnet, "buried" in the system action, but only a heart surgeon or pacemaker expert will know what degree of magnetism will affect the pacemaker, so you would need to ask them.

That said, the LG400 Blacktec, and LG 400 Blacktec Plus, both come as new with out the absorber, (it can be retro fitted to them), I also had one of the first LG400's Alutecs (in 2011) before they fitted the absorber, and I had it retro fitted, and I have to admit I could not tell the difference, although my wife could!

We also know a Junior shooting at top international level with a Blacktec Plus action with out an absorber, so its certainly not a great handicap not having one.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks again for your help Robin

I understand this will be difficult for me to get a definitive answer

The Medics don't understand what I'm asking and answer in vague terms i.e. don't put any magnet within 300mm of the device, with no specification of how strong the magnet would have to be to affect the device
    From what you describe it seems unlikely to be a very large or strong magnet, probably not detectable as a magnet once more than 50mm away in any event

I am keeping an eye on adverts for used Air Rifles identified by you as worth pursuing

Kind Regards Clive

Quote Originally Posted by CliveJ View Post
    Thanks again for your help Robin

I understand this will be difficult for me to get a definitive answer

The Medics don't understand what I'm asking and answer in vague terms i.e. don't put any magnet within 300mm of the device, with no specification of how strong the magnet would have to be to affect the device
    From what you describe it seems unlikely to be a very large or strong magnet, probably not detectable as a magnet once more than 50mm away in any event

I am keeping an eye on adverts for used Air Rifles identified by you as worth pursuing

Kind Regards Clive
    Just out of interest, how do you cope with things like speakers etc? I would have thought there's a whole gamut of magnets you get close to... closers on kitchen cupboards, in clothing, all sorts.

I would have thought anything that could affect a pacemaker would have a warning on it. I've seen them before.

I don’t know the specifics of the system you are referring to, but when we use a magnet to disable an ICD it’s a 3” diameter ring magnet against the skin, over the device.

I would expect something contained within a rifle not to be an issue under normal handling.