Thread: Old G-10 firing when cocking?

Old G-10 firing when cocking?

I recently found my old (& long thought gone) G-10 repeater pistol.
    I remember buying this new, way back in around '93/'94 but due to getting older, moving houses etc. it was packed away & forgotten about/lost.

Condition for its age is pretty good & all seemed to be working well on a few test shots... Bearing in mind it probably hadn't been shot in maybe 20 years.

However, on a recent plinking session where I thought I'd give it a blast for old times sake it was a pain to cock.
    Quite often, after pulling the slide back it would fire/jump on the compression of the slide.
    This seemed to get worse as the plinking went on?

I remember it doing that a few times from years ago but nowhere near as often as it was recently?
    Is this a common thing with them or have I just lost "the knack" of it?

I haven't taken it apart yet as I remember being given one in a bag of bits around the time I bought mine (as I had the exploded diagram instructions - hence I must be the expert?) & I could not get that bugger back together!

I know it's not an expensive pistol, but I'd quite like to keep it for the sentimental value.
    Being older & hopefully a little bit wiser, is there a fix or fettle for the old girl?

As far as I remember, a lot of the parts on them are Zamak (zinc alloy casting). The point of connection between the trigger and piston sear is probably worn and needs a little re-shaping with a file to make it more positive. Personally I would bin it as I hate them, but as you have a sentimental connection you should have a go as they have a very simple design. ggggr on here will probably help you.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post

As far as I remember, a lot of the parts on them are Zamak...

Personally I would bin it as I hate them
    1. They are indeed.

2. LOL. I think they are quite sweet. Not that I want another one. I already have a comprehensively worn out/broken one that I had as a kid. That’s enough.

Cheers guys.
    Kind of what I thought for an old inexpensive pistol.
    I'll have a think about it before pulling it to bits for a tinker.
    I'd probably rather have my complete old pistol rather than a bag of bits that used to be it.

Mine did that back in the 1960s.

In fact, I think every one I knew about did it after a bit of use.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

I have one that must be almost 50 years old now .. a Diana model. I had great fun as a nipper firing at paper targets from the landing into a shoe box stuffed full of old rags in my bedroom. If I remember correctly, the slide has to be sprung apart a tad to remove it before you can separate the pistol frame plates. After that it is a case of go carefully on reassembly in case the main spring pops out just as you close the frame ...
    Cheers, Phil

g10

I still have mine from way back in the 1970s its in the box still no longer use it any more .Just a keep sake i do believe the parts breakdown is still in the bopx also .

Thumbs up

If you strip it, The possibility of it going in the bin will heighten but it will probably be in bits as they're a git to rebuild, I think Guy did one and was frustrated terribley!

I had one as a kid and thought it was rubbish!, For some reason I have one today, It's still rubbish i'm afraid!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Now now ... when I was knee high to Ronnie Corbett I thought my G10 was the bees knees (I was going to say 'cool' but I think in those days 'cool' meant almost cold). I had great fun with mine.
    Of course now I realise their limitations but as a pure fun gun I guess they are still 'cool'.
    Cheers, Phil

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolkandgood View Post
    I recently found my old (& long thought gone) G-10 repeater pistol.
    I remember buying this new, way back in around '93/'94 but due to getting older, moving houses etc. it was packed away & forgotten about/lost.

Condition for its age is pretty good & all seemed to be working well on a few test shots... Bearing in mind it probably hadn't been shot in maybe 20 years.

However, on a recent plinking session where I thought I'd give it a blast for old times sake it was a pain to cock.
    Quite often, after pulling the slide back it would fire/jump on the compression of the slide.
    This seemed to get worse as the plinking went on?

I remember it doing that a few times from years ago but nowhere near as often as it was recently?
    Is this a common thing with them or have I just lost "the knack" of it?

I haven't taken it apart yet as I remember being given one in a bag of bits around the time I bought mine (as I had the exploded diagram instructions - hence I must be the expert?) & I could not get that bugger back together!

I know it's not an expensive pistol, but I'd quite like to keep it for the sentimental value.
    Being older & hopefully a little bit wiser, is there a fix or fettle for the old girl?
    If it is 25 years old it will not be DIANA or MILBRO named one but maybe an SMK one? Virtually impossible to get the bits now and you may be able to pick up the current version for £25? One of the airsoft places was knocking them out for about £13 a few years back! I got sent some bit s and was hoping to complete a Diana one I had here, but I was still a trigger and the little clip that goes in the slide, short ------------SO--I sent the bits to someone else as a"project" , which is probably the best thing you can do with one. As it is not working, why not open it up and have a look? Someboby may be able to clean up the holding face of the little mazac piston thing for you------Although, the ever so slightly shorter stroke may reduce the Tank Stopping Power of the gun .
    The trouble putting them back together is if the mainspring it kinked, that and the piston and the rest of the bits want to jump out of the frame. If the mainspring it pretty straight it is not so bad. There is a strip down of one on you tube--a G2000?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"