Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
I have been shooting conventional Muzzle Loading Revolvers since I lost my breech loading revolvers in 1997. Unfortunately, we lost access to our outdoor range a year or so ago resulting in the adaption of our indoor range to accommodate pistol calibre rifles and nitro conversion revolvers. Of the two conversions available from new, one was based on a modern D/A revolver design using .38 wadcutter bullets loaded off gun using a small press. The other was the Anvil conversion to the Uberti Remington 1858 NMA which used soft lead ball loaded in exactly the same manner as my conventional Uberti revolver. I have now been able to join another local club with an outdoor range, but will continue to shoot my Anvil conversion for the many advantages it provides over the traditional revolvers. A lot of thought has gone into the conversion with cylinder having been completely replaced with a rebated version which has been machined to ensure the lower portion holds just the recommended charge of smokeless powder which is clearly visible during the loading process. Initially, I wanted an S/A revolver similar in handling to my conventional model, but which was suitable for use at a certified indoor range. The Anvil met my needs perfectly, being exactly the same make and model as my existing revolver, but capable of being used indoors.

Although I clean my revolvers after every trip to the range, the use of smokeless powder removes the necessity to do so immediately. In addition to this, the 209 shotgun primers are cheaper than the No 11 caps, more reliable and easier to fit during cold weather. No grease or fillers are needed at the range with the balls having previously been coated with Allox lubricant before being returned to their box.

Using the recommended smokeless powder load, I have found that the nitro conversion revolver shoots just as accurately as my conventional revolver and coincidentally almost to exactly the same point of aim as when using 777 powder outdoors. Since owning the gun, I have not experienced any primer failures or cylinder binding issues during the expenditure of many rounds without having to periodically remove the cylinder during the session.

Maybe not for the purist, but perfect for those who don’t have access to an outdoor range and want to continue with the sport they love.

Brian

Good post, and I see and respect your POV.