Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 metre Archery on club ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    At least they let ME in.
    ONLY ONCE!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

10 mt archery

At the risk of spoiling the hilarity of this thread with a serious answer, the fact is that 10 mt archery is very different to out door long bow archery.

Although not done for many years, our club did at one time have facility for indoor 10 mt archery, and I think tucked away some where we still have the target frames and carriers. One of our members was the GB National Champion, and the clue is she was also a GB national Air rifle champion.

Ten metre archery is shot with a match CROSSBOW, they are very much like a match air rifle or small bore rifle in style, just with a small crossbow action, and they shoot a small bolt (arrow). The targets are on a returning system the same as the air ones. I've never seen it shot, we dropped it years ago when the one member stopped shooting.

Another clue for you is that the NSRA committee responsible for Airgun in the UK is, the "Airgun and Crossbow committee"! Look at the header on the NSRA web site, they refer to Match Crossbow, and there is a picture amongst the ones that roll through!

Any one who has my book, look on page 6, there is a picture of a German club air range, 25 firing points, but they do shoot indoor archery, long bow, across the range at 25 mts, and you can see the targets on the end wall in the picture,

Sorry to spoil the fun, but now you can start on the William Tell jokes and apples as targets.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 09-10-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    At the risk of spoiling the hilarity of this thread with a serious answer, the fact is that 10 mt archery is very different to out door long bow archery.

Although not done for many years, our club did at one time have facility for indoor 10 mt archery, and I think tucked away some where we still have the target frames and carriers. One of our members was the GB National Champion, and the clue is she was also a GB national Air rifle champion.

Ten metre archery is shot with a match CROSSBOW, they are very much like a match air rifle or small bore rifle in style, just with a small crossbow action, and they shoot a small bolt (arrow). The targets are on a returning system the same as the air ones. I've never seen it shot, we dropped it years ago when the one member stopped shooting.

Another clue for you is that the NSRA committee responsible for Airgun in the UK is, the "Airgun and Crossbow committee"! Look at the header on the NSRA web site, they refer to Match Crossbow, and there is a picture amongst the ones that roll through!

Any one who has my book, look on page 6, there is a picture of a German club air range, 25 firing points, but they do shoot indoor archery, long bow, across the range at 25 mts, and you can see the targets on the end wall in the picture,

Sorry to spoil the fun, but now you can start on the William Tell jokes and apples as targets.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Thanks for the information Robin - and especially the great idea!

I am off to find the smallest apple I can find to put on IJ's head and invite him over to our next club night

These things look serious!

http://www.winzeler.ch/

For 10m this would be far more suitable.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    10m & 30m match crossbow is popular in some countries in Europe. Rifle shooters have been known to participate to improve their technique. As the Bolt leaves the crossbow at a lower speed follow through must be good. I used to shoot field target crossbow and we shot 10m, 18m and 25m indoors. The scoring for 10m was different in that if you cut the line you got the lower score.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Crossbow

It is serious, and there are many of the main stream rifle manufacturers that have cooperation agreements with the cross bow makers

https://scherrer-mechanik.ch/deutsch.../10m-armbrust/

And there are many prominent shooters, Olympic rifle medal winner Raimond Debevic and one time rifle world record holder has been a cross bow world Champion.

This is a target forum and I don't think we should be posting pictures of people being shot, even in jest.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Better?

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I have a feeling that the new archery butt will remain unused - but it is the modern stacked layer type and is unlikely to come to any harm if left in the range until I get around to taking it outdoors and digging out my recurve bow case and try to remember how to fasten the limbs onto the Hoyt grip and clip the string on again!

My wife also has one locked away in a similar hard case, so perhaps when the nice weather returns in the spring they may both find their way out onto the back lawn?

I used to be an archer, I was on the Somerset County Squad until I gave up in 1997.
    There was not a 10m range in recurve, compound or longbow, the indoor range was 20m metric scoring, outdoor the York range was 100, 80 and 60 yards traditional scoring (9, 7, 5, 3, 1), and FITA was the same in metres metric scoring (1-10). The only time you would encounter 10m would be as a short target in field archery (the archery equivalent of HFT, my favourite discipline for which I used to use my traditional longbow)
    BTW, reference the classification comment above, the GNAS classification originated in Victorian times, highest is Grand Master Bowman, then Master Bowman, Bowman, then 1st, 2nd and 3rd class.
    Eric