Thread: Difficult seal access

Difficult seal access

Why do manufacturers make it difficult to replace CO2 capsule seals. I have seen it quite a bit on Umarex pistols and today I worked on a Bersa BP9CC with the same problem. They add a tiny extension to the casting to block the retaining screw being removed. You have to do a major strip to do a simple seal change. I have ground away the superfluous lip so that next time the screw can be removed via the capsule well for an easy change.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Why do manufacturers make it difficult to replace CO2 capsule seals. I have seen it quite a bit on Umarex pistols and today I worked on a Bersa BP9CC with the same problem. They add a tiny extension to the casting to block the retaining screw being removed. You have to do a major strip to do a simple seal change. I have ground away the superfluous lip so that next time the screw can be removed via the capsule well for an easy change.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Same with lots of things Baz ,

cars, motorbikes etc etc

By the time the part in question needs replacing , it's long gone from the factory / production line ..so , it's not their problem .

These are deliberately designed castings to stop easy access to seal. Have a look at the Umarex CP88.

Baz

These are deliberately designed castings to stop easy access to seal. Have a look at the Umarex CP88.

Baz
    Yes, I've got that exact problem at the moment - I'm searching for strip down information on a Umarex CP88 to help with replacing that seal. Looks like so much work to disassemble when, as you say, it could have been much easier to do from within the capsule bay!
    S200 .177 with 10-shot conversion and Simmons 44 Mag 3.8-12x44mm Diamond WA, S510 .177 with Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x40mm (& PARD NV007A), TX200HC .22 with Nikko Sterling Panamax 3-9x40 AO IR, Weihrauch HW45 .177 with Dowling & Rowe red dot, Walther CP88 .177

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Baz
    yeah, I hate that.. manufacturers deliberately making servicing difficult, presumably in the belief that you will just buy a new gun..

In reality, we rise to the challenge...!
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Same with lots of things Baz ,

cars, motorbikes etc etc

By the time the part in question needs replacing , it's long gone from the factory / production line ..so , it's not their problem .
    Fully agree - just try and replace a headlamp bulb on a car made since 2000 (possibly earlier)!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Fully agree - just try and replace a headlamp bulb on a car made since 2000 (possibly earlier)!
    true.. my old nissan I could stand in the engine bay to work on it.. the landcruiser I coudl change the starter moter out with just two bolts to remove, slide under the car, in my hand in 3 minutes simples. Look at an A-class merc now - engine out job just to do the starter .. WTF !?!?! My mate scrapped their A-class 'cos the labour to repace the starter was so expensive.... crazy.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Yep, it's a pee-take.

But thank goodness for honest, straightforward springers and many Crosmans (like the 2240 and 1377).
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

To change the headlamp bulb on a smart car (2006-450), you need to remove the front bumper. Well front of the car actually.

12 screws and it's off, first time is a bit daunting.

CP88 need to be stripped to change that seal. Bits everywhere if your not careful.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    To change the headlamp bulb on a smart car (2006-450), you need to remove the front bumper. Well front of the car actually.

12 screws and it's off, first time is a bit daunting.

CP88 need to be stripped to change that seal. Bits everywhere if your not careful.
    Yes. sealed quite a few and grind the tab off for future intervention.

Baz