Thread: J.Brazier lock.

J.Brazier lock.

Hello everyone, I am looking for a percussion long gun or pistol with a J Brazier made lock, I would also consider a lock mechanism only, does anyone have one for sale, thanks Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by GuizeAyose View Post
    Hello everyone, I am looking for a percussion long gun or pistol with a J Brazier made lock, I would also consider a lock mechanism only, does anyone have one for sale, thanks Karl.
    I advise you to make contact with Andrew Bottomley.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I advise you to make contact with Andrew Bottomley.
    I have found his website, thanks Karl.

I have found his website, thanks Karl.
    No problem, except my name is tac.

Punctuation is such an outdated thing.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I have a Whitworth grade 1 Lock which I might be interested in selling.
    The Lock is the spare lock sold with rifle no. 867 I was told when I purchased it from a London Gun maker, it was supposed to have been the lock sold with a rifle to be used by the confederate army as a long range snipers rifle, I took it with a pinch of salt thinking it was probably a load of sales rubbish, but it's the best percussion lock I have ever seen.
    I purchased it about 50 years ago, and was going to have a stock and barrel made but I never got around to doing it.
    (Whitworth Rifle Lock) Manchester Ordance & Rifle Co. Lock By Joseph Brazier.
    I did do some research into the lock and found it was made in 1862.
    Photographs of the lock are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...57625353449145

Fronteria that's very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    I have a Whitworth grade 1 Lock which I might be interested in selling.
    The Lock is the spare lock sold with rifle no. 867 I was told when I purchased it from a London Gun maker, it was supposed to have been the lock sold with a rifle to be used by the confederate army as a long range snipers rifle, I took it with a pinch of salt thinking it was probably a load of sales rubbish, but it's the best percussion lock I have ever seen.
    I purchased it about 50 years ago, and was going to have a stock and barrel made but I never got around to doing it.
    (Whitworth Rifle Lock) Manchester Ordance & Rifle Co. Lock By Joseph Brazier.
    I did do some research into the lock and found it was made in 1862.
    Photographs of the lock are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...57625353449145
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    I have a Whitworth grade 1 Lock which I might be interested in selling. The Lock is the spare lock sold with rifle no. 867 I was told when I purchased it from a London Gun maker, it was supposed to have been the lock sold with a rifle to be used by the confederate army as a long range snipers rifle, I took it with a pinch of salt thinking it was probably a load of sales rubbish, but it's the best percussion lock I have ever seen....
    Beautiful lock. Although Whitworth rifles did see use in the American Civil War, not with locks of this type. The few rifles exported, or at least that got through the blockades, were very plain. Effectively 'budget target rifles'. There would be no point in spending money on finely engraved locks, so right to take that note with 'a pinch of salt'.

David
    Research Press - www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Firearms, Long Range Target Shooting & Associated History

Quote Originally Posted by ResearchPress View Post
    Beautiful lock. Although Whitworth rifles did see use in the American Civil War, not with locks of this type. The few rifles exported, or at least that got through the blockades, were very plain. Effectively 'budget target rifles'. There would be no point in spending money on finely engraved locks, so right to take that note with 'a pinch of salt'.

David
    I purchased the lock from Tom Collins of the The Southern Armoury Ltd. 171 New Kent Road, a relation of his Lewis Collins was a very well known actor at the time, appearing in the professionals a popular TV programme.
    At the time in the 1960's you could buy a cased Enfield No. 4 Sniper rifle complete with it's scope for £35-00 from the Southern Armoury Ltd, I couldn't afford a sniper rifle but I had to have the Whitworth Lock, when you purchased anything from Tom you needed to take a good helping of Saxor Salt, but most of the time you left his shop with a smile on your face, even if you had been well and truly tucked up!!!