Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronograph advice

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Only thing is you have to be a good shot to get a velocity at say, 20m, down range using a combro...

They are also difficult to use on some guns with odd shaped muzzles (my HW77 being one!)

The easiest to use chrono I have used is my little chinese one - works first time every time...
    Absolutely true, I was assuming that "the average shooter" doesn't need down range velocities, they are more the need of the dedicated tuner. But then I am a very simple shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Absolutely true, I was assuming that "the average shooter" doesn't need down range velocities, they are more the need of the dedicated tuner. But then I am a very simple shooter!
    I don't need downrange velocity either, but I do need/want to chrono rim fire & centre fire rifles now & then

The combro is superb at what it does but to say why bother with anything else shows limited outlook.

You can't use cb-625 on Webley pistols without much cleverness. Gats are also extra tricky

Quote Originally Posted by bu dave View Post
    Hi all, I recently purchased a crony F1 not realising you need to spend another hundred pounds on the lights! Bit of a scam really, i’ve adapted some myself but it’s really hit and miss and it’s driving me mad the thing is going to go in the bin soon,piece of crap!
    What I’m looking for is a recommendation for a chrony that will work indoors and outdoors I’m not fussed about the cost I just want the bloody thing to work 😡
    Ai4 guns only... probably combro. Cheap and effective and as accurate as any of the big boys. It works with IR sensors and fits in your pocket. It wont work well on some guns if excessive recoil or obstruction at barrel like open sights.

A number of others alsp work on IR beams and therefore are not affected by electric lights on AC current.

DC will work so LED so long as the light does.not have PWM (pulse width modulation) which is also an on/off style. Easy to spot.. wave the light in front of your face at an angle and it with have a slight strobe light effect.

LMBR and a couple 9f the cheapnebay 9nes use this too.

FX works on doppler radar. I have refrained as this seems to be very tempremental re position of barrel in relation to unit. I think you need to throw more money for dopler radar.

Skan has been around anlong time.

The type of weapons... air and/or powder is probably a good point to start with
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Don't know why anyone bothers with anything else, does pretty much anything the average shooter can want and if you do shoot it (don't ask) the repair service is cheap and brilliant.
    Some of us have full-bore firearms too I've even done nerf guns on the Chrony, plus there are addons etc you can attach to some models like a remote display.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I use one of these Fleabay item 383197960495 (push button LED lights) on each of the sun shades on the Crony when indoors. I position them pointing down from the sunshade towards the sensors. I hold them on with rare earth magnets (Neodynium) so I can add or remove them easily. The lights are a quid for two in poundland and sort the problem.
    As Steyr said - watch out for PWM. Easy way to check is to point your phone camera at it in slo-mo (120 or 240fps) video mode. If the lights look solid and stable - it is OK. If they look like they are pulsing, this could well affect the reading. The 5050 strip light works fine for this.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I don't need downrange velocity either, but I do need/want to chrono rim fire & centre fire rifles now & then

The combro is superb at what it does but to say why bother with anything else shows limited outlook.
    Quite happy to own up to my limitations, but my idea of "the average shooter" on BBS doesn't include a lucky man with rim and centre fire.

I had a f1 for years and worked great outdoors and if used indoors just of centre of fluorescent light was fine

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    There are a few that will work indoors but if you want the best then go for a Skan...never been bettered...in my humble opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Another vote for the Skan unit. Works perfectly indoors in any light.
    Cheers, Phil
    And is the one that will replace my F1 when I can afford it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295...c00OJfftd&mp=1

The above I have found excellent and very reliable. Being rechargeable is good too...

+ 1 on the alliexpress one, ended up paying 13£ with the first time user offer. Stores a 40 shot string only thing being it gives readjngs in m/sec and joules but not difficult to convert. Within a couple of FPS when compared with a combro. Which is the more accurate who knows. I went for the clamp on one to give better reapeatabillity.

I went to Asda and bought two round LED lights costing a fiver. Self adhesive Velcro fastened them onto the diffusers. Works fine.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

They are unreliable in differing light. Bit of a relic electronic wise. I dislike all the faff that most are explaining...set of light gates is all they are in reality ...ones that that don’t like Wrong light or shadow and have to be Goldilocks nambied. Chronies are chronic imo. Get something better.

Quote Originally Posted by pastie View Post
    They are unreliable in differing light. Bit of a relic electronic wise. I dislike all the faff that most are explaining...set of light gates is all they are in reality ...ones that that don’t like Wrong light or shadow and have to be Goldilocks nambied. Chronies are chronic imo. Get something better.

I have never, I repeat never, had an error with my chinese one - unlike my F1 Chrony or my Combro...
    It is the most reliable one I have had by far and will work in any light as it produces its own IR light for the sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    I went to Asda and bought two round LED lights costing a fiver. Self adhesive Velcro fastened them onto the diffusers. Works fine.
    OR a quid from poundland - I used to use them with my F1 - I use rare earth magnets to hold them on to the diffuser. Seldom use the F1 now as I use the Chinese chrono.

I have actually ended up with two chronos. I owned an LMBR for a couple of years and can't praise it enough; then it stopped working without any misdeeed by me; however the back up was first class and eventually I had to send it back to Poland. £5 for repair, plus P & P.Came back with a spare timing plate too. During the time I was trying to fault find, I came across a little cheapo chrono labelled E9800-X, on the bay, that cost around £40. Both super good, giving variations of imperial or metric readouts, neither light sensitive, both self contained and fully portable, the LMBR has a bigger shoot through aperture and there are three sizes of this even for archery, so can be used at longer ranges. I compared both to a couple of Scans and the results whilst not being 100% the same are so close it's irrelevant. The 9800 only has a small tube to shoot through so is best used at close range, which is fine for me. Several friends have bought both on my recommendations and non are dissatisfied.
    So I hope this helps in some way.