Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bisley Trafalgar Arms Fair

Bisley Trafalgar Arms Fair

Being held on the weekend of 19 and 20 October, in the tent by the Pavilion.

Usually free to enter and opens around 8.00 on both mornings.

Not a patch on Kempton but always good for a natter with like minded collectors.

Hope I may see some of you there.

John

sounds good

Hello John,
    I plan to be there, so hopefully we will bump into each other at some point
    As you say, no Kempton Park for air gunners,but a day out and a chance to see some nice old guns.
    Brian

Well I made the effort and saw about 4 regular faces in the ten minutes it took to walk round, shame on the NRA for letting the Bisley fairs fade away. In a dream world we could move Kempton to Bisley but, knowing the way they work, it is very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Well I made the effort and saw about 4 regular faces in the ten minutes it took to walk round, shame on the NRA for letting the Bisley fairs fade away. In a dream world we could move Kempton to Bisley but, knowing the way they work, it is very unlikely.
    I was done in around 7 minutes Peter and that included 2 circuits of the fair. It is a sad reflection of its former self and the only positive is knowing that you have made the effort to organise an alternative at Kempton, which has actually ended up bigger and better!

John

The NRA couldn't organise an Arms Fair at a National shooting venue.

See pxss up and brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

See pxss up and brewery.
    How ironic and sadly very true

John

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

See pxss up and brewery.
    Harsh, but sadly very true. In fact there was already well organised fairs in place and they managed to kill em dead.....

I also visited the Trafalgar yesterday, but wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't needed to pick up some muzzle loading consumables.
    It would obviously be ideal if the Kempton event could be sited at Bisley, a national shooting centre surrounded by the ranges and associated atmosphere, but it seems the NRA are more interested in developing the more commercially appealing aspects with new caravan sites springing up everywhere.

The MLAGB were forced out of their facility a few years ago which appears to still remain empty presumably awaiting some more profitable use not necessarily to the benefit of the shooting community.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I also visited the Trafalgar yesterday, but wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't needed to pick up some muzzle loading consumables.
    It would obviously be ideal if the Kempton event could be sited at Bisley, a national shooting centre surrounded by the ranges and associated atmosphere, but it seems the NRA are more interested in developing the more commercially appealing aspects with new caravan sites springing up everywhere.

The MLAGB were forced out of their facility a few years ago which appears to still remain empty presumably awaiting some more profitable use not necessarily to the benefit of the shooting community.

Brian
    The sad thing is that old Muzzle Loaders' Exhibition Hut has some serious history to it - every time I go past it now it looks more dilapidated, whilst as you say the rest of the camp is starting to resemble Butlins. Even the old Lloyds train carriage has been exchanged for a later one that does not have the character of the old one.

Very sad indeed Brian.

Sorry I missed you BTW - we only stayed around 40 minutes before driving down to Protek, where I did find a suitable old gun to buy

John

Whilst there is no denying the Bisley Ambience I think that Kempton is a great venue.

Easy access, good parking,all undercover,light and airy,you can see what you are buying -unlike the Bisley Pavilion, posh lavs!

Binners tribe and friendly staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Sorry I missed you BTW - we only stayed around 40 minutes before driving down to Protek, where I did find a suitable old gun to buy

John
    Hi John,
    You can't just say you bought something suitable at Protek without revealing what it was mate.
    Brian

Bisley

I went yesterday, yes it's not as good as Kempton for airguns, but I did see a Titan Pistol, loads of Webley pistols and Brian of Purbeck Guns had some pretty decent stock, including a matching numbers .25 Webley Service. One stall had those didly small tins of 200 Milbro Caledonians for only a £1. I bought a chrome Kokusai M19 Smith copy for only £35, some ammo and a MTC Mamba Lite scope with BKL double strap mounts for only £70.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    I went yesterday, yes it's not as good as Kempton for airguns, but I did see a Titan Pistol, loads of Webley pistols and Brian of Purbeck Guns had some pretty decent stock, including a matching numbers .25 Webley Service. One stall had those didly small tins of 200 Milbro Caledonians for only a £1. I bought a chrome Kokusai M19 Smith copy for only £35, some ammo and a MTC Mamba Lite scope with BKL double strap mounts for only £70.
    Although reasonably priced, the 7th Series Titan would not cock.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,
    You can't just say you bought something suitable at Protek without revealing what it was mate.
    Brian
    It was a Mk 2 Mercury Brian, which will tide me over until I find a suitable Mercury S.

Kind regards,

John