Thread: BSA underlever

BSA underlever

Hi

Some help please. I have a selection of air rifles & pistols to dispose of on behalf of the widow of a friend.

Included is a old BSA .22 underlever in lovely condition, complete with Parker Hale aperture sight. I can't find any model number / description on the rifle, the only thing is a capital B with the numbers 187 underneath, stamped inside the rear sight dovetail (no rear sight fitted).

Can anyone help with model / variant and if possible a valuation? My friends widow just wants to get rid of it but I feel it may be of interest to a collector?

Also, there is a boxed, immaculate Webley Premier Mark II pistol (.22). Its boxed with the original paper sleeve around the box and "instructions for use" sheet and original plastic bag! The pistol looks like its hardly ever been used.

Under the left hand pistol grip is stamped (I think) 552 and what looks like 1554 under the right hand grip.

Again, any advice would be gratefully received. Let me know if you would like pics.

Many thanks

Richard

PS Is it too optimistic to ask if a boxed BSA Scorpion pistol, complete with original metal target holder, has gained collector status yet?

Hello
    A photograph is really necessary in order to identify and possibly provide an estimated value for the BSA Air Rifle.
    Regards
    Brian

BSA Underlever

Hi Brian

Just found another number - 623439 which might be a serial number, and 'Patent No. 607,045' - I think. Both on underside ahead of trigger guard. I haven't got a full length pic at the moment but others are attached. It's lovely condition!
    Regards
    Richard
    [IMG]/Users/richard/Desktop/PH Aperture 1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]/Users/richard/Desktop/BSA stamp.jpg[/IMG][IMG]/Users/richard/Desktop/H aperture 2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]/Users/richard/Desktop/PH aperture 3.jpg[/IMG]

PS Not confident that these pics will upload!

A capital B alone?,a GB could make it an early Airsporter.

BSA Underlever

Hi

Nope, just a capital B above '187'. Do the other numbers help?

Many thanks

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard4959 View Post
    Hi Brian

Just found another number - 623439 which might be a serial number, and 'Patent No. 607,045' - I think. Both on underside ahead of trigger guard. I haven't got a full length pic at the moment but others are attached. It's lovely condition!
    Regards
    Richard
    [IMG]/Users/richard/Desktop/PH Aperture 1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]/Users/richard/Desktop/BSA stamp.jpg[/IMG][IMG]/Users/richard/Desktop/H aperture 2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]/Users/richard/Desktop/PH aperture 3.jpg[/IMG]

PS Not confident that these pics will upload!
    Hello Richard,
    Unfortunately, you were correct in doubting that the pictures would upload correctly. It's best to upload via one of the free internet picture hosting sites such as Imgur.

Brian

BSA Underlever

Hi Brian

If you are interested I can email you?

Regards

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard4959 View Post
    Hi

Nope, just a capital B above '187'. Do the other numbers help?

Many thanks

Richard
    1905,one of the first Lincoln Jeffries Pattern underlevers made by BSA.

Check out Lincoln Jeffries Serial Numbers,part of a mass of information compiled by the learned Garvin.

B is the BSA code for the BSA pre war breakdown rifle and the postwar Cadet. Neither are underlever actions. Some pre war BSA underlevers were marked B next to the loading port to denote a .25 calibre rifle. Please do try to post pictures

A pristine Webley Premier MkII , boxed with original accessories could fetch UP to £200 but take offers over £150. They are probably the worst of all the overlever Webleys and more of a collectors item than a shooter as they wear out fairly quick

A pristine Boxed Scorpion, with pellet tin and target holder ( Tele sight would add more) , UP to £150 , and possibly more depending on the version.

BSA Underlever

Hi

The rifle looks to me more like a 50's or 60's model?

Regards

Richard

BSA Underlever

Hi

After much studying with a magnifying glass, the number in front on the trigger guard is in fact G23439. According to John Knibbs web site this makes it a BSA Airsporter Mk1 .22, dating from 1948 - 1954.

Could anyone help me with value?

Sorry to keep asking questions but the lady disposing of these airguns has been led to believe (by an 'expert') that a few of these rifles & pistols are worth quite a lot of money.

Many thanks

Richard

BSA Underlever

Hi WebleyWombler

Many thanks for your input - I'll get these on the For Sale section shortly.

ATB

Richard

A B prefix serial number would mean either a pre war breakdown pattern or a post war Cadet, Both of which are break barrels. Cant think of any other BSA rifle with the B prefix?

Also someone said above about on prewar BSA there was a B near the loading port which meant it was a .25? Never seen that, it should be either a 1 (.177) a 2 (.22) or a 3 (.25). Hell if it was a prewar .25 BSA it would be worth a fortune!

But by the sounds of it, it will more than likely be a Airsporter or something.

Actually just looked up the patent number for that sight and a similar BBS forum came up, there they were talking a BSA Club. Which is the first(?) airsporters made. But it would have a EB prefix. And well good news if it is a club, they are very collectable and are worth some money. I have seen them listed around £300 to £600 but I cant say for sure. Someone else will know more than I do.

Hope this helps.

Edit; just read the other posts on here, serves me right for jumping the gun :P

Mark 1 airsporters I have seen sell for as low as £100 (tatty ones) to over £200 to £250 for decent ones. Though again, just my opinion and I do not collect them so i could be off the mark.