Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
Didn't the opposition (Air Logic Whisperer) say that this felt could catch fire (how?) or was that just an advertising strategy.
Well Ian, I don't know anything about conflagrations, I think the visible hairs that were the real issue for Galway, there’s a bit of a tale to tell there actually.

At the Game fair in ’83, on the Airgun World stand Ken Galway was there with a prototype of the Fieldmaster. Me and Dave got chatting to Ken, at the time I was the reigning National Champ for FT, and by the end of the conversation Ken had offered to sponsor me and would let me have the first Fieldmaster available. I was super excited, at that time the Fieldmaster was like something from Star Trek.

A couple of days later, a large box arrived at my home, full of different silencers. Silencers were new to us so I fitted one on my 124 and got stuck into testing.

There was a definite noise reduction but the biggest surprise was the reduction in felt recoil. Accuracy was good but every time I looked up the barrel I could see all these hairs in the line of the bore and I found it really disconcerting. So my Dad heated up a piece of rod and pushed it through the silencer to singe off all the stray pubes.

That week my Uncle Dave was off to Hippenscombe for a days shooting with a certain esteemed beardy Airgun World scribe. Dave discussed our findings with him and some how word got back to Ken. He went postal and that was the end of that.

So thanks very much - you know who you are

I guess the upshot is, I think Galway silencers were very good. Certainly much better than the Whisperer model.

I still have a couple, I just can’t bring myself to use them, (they’re just so, so hairy).

Richard