Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharp Innova

Innova Heads Up

There is an Innova for sale over on Gun**** with a highly unusual stock. Looks good to my eyes.

Imo the real attraction of the Innova is the simplicity of design, accuracy, durability and basic functionality and to me its pretty much perfect as it is, no offence to people who want to jazz it up, just my two cents, sometimes you don t need to improve on perfection eek

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Pretty sure, indeed, that Galway made an Innova silencer and adaptor. I think a few others did too.

As Louis suggests, they had a burst of popularity in the early 80s.

Despite the rise over here of German springers, the late 70s saw a small fad for American pumpers, like the Sheridan, Crosman (including the much hyped Whaley/Marshall “customs”) and the Benjamin.

Compared to them, when introduced in 1979 or 1980, the Innova was short (34”), light (4.5 lbs), and in U.K. form only needed four pumps to make maximum power.

The US guns were typically a bit longer and heavier (Sheridan/Benjamin 37” and 6lbs) or much flimsier at similar weights to the Innova (Crosman 766/2200 - about 5 lbs). And they all needed 8-10 pumps to approach 12 ft-lbs.

In those pre-PCP days, a really light, recoilless, accurate, full-power carbine had a lot going for it in many people’s eyes.

At least one individual used an Innova a bit in early FT. I can’t recall if he developed biceps like Arnie or nearly had a heart attack, or something in between, but he did prove that a 40-shot course of fire and a pumper, even an Innova, were not the best combination.

If you are of a certain generation (mine) you will always have a soft spot for the Innova, whether you owned one or not, and despite its shortcomings.
    Sharps of all types were very popular in FT at the start, which was fricking amazing as it was shot against the clock in those days. 5 shots in 90 seconds.

My father, John Welham was one, Dave Stevens from Iceni another, he turned up at one heat with a Pan Target, which is the only one I’ve ever shot, but the most successful ‘sharp’ shooter of that time was a chap called Les Burrows.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Sharps of all types were very popular in FT at the start, which was fricking amazing as it was shot against the clock in those days. 5 shots in 90 seconds.

My father, John Welham was one, Dave Stevens from Iceni another, he turned up at one heat with a Pan Target, which is the only one I’ve ever shot, but the most successful ‘sharp’ shooter of that time was a chap called Les Burrows.
    Shaun and I were talking about Les Burrows just yesterday (Shaun had recently serviced a GC2, hence the Innova correlation). I remember Dave Stevens - he used an Innova with an extended pump handle, which was fitted with a Zeiss 6x36 and wore one of your fathers FTS stocks if I remember correctly. He went on to use a modified Daystate Midas in a similar setup.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Shaun and I were talking about Les Burrows just yesterday
    How funny is that Craig? Les was very good with his Sharp. It was always worrying if you were sitting on a top score and Les was yet to shoot. My memory of Les is of him wearing that bucket hat, matchstick stuck out the corner of his mouth and targets falling.

I think that Dave Stevens set himself up as a rival tuner to us in the mid 80s, think he called himself Scorpio or something. I don’t remember him having one of the old mans stocks but he may well have done. A good shot was Dave.

My favourite rifle as my avatar and username might tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If you are of a certain generation (mine) you will always have a soft spot for the Innova, whether you owned one or not, and despite its shortcomings.
    Yes, I had several Innova's, loved them, always used the Sharp specific Sportsmatch one piece mount and never over tightened

Last Sharp I had was the Ace and used the same mount, in fact, I still have it
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Yes, I had several Innova's, loved them, always used the Sharp specific Sportsmatch one piece mount and never over tightened

Last Sharp I had was the Ace and used the same mount, in fact, I still have it
    The Ace mount by Sportsmatch was relieved on the side making pellet load easier and also underneath between the dove tails because of the high curvature of the barrel.

I once saw an Ace were the owner had filled the barrel down in two places so their two piece mounts would fit.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    The Ace mount by Sportsmatch was relieved on the side making pellet load easier and also underneath between the dove tails because of the high curvature of the barrel.

I once saw an Ace were the owner had filled the barrel down in two places so their two piece mounts would fit.

ATB
    Ian
    I'll have to check the mount I have, it has the cutaway for pellet loading, will see if it's relieved between the dovetails

Edit : Just checked and it is relieved between the dovetails
    Last edited by MartynB; 21-10-2019 at 07:20 AM.
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I'll have to check the mount I have, it has the cutaway for pellet loading, will see if it's relieved between the dovetails

Edit : Just checked and it is relieved between the dovetails
    This man knows his onions.
    So a true Sharp one piece mount then. There was a similar one produced for the Falcon range of pcps.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    This man knows his onions.
    So a true Sharp one piece mount then. There was a similar one produced for the Falcon range of pcps.

ATB
    Ian
    I gave it a good look over and couldn't see any chips or marks on the mount and rings or screws / hex bolts

Not often I get a compliment from I. J., I'll take it

Not often I get a compliment from I. J., I'll take it
    That’s because I rarely part with anything especially ‘condiments’

Thank you for all the replies and the pic of the sharp’s, jealous in a word.

Can I ask how many pumps you normally have to do for full power. I’m doing 4 and getting 8fpe a fifth is very difficult to pump.

Cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by SCW22 View Post
    Thank you for all the replies and the pic of the sharp’s, jealous in a word.

Can I ask how many pumps you normally have to do for full power. I’m doing 4 and getting 8fpe a fifth is very difficult to pump.

Cheers steve
    if i remember right its 7 pumps on the innova for full power. and 5 on the ace for full power. id rather a break barrel springer these days than a pumper as to muh effort. same reason i bought a divers tank and stopped using my hand pump!
    Last edited by WILBA; 23-10-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Wow if it’s seven mate I’ll never get there. After 4 it feels like it’s going to snap.