Thread: First target rifle.....Buy new or used???

First target rifle.....Buy new or used???

Hi all
    So recently joined my local club and enjoyed the 10m target range.
    So question is what to buy?
    £800 to spend and like the look of the modern looking rifles.

Welcome to 10m air rifle shooting

I'd recommend buying a good second hand 10m match rifle rather than a 'new' budget model.

I started last year with a Walther LGM-2, its a SSP so you do have to cock it for each shot and moved up to a Walther LG400 pcp this year.

A Walther LGM-2 or FWB 600 would be a good buy, ballpark prices around £450-£550

If you are looking at new then in your price range you could go with a Hammerli AR20 (£840) or an Air Arms MPR (£890). They are good rifles, but they are 'entry level' so if you really get into 10m, you may end up upgrading later on. Buying new you will take a bigger 'hit' when selling or part exchanging, whereas a good second hand match rifle will hold its value.

Second hand pcp match Walther's and Feinwerkbau's seem to go for around £1000-£1400 depending on model.

I'm sure your fellow club members will let you try their rifles, so you can get a 'feel'

happy shooting

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Rifles

Johny

Buy the best you can, other wise you will be changing in short order, best to buy once or at big intervals.

A S/H good quality PCP match rifle is a big step up over a budget new match rifle and the AR 20 is a budget rifle, a good one, but still a budget rifle, the MPR is a multi purpose rifle, and is also not in the same league as a good S/H match rifle.

A 30 year old rifle is just that, very pretty, great for fun, and collectable, and in the hands of an expert capable of reasonable results, BUT performance wise its 30 years away, its not just accuracy, which is little changed in 30 years, but ergonomics, balance, trigger, and lock time have moved on big time.

For your money, look around for a Walther LG 300 in any of the variants, or, not my preference, but a FWB 700 in any of the variants, both are in your price bracket, and both are still competitive at the highest (World) level, they will last you until you can afford and can't resist an LG400.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Stick to better quality 2nd hand rather than new but lesser guns - at least till you know it's for you and you have your heart set on something.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Thank you all for your input, will now, certainly go with the better quality second hand rifle.
    Oh and Robin, enjoying the book immensely.

Burnley and District Air Rifle League.

Hello Johnny,
    I realise that this post my be academic as you may have now purchased whatever takes your fancy. However just to put my twopenneth in, we have recently purchased two Feinwerkbau 300's. One is 49 years old and the other 42. They belie their age and are considerably better than anyone who shoots in our club. I must also say they have both been serviced and seals replaced recently. Everything is still available. They were very popular rifles in their day. A good example can be bought for around £300 to £400. There are plenty of springers and SSP match rifles to choose from but most would say you cannot go wrong with a 300.
    With regards to PCP. Air Arms do a nice MPR and these come up for sale quite often. The decision is whether you want to mess with the compressed air cylinders. We decided at the club we would keep away as someone has to fill them. Also the cylinder is no good for match shooting if it is not regulated.
    Whatever you pick, welcome to the delights of match shooting. Enjoy.
    All the best,
    Warren.

There’s one here,I know the chap and it’s in nice condition.
    Hope this helps

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....0-Target-Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Claretsmad View Post
    Hello Johnny,
    I realise that this post my be academic as you may have now purchased whatever takes your fancy. However just to put my twopenneth in, we have recently purchased two Feinwerkbau 300's. One is 49 years old and the other 42. They belie their age and are considerably better than anyone who shoots in our club. I must also say they have both been serviced and seals replaced recently. Everything is still available. They were very popular rifles in their day. A good example can be bought for around £300 to £400. There are plenty of springers and SSP match rifles to choose from but most would say you cannot go wrong with a 300.
    With regards to PCP. Air Arms do a nice MPR and these come up for sale quite often. The decision is whether you want to mess with the compressed air cylinders. We decided at the club we would keep away as someone has to fill them. Also the cylinder is no good for match shooting if it is not regulated.
    Whatever you pick, welcome to the delights of match shooting. Enjoy.
    All the best,
    Warren.
    A fair point and one to consider, with that in mind, gives me a larger section to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    There’s one here,I know the chap and it’s in nice condition.
    Hope this helps

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....0-Target-Rifle
    Thanks for the heads up, but unable to view the for sale section at the moment
    Probably due to being new to the forum.

Your best bet is not to buy anything without shooting it first to find out if you can get on with it.

Hopefully your new club mates will be able to let you have a go with some of their rifles so you can get some idea about the models and types that suite you and fit you best.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have some fantastic 10m rifles ranging from 1965-1980 and The pull length on all of them is too long for most people. You can shoot them well but ergonomically you are at a disadvantage compared to something more modern.

After reading RobinC’s excellent guide to 10m rifle shooting:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....its-the-target
    I bought a FWB602 from egun for £350, and having reduced the pull length further, and added weights to get the balance right, I have a fantastic rifle for 10m that fits me well.

A PCP would be the next level but I do love a ssp.

Enjoy,
    Matt