Thread: Morini 162ei

Morini 162ei

After having bought one of the above is it just me or are these pistols not what they are cracked up to be? I am used to shooting a waltherlp400, which is like going from a top class Mercedes to driving an old Vauxhall's viva! or have I just got a pistol that was made on a Friday afternoon after a bad week at the morrini factory,plus it has got barrell flip like you wouldn't,t believe. All views would be gratefully appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex thomas View Post
    After having bought one of the above is it just me or are these pistols not what they are cracked up to be? I am used to shooting a waltherlp400, which is like going from a top class Mercedes to driving an old Vauxhall's viva! or have I just got a pistol that was made on a Friday afternoon after a bad week at the morrini factory,plus it has got barrell flip like you wouldn't,t believe. All views would be gratefully appreciated.
    Hi Alex,

I have been shooting air pistols at 10 meters since 1971, and over these years I have been fortunate enough to enjoy and own just about all of the match pistols types you will see being used at the world's top air pistol championships and Olympic games - but sadly, owning the best does not make anyone the best shot and what suites one pistol shooter will not suite another.

My own personal collection currently includes several good match air pistols including Steyr Evo 10, LP2, FWB P44, Morini 162ie, and Pardini K12, but I have also owned and enjoyed shooting the Benelli Kite, Walther LP200, Walther LP300XT, Steyr LP1, LP10, LP10e, LP2 Compact, FWB P34, P44 Compact - and just about every CO2 powered and SSP match pistol ever made - and I have enjoyed owning and shooting every one of them - not a dud amongst them - but they are all different !

Every one of the above has its own characteristics that will appeal more to some than others, and every one of them has its own followers and supporters - and they are all more capable than most shooters ability to score a "possible" every time!

I have owned several Morini 162ie match pistols over the years - some have been a lot older than others, and some are of the last few made with the cosmetic facelift (sometimes referred to as the 162ie Mk2) and they have all shot perfectly, and the same as each other.

The Morini 162ie has been one of the air pistol world's best known success stories with what is probably the longest track record of success at International levels and the first choice of many of the world's best male and female pistol shooters - including our own most successful British pistol shooter Mick Gault who shot his with some success!

The fore-runner of your Walther LP400 was the LP300XT and I always found this to be the most forgiving and easy match pistol to shoot. I am a dedicated Walther fan and choose to shoot Walther match rifles at 10 metres, but my preferred choice in pistols has been the Morini 162ie for several years.

Having run several air weapons clubs and been a member of others too since 1971, I have been lucky enough to shoot and own a good choice of the world's best match air pistols and for sure the choice of air pistol is very personal thing - what suites one shooter may not suit another - but none of them are bad.

If you are ever up north you would be welcome to visit our RMTC club and bring your Morini 162ie with you where you can shoot and compare it with several other Morini 162ie match pistols to see if indeed the one that you have bought is not as good as any of the others, but you could also take it to a fellow Morini shooter a little closer to your home and see if they think your particular 162 is inferior to theirs.

Maybe somebody without enough knowledge has been "adjusting" your Morini?

I bought an LP10 once that went off like a canon, had a kick like a mule, and felt capable of taking the bricks out the end of the club range. This did not make me think for one minute that all LP10 pistols had "muzzle flip" - when what had happened was that an amateur "twiddler" had adjusted the pistol's power incorrectly .

Your Morini 162ie is a superb match pistol that in the right hands has surgical precision - if yours feels as bad as you say then it really needs "looking at" by somebody that is qualified to correct it for you.
    Last edited by zooma; 22-10-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

+1 To what Bob said, put it on a chrono to find out it's speed to see if a amateur twiddler has been playing with it and it is going too fast, then concentrate of follow through with a firm grip.

I agree with Bob's comments. I started with a Morini 162ei and moved to a Walther LP400 carbon. Main reason was that I wanted a lighter pistol. I would say the LP400 is a 'deader' pistol to shoot compared to the Morini.

What I did find with the Morini was that (and this is very subjective) its more unforgiving than the Walther, if I shot well I shot really well with it and vice versa.

The electronic trigger has a very clean break compared to a mechanical trigger on the Walther, personally I prefer the mechanical trigger, as I can feel a tiny bit of creep before it breaks, but again very subjective.

The Morini is also very robustly made and feels like it will last forever, I liked the interlock whereby the trigger is blocked when the air pressure drops too low. Also nice that it comes with two air cylinders.

Iqbal Ubi is the UK Morini importer and can also service them too. Maybe worth having a chat with him, let me know and I'll email his details.

I agree with all the above (even what ZOOMA says - and thats a first ).

You say you have just bought this pistol. Like Bob suggests - have you shot it over a chrono? If you dont know its history perhaps its over powered for a match pistol. A few minutes chrono testing may be beneficial.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I agree with all the above (even what ZOOMA says - and thats a first ).

:

HTH
    Ian

I feel so privileged to have your personal endorsement .

It must be mutual as I have always stood up for you Ian - even when they said you weren't fit to eat with pigs - I said you were !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

and another in agreement,

I used a 162ei for 2 years quite happily, They do have a little more "feel" than a 300XT or LP10 etc as are not fitted with an absorber but this should be very small and barely noticeable, if your's is significant then checking power would be the first step, All pistols have their own characteristics and what suits one person does not work for another, even by brand this can be a factor, I had a Steyr LP1 & didn't like it, then got an LP2 and didn't like it so gave up on Steyr as a brand, that was until one evening at RMTC when I tried Bob's LP10, loved it, bought it and have no intention of changing it.

if you don't have a chrono at hand then bring the power back so it punches cleanly at 10 mtr's on NSRA targets, if you hear a delay in firing to target impact or get ragged holes slowly increase the power until clean, if you can clamp the pistol shoot 5 shots at a time, and adjust until you get a clean single hole group from 5 shots, this is the setting you want mine liked 4.49 R10 pistol pellets and grouped best at around 560 fps which equates to around 4.9 ft lbs (approximately), yours may be different but will have a sweet spot,

Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Afraid I’m not sure I agree with the personal preference part. I have an LP400 that I will soon put up for sale. I have a Morini 200 now, which is very similar to the 162ei and I wish I had had that for the last 3 years instead - far fewer issues and less to mess around with. Look at some ISSF videos on YouTube and count the LP400s (or LP500s for that matter).

For things like creep I don’t find myself wanting to feel that at all. The shot should be unconscious, so I’d assume any creep is a potential distraction to ruin your follow-through. I’ve had an LP50 with a rollover trigger which is great for rapid, but not at all helpful for precision.

The muzzle flip is something I’ve heard about the 162 and they did put a potted barrel on the 200, but I expect that noticing probably signals a drop in form on that shot somewhere.

My recommendation is stick with it. If you’re concerned it doesn’t perform as well as an LP400 then definitely see Iqbal
     •   Morini 200EI
    •••••  Steyr LP50E

had one for a short period,pointed too low for me but all else fine,slight muzzle flip,which I enjoyed,
    as already stated..I would get it chrono'd

Muzzle flip has noting to do with inherent accuracy. Only makes it easier to shoot for the shooter.
    The old Morini's, the E, dont have a muzzlebreak yet and have more muzzle flip than the later one's. You can update a E with the later muzzle break (which I did).
    Its an 'older'design, which was already there in the 90s.
    I have a Morini 162E for years. Only downside is that it has no manometer. And it blocks the system with too low pressure.
    Everyone has personal preference for a pistol (or rifle) based on body lenth, strength, build etc.
    Same favor brand A some brand B etc. Theyre ALL as accurate as can be.
    I can hold still a Steyr LP10 the best but dont like the thin grip; feels like holding a pencil
    ATB,
    yana

Agree with Zooma and others. Morini 162 EI works for me after a little adjustment, my preferred pistol after FWB for many years, I love the low lines and the E trigger superb. As you probably know, all these pistols are inherently more accurate than we could ever be, even Mr Gault. Stick one in a rest like I've done many times and play with different ammo, you'll be amazed and what they can do if not experimented before. Basically one hole groups.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Pistols

I'm a club mate of Micky G, (he's now retired and doing bowls!) In the later years he did go over to a Steyr for a period, but ended up going back to a Morini, and even hunted out his old one!

My experience of people who complain about a pistol, and then berate that make, and I often hear that the trigger is bad, or some other issue, it is often down to poor adjustment, trigger or air pressure, using cheap pellets, and often its come from the hands of a garden shed expert, and more often very commonly down to the shooters poor technique.

And from shooters who have not shot in the days of Small bore, or Full bore pistols, complaining of muzzle flip on a modern match recoiless air pistol, Mmmmm?

Get it set up correctly and just work on your technique, ideally with a good coach.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Morini blues

Thankyou for all your advice, I will persevere with the brand new out of the box pistol( that wouldn't,t even fire or cock until I tinkered with it!)and I will chrono it and get the power tweaked if needed, funny thing is I thought if you brought from a reputable gun dealer and the pistol was sourced from a world class pistol manufacturer I wouldn't need to do this but hey what do other top pistol shots and Bisley trained coaches know from my club, after all a sackfull of gold medals and a combined experience of shooting pistol and rifles in competitions for over 50 years obviously counts for nothing!