Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venom Bavaria and Theoben SLR88 Imperator Carbine.

Venom Bavaria and Theoben SLR88 Imperator Carbine.

I decided to get these two out and have a quick comparison. Both have Walnut stocks and have period scopes, a Tasco TR on the SLR88 and a Trapshot scope on the Venom. Both different types of rifle one being an under leaver, with a 7 shot magazine, whilst the Venom is a single shot break barrel. I thought people might comment if they could have one, which one and why. It would be a hard choice, but for me it would be the SLR88 (If I really really had to ha!). Both are rare guns, but the SLR88 has the edge for me being so compact and 'higher spec' with the multi-shot magazine.

Last edited by Duggan; 21-10-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Morning Karl.
    You've put cat amongst the pigeons there -as you know that both of these guns are very thin on the ground indeed.
    Ironically I know little to nothing of the Theoben- other than it is rare. Going by the pics there it's a lovely looking compact hunter. Very desirable indeed.
    My heart has ruled my head on this one though. Despite it being lower spec, if I had a choice I'd opt for the Bavarian. My rationale being that the concept of Venom buying the raw materials in from Germany to build the gun from the well known if sadly overlooked manufacturer and giving it a big aesthetic and specification facelift really appealed to me back in the day. Clearly for BSF as a whole it would not help their forthcoming demise but that just adds to the story. They took a model that didn't sell in numbers, made a small number and sold what they could. I've heard tell of numbers being below 20 total run.
    I'm also very intrigued by what Venom did internally on them as having been inside a couple I know they are not as well finished as other German offerings such as HW or Diana and as standard run on leather piston heads which must have throttled back efficiency and performance. The gun is also lightweight as guns go and again as std had a very stiff mainspring which Venom must have wanted to change and improve.
    So in this gun you have a mini story of the demise of both the main manufacturer and the tuning/ conversion company all in one easy on the eye bundle.
    If it were mine I would not be able to resist a little session on some paper targets or some knock downs as I don't exempt any of my collection from getting used. It wouldn't however accompany me through the woods and in a hide against the squirrels as I would fear scratching an incredibly rare gun!
    Nice piece of airgun history there. And incidentally only the second Venom Bavaria I can recall being mentioned/ shown/ sold or whatever on the BBS in my time here.
    Dave

MACH 1.5 kindly sent me this article from AGW April 1984, which describes what has actually been done to the rifle. I do know that Venom kept the original leather breach seal in the end, as the performance was good.

I have tried to show the article but it looks like it will not be clear enough to read, in summary, Venom provided...

1. Tyrolean Walnut stock with Venom chequering.
    2. Venom two stage trigger
    3. Barrel Shims
    4. Venom muzzle weight, for cocking and balance.
    5. Venom Spring
    6. Modified transfer port
    7. Modified stronger scope rail and a recoil stop
    8. Venom blueing
    9. Venom tuning to make it smoother to cock and shoot.

Last edited by Duggan; 21-10-2019 at 03:59 PM.

I am not aware of any one making improvements of the SLR88 Light Carbine, as it is referenced as by Theoben.

Last edited by Duggan; 21-10-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Very interesting thread on two great guns. The Venom Bavaria captured my attention years ago but I've never managed to find out much about them. I have managed to read the article, just. hanks for posting it.
    Last edited by Drew451; 21-10-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Theoben / BSF

Both great rifles and I've had the pleasure of shooting the BSF 55. Hard to pick one and let's not forget there is 6 years between the two so things had moved on when the venom BSF was introduced. Funny enough there was a Venom BSF55 for sale at the last Springer Bash. Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 22-10-2019 at 03:42 PM.

BSFs

The BSFs are an intriguing and overlooked classic gun alright.

With some work, and certainly the work that Venom did they can be made cracking guns.

Though not a Venom I have a tweaked S80 with walnut stock the exact source of which i cannot recall exactly (but think it was Leicestershire somewhere).

I was tickled to find that this particular gun has in a suspected previous life and ownership found its way into Garvin's Vintage airgun gallery on this forum.

Though it shoots sweet I've no idea what I'd anything has been done to it.

Dave
    Last edited by jonnyone; 21-10-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Both great rifles and I've had the pleasure of shooting the BSF 55. Hard to pick one and let's not forget there is 12 years between the two so things had moved on when the BSF was introduced. Funny enough there was a Venom BSF55 for sale at the last Springer Bash. Mach 1.5
    Hi mate, just checking on the build dates, was the Venom Bavaria launched in 1984 and the SLR88 in 1988?

I’m lucky (???) enough to own several BSF models (including the odd Mod 65 !) and the one thing they benefit from is a reduction in power!! The ‘55 can be a beast.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Question

Can everyone actually see the pics?

I've noticed recently that all PB images are blurred, I can recall that they started charging, I packed in and deleted my account before that happened as they deleted some of my pics saying that I didn't have permission (copyright), They were my pics, I took them myself!!

Does it mean now that if you don't have a photobucket account that you can't even see pics through their site?

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Can everyone actually see the pics?

I've noticed recently that all PB images are blurred, I can recall that they started charging, I packed in and deleted my account before that happened as they deleted some of my pics saying that I didn't have permission (copyright), They were my pics, I took them myself!!

Does it mean now that if you don't have a photobucket account that you can't even see pics through their site?

John
    click on the pictures mate and all will become clear (literally )
    and I would have the BSF all day over the Theoben

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    The BSFs are an intriguing and overlooked classic gun alright.

With some work, and certainly the work that Venom did they can be made cracking guns.

Though not a Venom I have a tweaked S80 with walnut stock the exact source of which i cannot recall exactly (but think it was Leicestershire somewhere).

I was tickled to find that this particular gun has in a suspected previous life and ownership found its way into Garvin's Vintage airgun gallery on this forum.

Though it shoots sweet I've no idea what I'd anything has been done to it.

Dave
    If anyone has insight on tuning the Bavaria guns, please share!

Bsf

Hiya evert.
    I cannot profess to having tuned my 55 or 54. I would prefer to say that they have been overhauled/ serviced by me in a manner that is likely done up n down this land by most airgun owners. I have not given over any quality time to this as I would really need to inorder to get any meaningful improvements.
    In my case the 54 was very dry n the leather head had swollen and almost sizes up inside the cylinder. That improved after some tinkering but as I say I didn't devote much time to that and would revisit that to get some further improvement.
    The 55 I did give a minor polish out, changed the leather seal for synthetic and from memory I think I might have tried some macarri PTFE buttons on the piston skirt. If I recall right the cylinder was not true on this particular gun and aside of being a tad smoother it wasn't that productive a project. I'm sure that quality of manufacture and thereby improvements can vary gun to gun.
    As I have said above the BSF marque is and interesting and desirable gun, but it is well shy of the engineering quality of say feinwerkbau or HW or Diana etc. Just my opinion of course and it certainly wouldn't stop me buying another since they are collectable.
    Dave

Synthetic seal seems like a good idea, especially since the transfer port looks small. Havent measured mine, but by mo own visual guesstimation they seem to be no larger than 3mm.
    What springs have you been using for servicing?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    click on the pictures mate and all will become clear (literally )
    and I would have the BSF all day over the Theoben
    Ahh, Thanks Mally

EDIT, Bluddy strange, It wouildn't let me look until I disabled my ad blocker, This I did and it let me look at one pic then didn't seem to believe me on the second pic and just kept putting a big red square in the middle of the pic!!,

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/