Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As a modest collector, am I committing sacrilege by buying an LGV Master Pro?

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Buy and shoot what you like that gives you pleasure - Job done, no one offended, big smile on your face
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Phil, I did contemplate a Webley Service Mk2 but after some thought and research I concluded that despite the splendid appearance, it did not match the shooting ability of the BSA Standard (is this the pre-WW2 equivalent to the post-WW2 debate between the BSA Airsporter and Webley Mk3?).

Yes, it is very easy to give in and - imperceptibly - the collection just grows. But my criterion of trying to use the rifles does impose a discipline of sorts.

SRV1 and others: so true! My concern was that by buying into the new superior products today, might one lose interest in the older rifles? Perhaps not: each has a personality and each provides a challenge in that each has to be mastered.

[QUOTE=andrewM;7763105]I had heard that the LGU (underlever) benefitted by widening the TP but I also understood that nothing required altering in the LGV (break-barrel), for it is almost perfect from the factory. With only the most basic practical skills and without the tools to interfere with the TP, I would prefer to leave alone!

Yes, almost perfect from the box, but there are very few things in this world that cannot be improved, if only a bit. If you don't feel like tackling the TP it is still worth fitting the TX spring. Mine will be at the Bash on Saturday, and has been described by TonyL (who else?) as "exceptionaly polite". It really is a dream!

I only have 2 guns that would be classed as “collectable”, a Webley Hurricane pistol and a Walther LG53 rifle, both because I thought they would be enjoyable to shoot and they are. As one of the other correspondents said, I think that is the best way to choose a gun, if you want to shoot it, it doesn’t matter whether it is old or new.
    There is real pleasure in giving an old gun a new lease of life or in giving a new gun its first life.
    Eric

I've got a fair old mix, from .50's to 70's Webleys/BSAs to more modern Weihrauch 35s & a late 2013 Meteor. Even got a couple of CO2 pistols bought new for summer plinking.
    Before a job change & income reduction seriously considered either a new LGV/LGU, or even going 'modern' with a Rotex PCP.
    I really enjoy my shooting, whether with the newer guns or just appreciating the engineering of the older stuff.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I just buy the rifles that appeal to me, so I have a mixture of old and new-ish, I enjoy shooting all of them.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I just buy the rifles that appeal to me, so I have a mixture of old and new-ish, I enjoy shooting all of them.

Pete
    same here pete. i like to mix it up. but i am not in to the newer offerings. and deffo no electronic gizmo shite.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    same here pete. i like to mix it up. but i am not in to the newer offerings. and deffo no electronic gizmo shite.
    Same here Chris, not sure what is my newest rifle? my Prosport is a very early one, Sirocco is obviously around the 2000 era and I think my Supersport is 80's vintage.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    In answer to the OP, heck no, in twenty years time we’ll be tearing the place up searching for them, buy two in each caliber !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    In answer to the OP, heck no, in twenty years time we’ll be tearing the place up searching for them, buy two in each caliber !

Ho, ho! Quite right!!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Now look what you’ve gone and done, agreed to buy one myself now !
    “An airgun or two”………

Shockingly good gun I ordered one when they first came out after shooting a prototype lgv that Terry Doe had
    sold an 80 after to buy a century in 22 never regretted that as its a much better shooting gun

Some will disagree but thats what makes Airguns Interesting Innit !

Modest

My oldest bsa mod d 1910 to my newest a tx mk 3 hc .to many walthers pistols and rifles..... I shoot them all mostly 1950 to 80 target rifles. All are 177 and have 6 m range at home...tx is for hft and long distant on plink range.
    I like them for what each one is and use in rotation.
    Not for which one is best
    Cheers ian

Let us know how you get on with it, Blackrider!

Rather like you, I have ended up buying rifles because I discovered good reviews/comments on this site. I do believe, though, that you have got to make use of them rather than just look at them.

I am further enthused by Mallyally's remarks. It seems the only drawback is the heavy weight.