Thread: Webley Hawk MKIII - Can I improve it?

Webley Hawk MKIII - Can I improve it?

Thought I would ask if there is anything I can do to sweeten up a Birmingham Webley Hawk MK3?

I was given this rifle recently in bit of a sorry state, it's now all stripped down, cleaned and degreased, bit of rust on action/barrel cleaned up okay with oil and wire wool and stock will be refurbed.

Looking around an O-ring seems the common way to improve the piston along with a deburr and polish in the right places, but what else can I do?

Any ideas greatly appreciated..
    1970 FWB 300 - FWB 127 Sport - HW80 1983 - 1984 HW77K - HW30S - HW35 - AIRMASTERS 77FTS
    TX200 Mk2 .22 - TX200 Mk2 .177 - TX200SR Mk1 .177 Walnut - PROSPORT.177

The Mk2 needs a transfer port sleeve as the port has too much volume for synthetic seals, and it also needs a spring guide, as there is no real guide in the gun from the factory.

I dont know if these points aplly to the mk3, but if they do, they are worth a try.

Edit: looking at the prints at the Chambers gunmakers site, I see that the Mk3 would benefit from a proper guide.
    Last edited by evert; 22-10-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: more info

I have found some good info from Mick here:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....50#post5976450

Do not put to powerful a spring in it or you will elongate the rear block retaining pin holes.

Thanks everyone for the info so far, going by the link bringing the transfer port down to 2.5mm looks a good mod but how do I do that, is it a case of taping out the 4.00mm port and screwing in the 2.5mm port? If so where can you buy different transfer ports?

I also agree a spring guide should be essential, but without machining the back block how can the spring be guided?

Thanks again ;-)
    1970 FWB 300 - FWB 127 Sport - HW80 1983 - 1984 HW77K - HW30S - HW35 - AIRMASTERS 77FTS
    TX200 Mk2 .22 - TX200 Mk2 .177 - TX200SR Mk1 .177 Walnut - PROSPORT.177

If you have access to a lathe, make a brass sleeve measuring 3.9mm on the outside, and loctite it in place. Some people have bought brass tubing of suitable dimensions and cut to length.

My hawk actually benefitted from a piece of copper tube as a floating guide in the spring. I made it a semi-snug fit in the spring, and cut it to maximum length after adding a top hat. Not as good as a bolted on rear guide, but better than nothing.

I have bought the chambers spring guide and top hat in their "tuning" section for the vulcan and after turning down the base in a drill press with sandpaper to the correct diameter have used them in a few webleys like the tracker that all use the same basic spring. Helped quite a bit.