Thread: Is this dovetail for a scope or diopter

Is this dovetail for a scope or diopter

I have a vintage Diana 25, made in Britain, and on the cylinder is a very small dovetailed rail it measures 7 or 8mm across and is quite short. originally I thought it is for a peepsight but it is quite far forward and I haven t seen any scope mounts smaller than the usual 9-11mm so I'm confsed as to what was meant to be fitted, anyone?

scope mount there was a special diana scope for it..
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Must see can I find one so

Anyone have one for sale

It sounds like the mounting for the plastic 2X Diana scope or an early metal 3X. If you unscrew the rail screws, the rifle will be marked DRILLED FOR SCOPE underneath, if it's the mount I'm thinking of.

There was a boxed 2X scope at either the last Kempton or the one before - I remember taking a picture of it.

John

You re right sir, I unscrewed the rail and underneath says drilled for scope

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    If you unscrew the rail screws, the rifle will be marked DRILLED FOR SCOPE underneath, if it's the mount I'm thinking of.

John
    Thats an amazing party trick ! Go on John - what am I thinking?

Once again the knowledge on here of a very mixed variety of subjects amazes me.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    It sounds like the mounting for the plastic 2X Diana scope or an early metal 3X. If you unscrew the rail screws, the rifle will be marked DRILLED FOR SCOPE underneath, if it's the mount I'm thinking of.

John
    I think the screws that hold them on are 4BA. The trouble with holding a scope rail on like this is that you are putting something with a flat surface (the bottom of the screw) , through something that is rounded (the cylinder) and quite thin. If the screws are a fraction too long , then they foul the back of the piston and the gun wont cock. On one I had, I marked where the screw lined up and then filed a groove on the bottom of the screw.

If you can find a scope and mount, I think it would be possible to remove the scope and fit a modern cheap one in the mounts.
    Another option is that some people on here make up a rail out of a bit of tube and fix them to the cylinder with glue (tiger seal?) , which would give the option of more modern / better scops.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

I think the better option as you say is fit a more modern rail and drill to suit, funny u say about the fouling I took off the rail, put the bolts back in and cocked the gun albeit noticing that fouling as you say. I guess I will have to fit the new rail with spring and piston removed to ensure bolts are flush

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Thats an amazing party trick ! Go on John - what am I thinking?

Once again the knowledge on here of a very mixed variety of subjects amazes me.
    I dread to think

John

Quote Originally Posted by ratpellet View Post
    Anyone have one for sale
    I have 2 of these Diana 3X scopes in metal, the special mount which also adjusts your reticle position for sighting has a dovetail clamp of total length 50mm and tightens down to 8.3 mm.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD