Thread: Diana Model 27 L ?

Diana Model 27 L ?

Why did Diana make 5 different design model 27s ? I just got a really rusty one, managed to clean it up a bit with coarse wire wool and oil. It has "37" stamped on in various parts, is that the year of manufacture ?

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

i thought the quarter stocked ones were earlier,i have a 1938 half stocked 27,there does seem to be several variations,mine is a smooth bore with a very nice trigger.
    ATB

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi would say it's the serial number, being it is on a number of parts. Diana useually stamped the date of manufacture on the stock.

I agree with Mick. By the mid-1930s all Dianas were half-stocked, I think.

You can tell the difference between the earlier post-WW1 Diana air rifles and the later ones by the Diana goddess design. The earlier ones showed a lot of leg (oo-er!) and the later ones were more modest. I think the changeover was very early 1930s (this Diana 45 1st series has the early goddess and is dated June '31).

There may have been some overlap between models as parts were used up...
    Last edited by Garvin; 25-10-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    i thought the quarter stocked ones were earlier,i have a 1938 half stocked 27,there does seem to be several variations,mine is a smooth bore with a very nice trigger.
    ATB
    This is also a smooth bore, mechanically in good condition, the stock has not been dinged and came off easily. One problem I had to sort which I have never experienced before in 50 years of fiddling with air rifles, the cocking lever jumped over the piston and blocked it from the back so it could not be withdrawn from the cylinder.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    This is also a smooth bore, mechanically in good condition, the stock has not been dinged and came off easily. One problem I had to sort which I have never experienced before in 50 years of fiddling with air rifles, the cocking lever jumped over the piston and blocked it from the back so it could not be withdrawn from the cylinder.

Baz
    i've only had mine a short while,it came to me with an over size spring both in length and diameter.after being cocked a few times it jammed in the cocked position and i had to disassemble it that way.i had difficulty finding a spring the right diameter over here so got one from germany,just needed shortening.the trigger also has quite a strong spring that pushes forward,that also needed replacing but a local hardware shop had a match.it now works as it should,great trigger but a bit wasted on a smooth bore.

ATB