Thread: Uberti Colt Walker

Uberti Colt Walker

Do any members own one? If so, please let me know as I need to find out the dia. and if possible length of the two pins at the front of the frame that locate and align frame and barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Greygoose View Post
    Do any members own one? If so, please let me know as I need to find out the dia. and if possible length of the two pins at the front of the frame that locate and align frame and barrel.
    A friend of mine has two. I have e-mailed him for the info.

I'll get back to you if no one beats me to it.

His reply:-

That would probably depend on what Make of Colt Walker he as , as they are not all identical some parts might be and others might not be ... Bernard from Stockport who comes to Pinner as a Colt Walker and he needed a wedge for his Colt Walker as the spring on it had broke , Kranks gave him 2 wedges but they were both different and would not fit his Colt Walker , and my Colt Walker wedge was different size than his . He gave me the 2 wedges kranks had given him as they were no good to him and they would not fit my Colt Walker . So I removed the springs from the 2 kranks wedges and fitted one of the springs to Bernards Colt Walker wedge and the other spring I fitted to my Colt Walker wedge as that needed a new spring . So not every make of Colt Walker are the same when it comes to parts . It’s funny that he needs the 2 pins for his Colt Walker as they are a tight fit in the frame . He would be better measuring the holes in the part of the barrel that goes over the pins in the frame . I can get my ASM Colt Walker pins width but I can only measure how far they stick out as trying to get them out of the frame just to measure how long they are would probably knacker the outside part of the pins up as you would probably have to use grips on them to get them out . If he measured the holes width on his Colt , he could soon find out how deep the holes in the frame and barrel part are to work out the length of the pins he needs ... See you Dave

Sorry I can't help you.
    Atb.
    Last edited by enfield2band; 26-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    A friend of mine has two. I have e-mailed him for the info.

I'll get back to you if no one beats me to it.

His reply:-

That would probably depend on what Make of Colt Walker he as , as they are not all identical some parts might be and others might not be ... Bernard from Stockport who comes to Pinner as a Colt Walker and he needed a wedge for his Colt Walker as the spring on it had broke , Kranks gave him 2 wedges but they were both different and would not fit his Colt Walker , and my Colt Walker wedge was different size than his . He gave me the 2 wedges kranks had given him as they were no good to him and they would not fit my Colt Walker . So I removed the springs from the 2 kranks wedges and fitted one of the springs to Bernards Colt Walker wedge and the other spring I fitted to my Colt Walker wedge as that needed a new spring . So not every make of Colt Walker are the same when it comes to parts . It’s funny that he needs the 2 pins for his Colt Walker as they are a tight fit in the frame . He would be better measuring the holes in the part of the barrel that goes over the pins in the frame . I can get my ASM Colt Walker pins width but I can only measure how far they stick out as trying to get them out of the frame just to measure how long they are would probably knacker the outside part of the pins up as you would probably have to use grips on them to get them out . If he measured the holes width on his Colt , he could soon find out how deep the holes in the frame and barrel part are to work out the length of the pins he needs ... See you Dave

Sorry I can't help you.
    Atb.
    Thank you, pins must have come out when sitting in boiling water and then I threw the baby out with the bathwater. I will make replacements out of drill bit shanks probably depending on dia.

Thank you, pins must have come out when sitting in boiling water and then I threw the baby out with the bathwater. I will make replacements out of drill bit shanks probably depending on dia.
    Hi, An update from my friend:-

I measured the thickness of the pins with a micrometer and they are both 138 tho thick .. I measured how much they stick out of the barrel section with electronic callipers and they stick out 187 tho , so the length will be double what they are sticking out ... the pins sticking out of the barrel section have a Very Slight tapper on the ends of them presumably to help them locate in the holes in the action ... see you Dave .

I hope it helps.

So 4.5 m.m dia. Just get a 4.5 m.m drill, stick the smooth end in a hole and cut off at the right length, it isn't critical. Do the same for the other then chuck them in a drill to file on a slight taper to help alignment. Secure them in the frame with either epoxy or a loctite type adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    So 4.5 m.m dia. Just get a 4.5 m.m drill, stick the smooth end in a hole and cut off at the right length, it isn't critical. Do the same for the other then chuck them in a drill to file on a slight taper to help alignment. Secure them in the frame with either epoxy or a loctite type adhesive.
    Hi .. 138 tho is 3.5 mm NOT 4.5 mm .. 187 tho sticking out of the barrel section is 4.76mm long . Dave .

Hi .. 138 tho is 3.5 mm NOT 4.5 mm ... And 187 tho is 4.76 mm that’s sticking out of the barrel section . Dave

Uberti Colt Walker

Hi . 138 tho is 3.50 mm NOT 4.5 mm ... 187 tho is 4.76 mm that’s sticking out of the barrel section . Dave

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    4.5mm is appoximately .180" dia. so too big.
    You cannot file a drill down it has a similar hardness to a file. It would have to be ground or honed with an oilstone.
    The length is critical. If it is too long it will not mate as it should.
    It does not need to be tapered that will allow side play.
    A chamfer at the start of the pin is all that is needed to guide it in.

I would be wary of using a drill blank. If you drop the frame and one snaps off you will not be able to drill into it to extract it.
    I think a mild steel pin case hardened would be less liable to snap.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    4.5mm is appoximately .180" dia. so too big.
    You cannot file a drill down it has a similar hardness to a file. It would have to be ground or honed with an oilstone.
    The length is critical. If it is too long it will not mate as it should.
    It does not need to be tapered that will allow side play.
    A chamfer at the start of the pin is all that is needed to guide it in.
    My bad, that should be 3.5 m.m. The reason I suggested cutting down a drill is it's easy to obtain rather than having to buy an 18 ft length. You can usually cut the non pointed end as that bit is usually left softer so the chuck can get a better grip. I should point out that I did own a Walker repro (Armi San Marco), and lost one of those pins and that is how I replaced it. I also manufactured a replacement trigger/ lock bolt spring and loading lever latch.