Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Club .177 power figures .

I’ve had a thought ! ( dangerous I know ) .

But ...

Trying to think logically , the action comes out of the stock and is then put back into the stock .

I’m wondering is it unheard of for maybe the action to sit slightly differently in the stock thus causing inaccuracy ?

Mine looks right , tap sits very close to the for-end, All seems ok and neat , but I just had this thought flash through my head .

If the trigger block could maybe sit lower at the back it could raise the front sight a bit ?

Probably clutching at straws here!

Has anyone reseated an action and found differing POI ??

Thanks.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    maybe worth giving the barrel a clean ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    maybe worth giving the barrel a clean ?
    Got some old felt cleaning pellets somewhere , fire a couple through dry ?

Naturally it’s peeing down so I can’t test my action re-seating idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    I’ve had a thought ! ( dangerous I know ) .

But ...

Trying to think logically , the action comes out of the stock and is then put back into the stock .

I’m wondering is it unheard of for maybe the action to sit slightly differently in the stock thus causing inaccuracy ?

Mine looks right , tap sits very close to the for-end, All seems ok and neat , but I just had this thought flash through my head .

If the trigger block could maybe sit lower at the back it could raise the front sight a bit ?

Probably clutching at straws here!

Has anyone reseated an action and found differing POI ??

Thanks.
    Frequently with a particular MKII. It was the most sensitive creature I ever owned and it took much exasperation and experimentation to get it to shoot to an inch at 20 Yards. groups varied from 4" down to 1" depending on how tight the stock fixings were . Granted, pellets were usually Marksman or Caledonian . Even using it in the rain would throw everything to pot. After carrying a T bar screwdriver and a spring balance every time I took it out I eventually gave up with it. It would shoot straight but only if IT wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Frequently with a particular MKII. It was the most sensitive creature I ever owned and it took much exasperation and experimentation to get it to shoot to an inch at 20 Yards. groups varied from 4" down to 1" depending on how tight the stock fixings were . Granted, pellets were usually Marksman or Caledonian . Even using it in the rain would throw everything to pot. After carrying a T bar screwdriver and a spring balance every time I took it out I eventually gave up with it. It would shoot straight but only if IT wanted to.
    Thing is it was shooting really accurately pre service , So I can’t give up and just accept it’s got a mind of it’s own.

If the rain stops I can test further. The only fix I found was the match stick tapped atop the front sight , but that’s not really a long term fix. Even if I manage to get a higher front sight it still begs the question why the change ?

It’s grouping ok yesterday , just high.

Thing is it was shooting really accurately pre service -----------------
    Do you need to think this through any more than what you have already observed Steve?

To eliminate other possibilities and what has been offered previously.
    Run a brass former through the bore to scour the rifling followed by the brush then patches.
    Did you manage to check the bore for 'shadow' ?

No Steve, that is grabbing at straws mate.
    For all intents the function of the action is independent of the stock .
    If the action was loose in the stock your shooting would be all over the shop not just the elevation. It is not loose, is it?

Steve, for accuracy this is the core; the condition of the barrel (rifling and true) and the relationship between the sights relative to the barrel.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-07-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Got some old felt cleaning pellets somewhere , fire a couple through dry ?

Naturally it’s peeing down so I can’t test my action re-seating idea.
    they are crap. id remove the tap and pull thru. wd40 works as a bore cleaner.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks Gents ,

Worth a bash with removing the action but no change in POI as expected.

Never cleaned an air rifle barrel in my life , but will order a cleaning kit and try that .