Thread: Heavier stock

Heavier stock

Will a heavier stock, reduce the barrel waggle when on target, i see Russ in another thread mentions drilling & weight loading his stock. I like my 99 & it shoots very well for 6yds, but i want to break the 280 ceiling, so wondering if this will work or do i "need" another rifle.
    I have just seen another 99 with the stock altered to make the cheek piece adjustable, i suppose this will also increase the weight slightly

Rob,

You breaking the 280 point is as inevitable as the Sun coming up tomorrow morning !!

I have drilled out the butts of two (2) stocks - my HW95 SM, and my TX200s Custom Stocks CS800, and then placed lead in the holes.

In the case of the TX200, these were lead-filled copper tubes, which were much cleaner (and removable) compared with the HW95 SM, which just had lead pounded into the drilled out space !

Both these were done to get the centre of gravity about three (3) inches in front of the trigger guard - just right for the standing position.

I have found that it is not just the total weight, but the distribution of weight that is important.

I weighted up my HW99S, by placing lead strips along and around the existing centre-of-gravity, to a total weight of 10.5 lb.

It felt lovely in the hand - however, the rifle shot like a crock of sh!te

Splitting the weight along the barrel, front of stock, and beneath the cheek piece area, so that the balance point was again 3" in front of the trigger guard was much, much better, with the firing cycle very much subdued.

I am thinking about adding some form of barrel shroud to the HW99S, and then balancing with weight in the butt - the trouble is if the shroud is too heavy then that might act against the security of the barrel catch.

However, the HW95SM (& HW98), have very heavy shrouds, and do they not suffer from barrel catch problems, so I am encouraged

As I have said to Bob, I would love to graft the HW99S into an ally-framed stock as found on the current PCP match rifles

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Russ,
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply, & your encouragement & confidence in my shooting !.

There is a guy offering stock work & fits an adjustable cheek piece, one of my thoughts was to have this done, so i could drill down & put the weight in the centre of the stock.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Weight

Rob

I'm manic on weight distribution and balance as a prime factor to aiding stability, and its much easier now with alloy stocks, wood stocks always were difficult to achieve good balance with.

This is compounded with "classic, or spring actions" as I believe yours is, as the weight of the system puts the balance naturally very forward, the classic match rifles are very difficult for this, with some such as the FWB 300 and Original 75 its near enough impossible to get perfect balance as you go over the weight limit before you reach balance with adding weight. This is further compounded when you shorten stocks, and I'm a disciple of short stock, 90% of shooters have the stock too long.

I'm old enough to have been setting up match rifles from the classic days, and this was the problem with the Original 75, my wife shot Internationally with one in the 1970's, she is short (5ft 3) and we took 2" off her stock and we could only get a little weight in the rear before we hit the max weight. It was big factor in her changing to a Walther LGR, but we still shortened the stock, although it then had a 500 gms of lead in the hollow rear stock! The balance was difficult as then the barrels were full length and solid, and often still had muzzle weights, the LGR we replaced with an alloy muzzle weight (it was factory supported and they wanted it to look original!). Interestingly we still have both, and she recently shot them at a demonstration, and declared how awful they sat compared to her modern Walther LG400 Special!

What I go for on modern set ups, on balance and weight, with modern alloy stocks the ideal is as basic, as light as possible, the steel barrels are all short now, little more than a pistol length, and what you see, the carbon tube is just to get the sight base. I start with getting the pull length (middle of butt plate to front of pistol grip) as a short as I can depending on the shooters build, to get an upright head, and compact hold triangle. The sight/barrel sleeve length I set to the maximum, (rear of system to end of muzzle 850 mm), then I start on building weight, in the rear, I add most in the rear, as its shorter from the balance point, just in front of the support hand, then add weight in the middle right over the support hand, and then some on the muzzle, my objective is to achieve a balance pole effect, heavy, and set the middle balance point just (marginally) in front of the hold, 5 to 50mm, and to achieve that by spreading the weight both ends and middle, to get to 4.5 to 5 kgs, that gives you another 0.5 to play with should you wish.
    After many hours of work making weights and testing, and the shooter trying it until they are comfortable that is a good basis for rifle set up.

But if your position and technique is rubbish it will still sway like a willow in the breeze!

Have fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Many thanks Robin, i appreciate you taking the time to comment. I don't come from a target background, so have never had coaching, so could well be my form is rubbish !

Rob

Rob,

You could still whip the arse off me, even if you were put head-to-toe in a plaster cast !!

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Rob,

You could still whip the arse off me, even if you were put head-to-toe in a plaster cast !!

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Of course he would - with all that plaster he would be more solid than the best bench rest kit you can buy!

Nobody could possibly beat him!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.