Thread: Webley Falcon

Webley Falcon

Due to arm/health issues, not been shooting for a while. Today, gave 2 rifles some exercise - an early AirSporter .22 with the pop up breech & leaf sight & a Webley Falcon in .22.
    Must say I was impressed by the Falcon. The build quality is better than the Meteors of the time, I've owned.
    I think the AS needs some work - it shoots really harshly compared to a '70's one I own. Guessing at some stage someone has shoehorned a larger spring in.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Sounds like the Airsporter needs a service.

The Falcon is a good gun, often overlooked or underrated and I agree superior to the Meteor. It was always a bit more expensive than the BSA, though.

In 1962-3 the Webley was £10/12s/6d (pounds, shillings and pence for the young people on here) while the BSA was £9/10s/0d. That additional pound and two shillings could mean a lot back then.

I always thought it curious that the Falcon was introduced in 1961, I believe, 2 years after BSA brought out the Meteor which replaced the Cadet Major, a rifle with much superior build quality and to an extent the Falcon was more like the Cadet Major’s replacement.
    Very good build quality, the Falcon had a solid cocking arm, like the Cadet Major that would do justice to a Clydeside crane!
    It’s a pity in the 60’s and 70’s the British Airgun industry went down a similar route to our country’s Motorbike and Car Industries with production run by accountants and down to a price.
    A well setup Falcon is far and away a much more desirable and attractive air rifle than a Meteor, although a good Mk1 Meteor is worth considering.

I'm a big fan of Meteors - have 3 or 4 (don't tell the wife!) ranging from mid 60's up till 2013. But the feel of the Falcon is better, reminds me more of the Mk3 than the Meteor does of the A/Sporter, if you know what I mean. The Falcon I have is a credit to it's previous owner (a regular on here) who reblued/restored it. Back in the day, I had a newish Mk 2 Hawk - the Falcon is far better made.
    My early Sporter def needs a service. Sure it has had a big spring fitted at some stage - feels horrible compared to my early '70's A/Sporter.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    I always thought it curious that the Falcon was introduced in 1961, I believe, 2 years after BSA brought out the Meteor which replaced the Cadet Major, a rifle with much superior build quality and to an extent the Falcon was more like the Cadet Major’s replacement.
    Very good build quality, the Falcon had a solid cocking arm, like the Cadet Major that would do justice to a Clydeside crane!
    It’s a pity in the 60’s and 70’s the British Airgun industry went down a similar route to our country’s Motorbike and Car Industries with production run by accountants and down to a price.
    A well setup Falcon is far and away a much more desirable and attractive air rifle than a Meteor, although a good Mk1 Meteor is worth considering.
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    I'm a big fan of Meteors - have 3 or 4 (don't tell the wife!) ranging from mid 60's up till 2013. But the feel of the Falcon is better, reminds me more of the Mk3 than the Meteor does of the A/Sporter, if you know what I mean. The Falcon I have is a credit to it's previous owner (a regular on here) who reblued/restored it. Back in the day, I had a newish Mk 2 Hawk - the Falcon is far better made.
    My early Sporter def needs a service. Sure it has had a big spring fitted at some stage - feels horrible compared to my early '70's A/Sporter.
    Agreed, both. Falcons are nice.

Nearly as nice as German Diana 27s. 😊