Testing, as I have, two Webley Mk3 from the '60s, I was hard pressed to obtain 2 inch groups at 25 yds, using a selection of pellets - including old .22 (5.6mm) pellets. This was very disappointing.

Fortunately, my own two Mk3s both produce tight 3/4 inch groups at 25 yds (S.domes) - which is pleasing given that open sights are used.

I think it was Lakey, here, who advised me that 'button rifling' was introduced by Webley in the late '60s or early '70s. Given my Mk3s are late production, this tends to suggest that the later rifles benefitted from the improved barrels.

What about the earlier Mk3s? Are they accurate? Or is it a hit and miss situation, depending upon the production performance/skill on the day of manufacture?

I had been toying with the idea of adding an early Mk3 to my collection but it seems that accuracy is something of a lottery that cannot be depended upon. It seems that quality control in the factory, in this particular respect, was not at all good and this is surprising given the superb quality of the general appearance.

Despite cost cutting elsewhere, the last years of production do seem to have the benefit of good accuracy and perhaps these later products should attract a premium, if I am correct in my observations.

I am wondering what other owners have experienced.

Rgds to all Mk3 devotees!

A