Thread: Eley Wasp Pellets production twist ?

Eley Wasp Pellets production twist ?

As I understand it the new wasp pellets are pretty poor, the tin I bought to put through my older rifles were not bad for plinking at close range but pretty naff at distance for target card shooting.

The original " Eley Wasps " shoot much better and look better quality with a much thicker skirt. They are clean and shiny and generally just look a better grade of pellet.

So I thought in my ignorance the choice was the original wasps or the bar coded modern tins. But no there is a slight twist in the production.

The original tins " Eley " were pale blue ( 5.6mm ) the modern tins a darker shade and marked " Bisley " etc etc..

I came across some older sealed pellets original priced at £5 and still with the dry original Sellotape sealing them, pale blue tins marked "Bisley " but no bar code.

I took a chance and bought them .

On inspection they look like Eley wasps in a direct comparison .

So my question is did Bisley carry on producing the original wasps for a period of time before it all went down hill ?

If they did why didn't they just carry on with a proven winner ?

Slightly off subject,you just reminded me, the view from Waitrose's café takes in the lead tower.

Spared the wrecking ball,and surrounded by new development off Hoole Lane.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    As I understand it the new wasp pellets are pretty poor, the tin I bought to put through my older rifles were not bad for plinking at close range but pretty naff at distance for target card shooting.

The original " Eley Wasps " shoot much better and look better quality with a much thicker skirt. They are clean and shiny and generally just look a better grade of pellet.

So I thought in my ignorance the choice was the original wasps or the bar coded modern tins. But no there is a slight twist in the production.

The original tins " Eley " were pale blue ( 5.6mm ) the modern tins a darker shade and marked " Bisley " etc etc..

I came across some older sealed pellets original priced at £5 and still with the dry original Sellotape sealing them, pale blue tins marked "Bisley " but no bar code.

I took a chance and bought them .

On inspection they look like Eley wasps in a direct comparison .

So my question is did Bisley carry on producing the original wasps for a period of time before it all went down hill ?

If they did why didn't they just carry on with a proven winner ?
    I'm sure I read on here that the started producing Original Wasps in New Zealand , with the original moulds?
    I know with toy soldiers that they scan one and then make a mould from that. It is a pity they are not doing it with the original eley wasps.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I'm sure I read on here that the started producing Original Wasps in New Zealand , with the original moulds?
    I know with toy soldiers that they scan one and then make a mould from that. It is a pity they are not doing it with the original eley wasps.
    I just don't get why they'd bin a winner.

Unless the machinery used to produce them was at the end of its usefulness ?

I have found the bisley wasps with no bar code to be no better than the barcoded wasps......
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Bisley bought out the eley brand towards the late 90's. But eley kept the moulds as Bisley only bought the brand and not the machinery so eley destroyed them. Bisley then had to make their own moulds which were not as good as the eley ones. Bisley have been selling the shite brand of wasps since. I still have 4off original tins i bought back in 1989. They fetch silly money now on evilbay going for around £50 per tin. Even empty original wasp tins are fetching £25
    I think you've mentioned this £50 a tin and £25 for an empty before ?

I've monitored the bay of fleas for a long time , I've even bought the odd tin over the months for about £15/18 per tin, both full and one sealed.

Now empty but that's what there for.

There were three empty tins up for ages starting at a fiver with no bids.

How do we know the moulds were destroyed straight away or even at all ?

Maybe Bisley bought old stock ??
    Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 30-10-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    I think you've mentioned this £50 a tin and £25 for an empty before ?

I've monitored the bay of fleas for a long time , I've even bought the odd tin over the months for about £15/18 per tin, both full and one sealed.

Now empty but that's what there for.

There were three empty tins up for ages starting at a fiver with no bids.

How do we know the moulds were destroyed straight away or even at all ?

Maybe Bisley bought old stock ??
    Why ask as you seem to know all the answers yourself buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Why ask as you seem to know all the answers yourself buddy!
    I haven’t given any answers. I’m merely asking questions through discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    I have found the bisley wasps with no bar code to be no better than the barcoded wasps......
    I’ve not really tested them properly yet, I’ll compare them visually and weight, then performance.

They certainly look nothing like the modern thin skirted dull dark lead modern ones , and very like the older Eley wasps, both types in the older pale blue tins unlike the darker bar coded modern tins.

That’s what makes me think perhaps they are old Eley stock re tinned as “ Bisley Wasps “

I realise looks can be deceiving and ultimately the proof is in the pudding.