Thread: Replica No32 T scope

Replica No32 T scope

A while back I bought a replica No32 MK2 scope from the States. (Numrich).This was a complete kit with bracket and mounts which I managed to fit to my 1944 No4 MK 1/2 Lee Enfield. I was really happy with the result as it looked the part and I could shoot it without wearing out an original rare historic No4 T.
    No Matter how I tried I could not get it to group. Eventually I gave up and fitted a modern scope on a no gunsmithing mount and did some load development. Best group was 2.5 MOA, more than acceptable for a 75 year old rifle I thought.
    Back with the No32 replica it still would not group. It was the scope not holding zero. I bought a couple of books on these scopes and the pulled the replica apart. Although it is marked and sold as a MK2 the internals have no anti-backlash springs. This was the problem with the MK 1 scope which lead to the MK2 being introduced.
    Looking at the range drum it is built as a MK1 scope having detents at range intervals rather than evenly spaced as on the MK 2. It seems that a MK1 scope was copied but labelled as a MK2. I then bought a genuine No4 T with MK2 scope, fitted with the later anti-backlash springs. It holds zero perfectly on my replica rifle. Optically it is actually a tad better than the replica which amazed me given that it is 75 years old.
    Does anyone know of a person/company who could do something with the replica scope by way of installing anti-backlash springs? Otherwise this replica is really only any good as a re-enactment prop. Obviously my experience has only been with this one example, has anyone had a better experience with replica No32 scopes?

No32 replica

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJW View Post
    A while back I bought a replica No32 MK2 scope from the States. (Numrich).This was a complete kit with bracket and mounts which I managed to fit to my 1944 No4 MK 1/2 Lee Enfield. I was really happy with the result as it looked the part and I could shoot it without wearing out an original rare historic No4 T.
    No Matter how I tried I could not get it to group. Eventually I gave up and fitted a modern scope on a no gunsmithing mount and did some load development. Best group was 2.5 MOA, more than acceptable for a 75 year old rifle I thought.
    Back with the No32 replica it still would not group. It was the scope not holding zero. I bought a couple of books on these scopes and the pulled the replica apart. Although it is marked and sold as a MK2 the internals have no anti-backlash springs. This was the problem with the MK 1 scope which lead to the MK2 being introduced.
    Looking at the range drum it is built as a MK1 scope having detents at range intervals rather than evenly spaced as on the MK 2. It seems that a MK1 scope was copied but labelled as a MK2. I then bought a genuine No4 T with MK2 scope, fitted with the later anti-backlash springs. It holds zero perfectly on my replica rifle. Optically it is actually a tad better than the replica which amazed me given that it is 75 years old.
    Does anyone know of a person/company who could do something with the replica scope by way of installing anti-backlash springs? Otherwise this replica is really only any good as a re-enactment prop. Obviously my experience has only been with this one example, has anyone had a better experience with replica No32 scopes?
    Have you tried Fultons at Bisley, they normally sort my No 32s out for me.

A

There is a gentleman called Paul Burke from Birmingham, who is an expert on vintage glass. You will find him on a google search. Or there is a forum called Milsurps, where Peter Laidler and other experts on the 4T and no.32 scope post. You will probably get good advice there.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    There is a gentleman called Paul Burke from Birmingham, who is an expert on vintage glass. You will find him on a google search. Or there is a forum called Milsurps, where Peter Laidler and other experts on the 4T and no.32 scope post. You will probably get good advice there.
    Isnt Laidler still in prison?

Dear me, I just googled that. Looks like my info on Laidler is out of date. But he certainly was an expert on the no.32 Scope, back in the day. Would still ask on the Milsurp forum though as there is a lot of people interested in the No.32 scope there.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."