Thread: Ruger Old Army

Ruger Old Army

I was getting things together to shoot my ROA at the range today.
    After its last outing it was cleaned, oiled and stored away but I noticed today that the handle was loose.
    I just happened to hold the barrel and handle at the same time and noticed movement.
    The screw in front of the trigger guard and the two on eithe side of the hammer were loose.
    Ive had the gun a god while now without problems so, is this regular.

Quote Originally Posted by weebeestie View Post
    I was getting things together to shoot my ROA at the range today.
    After its last outing it was cleaned, oiled and stored away but I noticed today that the handle was loose.
    I just happened to hold the barrel and handle at the same time and noticed movement.
    The screw in front of the trigger guard and the two on eithe side of the hammer were loose.
    Ive had the gun a god while now without problems so, is this regular.
    It is if you don't do regular maintenance. It's called shooting loose, and happens to ALL the screws on a revolver. The frame screws are Nyloc-type, but since I bought the last four from Ruger about eight years ago, you'll have to find your own if you lose one or it wears out. There are only a certain number of times that they can be tightened up, lessen you use something like Lok-tite blue.

I guess that you mean grip, rather than handle?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Agree with Tac here. I always check external screws before shooting any gun I own but particularly so on muzzle loaders.

BTW: Don't you strip it down to clean it? I take my ROA completely apart about every third time I clean it (which is of course also about every third time I shoot it).
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Well thats ok then.
    Cant say i've ever noticed loose scews before as I did give the gun a strip down and clean once and awhile.
    I've been using a substitute recently so not been as thorough with the cleaning regime
    Recon I'll need to keep checking and buy a bottle of thread lock.

Quote Originally Posted by weebeestie View Post
    Well thats ok then.
    Cant say i've ever noticed loose scews before as I did give the gun a strip down and clean once and awhile.
    I've been using a substitute recently so not been as thorough with the cleaning regime
    Recon I'll need to keep checking and buy a bottle of thread lock.
    The subs are more corrosive in their own way than the real BP. They produce a different set of corrosive acids that do not react as readily with water as BP.

yep, both my ROA's self loosen their screws occasionally, I just retighten when cleaning. Just a word of caution, I tightened the grips a tad too
    much on my short model one with the white grips and pulled the insert through. Managed a repair but always careful not to over do it again.!!

all seem tight on my 1858 NMA
    dont use it as much now but did years ago and no screws came loose just broke a sear spring.