Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Airsporter RB2 tune

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Great. We eagerly await the birth of the BSA ShedSporter SB.

I like the early Airsporters. the Mk I & II. The conical breech exempts them from conversion though, so I suppose a late BSA Airsporter-S with the heavy barrel would be the optimum for sliding breech. I wonder if there is enough room in there for making a 22mm longstroke, to give low recoil etc?
    it needs the RB cylinder - just throw away the breech itself, and it's ready to go... worst case I might open the access port up a bit. I already have some 30mm OD (need to shave 1mm off) 24mm ID tube that I used some of for my hw80, so that's sorted - it'll be 24mm. Just trim down an hw or tx piston to suit.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    it needs the RB cylinder - just throw away the breech itself, and it's ready to go... worst case I might open the access port up a bit. I already have some 30mm OD (need to shave 1mm off) 24mm ID tube that I used some of for my hw80, so that's sorted - it'll be 24mm. Just trim down an hw or tx piston to suit.
    This is the sort of thing I'd love to do but don't have the engineering knowledge.

This will be highly interesting to see being done.

I once had the idea of trying to convert a BSA Spitfire into a Mercury PCP but all the dimensions were wrong.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    This is the sort of thing I'd love to do but don't have the engineering knowledge.
    I will demonstrate how little skill is needed, trust me
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I will demonstrate how little skill is needed, trust me
    I expect a lathe is needed?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I expect a lathe is needed?

Pete
    If you see Jon's lathe, you would be a bit taken aback. The Shed Tuner name is completely accurate, and the lathe is something that might have come from the metalwork room of a 1940s School for Children of the Undeserving Poor.

Nothing fancy.

As far as I can tell he taught himself, just got in there and did it. Very few of his guns are 'lookers', all for performance.

Now if you got an old lathe and, say for example, an HW35 ....
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 19-11-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Now if you got an old lathe and, say for example, an HW35 ....
    Don't need no lathe, an angle grinder will do

Pete

If you see Jon's lathe, you would be a bit taken aback. The Shed Tuner name is completely accurate, and the lathe is something that might have come from the metalwork room of a 1940s School for Children of the Undeserving Poor.
    i feel i should be somewhat offended, but your description is uncannily accurate.

Sounds good. Looking forward to this one.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

So then Jon are you going to be building in some sort of anti bear trap system?

Pete

The other niggly problem I can see is the breech end of the barrel will be flush with the end wall of the cylinder, doesn't make it very easy trying to get a pellet in the bore, at least with the usual suspects (PS/TX/97) the barrel protrudes and allows a bit easier access to insert a pellet, I don't think it's going to be easy to get the barrel out to move back either with out doing damage to the cylinder.

Or are you going the whole hog and fitting a completely different barrel?

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 21-11-2019 at 05:54 AM.

Or are you going the whole hog and fitting a completely different barrel?

Pete
    yup, will fit a new barrel and have it protruding in 8mm ish, like a tx or hw... the current bore is too loose at the breech anyways, the pellet would just fall out backwards.

ABT I have no idea, I might just hold tight to the lever, like you have to do on a HW77/97

yup, will fit a new barrel and have it protruding in 8mm ish, like a tx or hw... the current bore is too loose at the breech anyways, the pellet would just fall out backwards.

ABT I have no idea, I might just hold tight to the lever, like you have to do on a HW77/97
    Would it be treated to a rotary piston with bearings?

Pete

Would it be treated to a rotary piston with bearings?

Pete
    probably, because it's actually easier...

probably, because it's actually easier...
    Interesting, so what are you going to do about the trigger set up, are you going retro fit CD or something else?

Pete

Interesting, so what are you going to do about the trigger set up, are you going retro fit CD or something else?

Pete
    Rekord...