Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Airsporter RB2 tune

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Accepted, Pete.

But I still love 'em!

And they're a joy to work on compared to many other guns.
    Ask Pete about the nut on the back block of his BSA Mercury, I dare you.

That tale is the airgun equivalent of one of Kafka's short stories. It has a happy ending though, but not until you have experienced despair and existential anguish beyond your darkest imaginings.

It's a tribute to Pete's moral courage and infinite patience that he did not just go barmy and batter it to death with a sledge-hammer or chop it up with an angle-grinder. I think I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

That tale is the airgun equivalent of one of Kafka's short stories. It has a happy ending though, but not until you have experienced despair and existential anguish beyond your darkest imaginings.

It's a tribute to Pete's moral courage and infinite patience that he did not just go barmy and batter it to death with a sledge-hammer or chop it up with an angle-grinder. I think I would have.
    Hee hee hee! Yes, I read about him having to chop one off!

Engineering excellence at its best, eh? And this is often touted as one of BSA's better guns! This one of mine looks like it hasn't had much use and also exhibits some signs of Pete's other love.....cocking lever galling! The metal slipper plate that lives under the cocking link retainer / forend screw bracket is showing definite signs. And also a bit on the cylinder just ahead of the start of the cocking slot. None of it a problem and easily sorted, though.

Battering it to death could come to mine if it doesn't want to play nice. Or I could just put it back together, pop a new breech seal in, hope it works okay and go and trade it in for a nice, trusty HW.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

Considering the amount of Mercs and 'sporters I've stripped down over the years that was the only one I've ever had problems with, believe me I've lost my temper with things in the past, I once beat the living shit out of a snap on ratchet because it wouldn't click round when I was laying under the car with my finger holding on a nut in an awkward angle, it got thrown across the garage put in the vice and beaten to an inch of it's life with the biggest hammer I could find and then cut in half, I felt so much better afterwards

Oh and once the spinning end block was of the cylinder, it did get a good hiding but just cutting it off was therapeutic in itself, that was a problem rifle from the start because the piston head was also stuck in the cylinder and had to be beaten out with a long thin screw driver down the transfer port, I'm surprised I didn't give up on guns altogether after that one.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hee hee hee! Yes, I read about him having to chop one off!

Engineering excellence at its best, eh? And this is often touted as one of BSA's better guns! This one of mine looks like it hasn't had much use and also exhibits some signs of Pete's other love.....cocking lever galling! The metal slipper plate that lives under the cocking link retainer / forend screw bracket is showing definite signs. And also a bit on the cylinder just ahead of the start of the cocking slot. None of it a problem and easily sorted, though.

Battering it to death could come to mine if it doesn't want to play nice. Or I could just put it back together, pop a new breech seal in, hope it works okay and go and trade it in for a nice, trusty HW.
    It needs plenty of grease on the slipper plate and cocking slide area Tone, if you can't get it apart mate then send it to me and I'll hit it with a big hammer for you, I'll be happy to have a go at stripping it for you if you can't get it apart.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Cheers, Pete.

Panic ye not, pretty sure I'll get the bleeder off. I'm sure there's a hefty lump hammer lurking in the garage!

Yep, I'd already thought about the cocking link rubbing issues. I'll polish the slipper plate and cocking link and also the small area on the cylinder. And then it'll be treated to some 60% moly paste.

Strange that many manufacturers don't use things similar to the Gamo cocking link "stirrups" as they're cheap and seemingly work fine.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Cheers, Pete.

Panic ye not, pretty sure I'll get the bleeder off. I'm sure there's a hefty lump hammer lurking in the garage!

Yep, I'd already thought about the cocking link rubbing issues. I'll polish the slipper plate and cocking link and also the small area on the cylinder. And then it'll be treated to some 60% moly paste.

Strange that many manufacturers don't use things similar to the Gamo cocking link "stirrups" as they're cheap and seemingly work fine.
    Very true Tone, Gamo are strange bunch, they penny pinch when it comes to BSA but have some good things on their own rifles but also some crap things.

Pete

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Sorry to bring the thread back on topic

accuracy test at 25 yards today with a 4x mag BSA scope... not bad with hobbies, need to find some superdomes, or large H&Ns:
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I had a few shots with my S carbine today, I forgot how pleasant it is too shoot, just feels a little agricultural compared to something more modern (I nearly compared it to my Prosport, which is wrong), I think it just needs setting up properly and it would be much better than it is now, I once nearly put some small roller bearings on the under lever pivot, I have replaced the roll pin with a bit of stainless steel bar, which I feel improves things but I feel it has a bit too much lateral movement for my liking.

Pete

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

accuracy test at 25 yards today with a 4x mag BSA scope... not bad with hobbies, need to find some superdomes, or large H&Ns:
    Holy smoke that ain't bad! I have some wadcutter JSBs in 5.5, I could send you a dozen. They are very posh.

Holy smoke that ain't bad! I have some wadcutter JSBs in 5.5, I could send you a dozen. They are very posh.
    Thanks - yes, it's OK. Certainly adequate at that (25 yard) range.. if the fundamentals are there, it's just a bit of re-engineering with most guns

Appreciate the offer of some trial pellets, but it seems to like larger ammo - I'm sure it's a 5.6mm. Going to try defiants and domes when I next buy a batch.. but to be fair, the hobbies are fine.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks - yes, it's OK. Certainly adequate at that (25 yard) range.. if the fundamentals are there, it's just a bit of re-engineering with most guns

Appreciate the offer of some trial pellets, but it seems to like larger ammo - I'm sure it's a 5.6mm. Going to try defiants and domes when I next buy a batch.. but to be fair, the hobbies are fine.
    I've got some Defiant Vintage 5.6 if you want to try some Jon.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I've got some Defiant Vintage 5.6 if you want to try some Jon.

Pete
    got a couple of boxes thanks.. it's the domes i've managed to run out of.. easily replaced thoughh

]
    Nice, Jon.

I have found that RWS Superdomes work well in 5.6mm barrels. I think they have soft skirts, and like Hobbys, they open up and grip the bore neatly once they have some high pressure air up the chuff. Give them a go.

I have found that RWS Superdomes work well in 5.6mm barrels. I think they have soft skirts, and like Hobbys, they open up and grip the bore neatly once they have some high pressure air up the chuff. Give them a go.
    I'm using Air Arms in my S, I think it has the same soft skirts as mentioned, I'm sure I tried Superdomes in mine but where not as good as the AA's.

Pete