Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 2250XL only 460 FPS!

Crosman 2250XL only 460 FPS!

I've just bought a brand new Crosman 2250XL, and the label on the box suggests it'll do up to only 460 FPS.

I'm led to believe the standard 2250 is capable of 550 FPS, and this is the version with a shorter barrel. The 2250 has a 14 inch barrel, and the 2250XL has an 18 inch barrel.

I was under the impression that these 2250XL did around 9ft/ib, maybe more.

If this 2250XL only does 460 FPS at best, this puts it only marginally more powerful than my 2240 pistol if the stock spec' is right.

Am I missing something or have these things now been severely restricted?

have you chrono'd it to double check it??

Quote Originally Posted by the logun-ator View Post
    have you chrono'd it to double check it??
    Unfortunately, I don't have a chrono but I'm looking into buying one of those F1 that are widely available.

I think I'll go in the back garden tomorrow & just fire pellets into some wood comparing the 2240 pistol with the 2250XL.

If I don't see a fair bit more penetration with the 2250XL I'll be returning it for a refund.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    they will easily do 9 with the most basic of servicing / maintenance.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroexpo1 View Post
    I think I'll go in the back garden tomorrow & just fire pellets into some wood comparing the 2240 pistol with the 2250XL.

If I don't see a fair bit more penetration with the 2250XL I'll be returning it for a refund.
    don't use wood, use some thick magazines. wood can bounce back
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I wonder if a Canadian spec one has filtered through by mistake (looking back at your 1377 post, does the same velocity limit apply to rifles?).

With you having just bought it new I think it will be worth having a chat with the shop re it going back and an exchange (if they have / can get another) as, as pointed out, these normally do 9ft.lbs or slightly more.

I'm unaware if these models have anything like a bleed hole as described on the 1377 threads. Any restriction would be in the form of a slightly different valve arrangement (narrower exhaust), narrower transfer port or weaker hammer spring. Or a combination. If it was a used one, parts are easily available and a quick play would sort, but as it's new I think I'd be tempted to try for an exchange.

P.S.......Ask the shop to chrono it. It might be that the rifle is to the correct spec but left the factory in the wrong packaging?
    Last edited by TonyL; 16-11-2019 at 06:06 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I bought some 6 months ago and apart from the finish....very happy with them and over the chrono 9ftlbs!

Unfortunately, I don't have a chrono but I'm looking into buying one of those F1 that are widely available.

Take it back to the shop for them to chrono if you don't have access to one, if it's manufacturer marked as 460fps max that suggests it's limited to 6ftlb, if it's not classed as a pistol that's low.
    I wonder if it might be a grey import bought in on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Take it back to the shop for them to chrono if you don't have access to one, if it's manufacturer marked as 460fps max that suggests it's limited to 6ftlb, if it's not classed as a pistol that's low.
    I wonder if it might be a grey import bought in on the cheap.
    Hello mate,

I was also thinking I might've been sold some odd counterfeit or similar, however, I've phoned 5 or 6 reputable retailers here in the UK today & they're also stocking mine with the 460 FPS label.

This is hardly a scientific test, but as I don't have a Chrony I did the following with both my 2240 & 2250XL today & the weather was only 10oC outside, so it was cold.

About 8 metres away, I placed a 1/2 inch piece of wood flush to my fence panel which is also made of wood.

The 2240 penetrated most of the time, with the pellet skirt flush with the face of the 1/2 inch piece of wood - there was an occasional ricochet, but again, it's cold outside so power will be affected.

With the 2250XL, the pellet went through the 1/2 inch piece of wood splintering it in the rear, and the pellet would often half stick into the fence panel behind it.

My test was with the following .22 pellets; RWS Superdome 14.5g, Crosman Premier pointed & domed 14.3g, Bisley Superfield 14.6g, and RWS Superpoint extra 14.5g.

The Crosman Premier pointed & domed were best suited to the 2250XL by far, and just seemed to plough through the wood.

So, the 2250XL is certainly more powerful than the 2240 by a fair margin despite the FPS figure on both guns being 460.

Best test without Chrony used to be the old yellow pages. Used to tear out the few thick advertising pages to give consistency of resistance and test how far the pellet penetrated by the page number. Using the same AA pellets used to know basically if rifle was overpowered. After years of checking new rifles on a chrony I never trust what it says on the box, they could be using super light pellets.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Back in my yoof, I remember buying 'ballistic putty' from Manchester Airguns by mail order for the same purpose.
    It used to come with a little chart to indicate powers at various penetrations....never actually found out how accurate it was though.
    Be interesting to see now...

Hello mate,

I was also thinking I might've been sold some odd counterfeit or similar, however, I've phoned 5 or 6 reputable retailers here in the UK today & they're also stocking mine with the 460 FPS label.

This is hardly a scientific test, but as I don't have a Chrony I did the following with both my 2240 & 2250XL today & the weather was only 10oC outside, so it was cold.

About 8 metres away, I placed a 1/2 inch piece of wood flush to my fence panel which is also made of wood.

The 2240 penetrated most of the time, with the pellet skirt flush with the face of the 1/2 inch piece of wood - there was an occasional ricochet, but again, it's cold outside so power will be affected.

With the 2250XL, the pellet went through the 1/2 inch piece of wood splintering it in the rear, and the pellet would often half stick into the fence panel behind it.

My test was with the following .22 pellets; RWS Superdome 14.5g, Crosman Premier pointed & domed 14.3g, Bisley Superfield 14.6g, and RWS Superpoint extra 14.5g.

The Crosman Premier pointed & domed were best suited to the 2250XL by far, and just seemed to plough through the wood.

So, the 2250XL is certainly more powerful than the 2240 by a fair margin despite the FPS figure on both guns being 460.
    What's behind your fence panel ? Is your backstop just that fence panel ?

I would be getting a better backstop than a fence panel.

You don't want the pellets leaving your property .

No being a fun sapper ,just being cautious as to your surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Back in my yoof, I remember buying 'ballistic putty' from Manchester Airguns by mail order for the same purpose.
    It used to come with a little chart to indicate powers at various penetrations....never actually found out how accurate it was though.
    Be interesting to see now...
    As far as I can remember page 60 was around 10-11 ft lb, page 160 15 to 17 ft lb !
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    What's behind your fence panel ? Is your backstop just that fence panel ?

I would be getting a better backstop than a fence panel.

You don't want the pellets leaving your property .

No being a fun sapper ,just being cautious as to your surroundings.
    I failed to mention - before any of this, I placed a large piece of sheet metal between the fence gap (picket fence).

Safety & law come first, and as I thought it goes without saying, I never mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    As far as I can remember page 60 was around 10-11 ft lb, page 160 15 to 17 ft lb !
    At what distance was this rough test done?

I ask, as results will vary quite wildly at various distances.

At around 8m with a 14.3g .22 pellet fully going through an 1/2 inch piece of wood, then just about lodging in another piece of wood behind it - what would you say this is in ft/ib?

Would you say it's similar to say 40 > 50 pages of paper?