Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring back Field Target

Bring back Field Target

Now, I don’t have many good ideas but one did occur to me the other day, so I sent a suggestion to Terry at AGW. To my amazement he also thought it credible and has decided to try and make it happen. Terry, immediately swung into action and published my hapless ramblings in his editorial in the December edition.

For the few deranged souls that don’t ‘AGW’ every month I have enclosed a copy of my note below:

Hey Mr Doe,

How’s tricks? I Hope all is well with you and yours.

It occurs to me that FT is 40 years old next year, I think that this is something that should be celebrated.

Can I make a suggestion? As FT was started by Airgun World, how about an AGW FT shoot with a difference? How about making it in the original format?
    - 6 lanes of 5 targets
    - Shot against the clock - 90 seconds per lane for single shots, maybe 60 seconds for magazine loaders, 30 for semi autos?
    - position determined by the target, targets behind bales for standing shots, targets down tunnels for prone etc, etc
    - first lane is the chrono

Then add the side shoots
    - speed shoot
    - team speed shoot
    - dump shoot. These used to be amazing shooting weighted plastic decoys, on scarecrows, buckets etc
    - long range
    - moving target

Perhaps stage it at one of the Bisley ranges over the August bank holiday weekend?

What do you think? I would happily volunteer to help out in any way needed.

Best Regards

Richard

So, what do you chaps think?

Yes, I read this in Terry's editorial.

Yes, fantastic idea. I hope it comes off; it would make a fantastic, celebratory event.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thumbs up

Shame Broomhills (Markyate) no longer use the airgun ranges for a bit of nostalgia
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Brilliant idea.
    I sometimes used to look forward to the long range and dump shoots more than the course itself.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I had a brief foray into FT in 1988 (17 years old) and done a few shoots up here in Scotland. Was shooting a .22 Vulcan at the time with a 4x40WA (tv sight picture ) scope of some description, which didnt really compete against all those folk with their top end 77's and 2-7x32 Tasco's, hence only in the sport for a short while.

Can always remember how much much fun the side shoots were and was disappointed when i returned to the shooting scene and took up HFT that there was none on offer.

Think it would be a great idea to put on a nostalgia shoot as a homage to old times. I have been tempted to put a shoot on at my club to the first set of HFT rules in Scotland or 1st set of UKAHFT rules.

Very different back then, with no real crutches, no peg, on the elbows for your prone shots, nothing touching the deck. Targets were bigger to accommodate the difficulty, but dont really think i would get many folk to attend, still may do it as an experiment.

The side shoot element clubs up here have tried now and again, but falls down generally with needing people to man it and to be honest the take up has been about a 1/3 of competitors on the day. think some have lost a lot of the fun element of shooting.

We have had things like ' The candle in the wind' 30mm kill candle target at 70 yards, 'The frying pan of doom/justice' 10-15mm kill at 50 yds + and at the last Alba shoot, Tin Bam alley, 3 can targets to be shot with a HW99 with open sights. Each of these were done with a £1 entry and winner takes all prize. Great fun.

I hope you go ahead with your throwback to the first days of your sport and give it a go and is a successful and enjoyable day

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBam View Post
    I had a brief foray into FT in 1988 (17 years old) and done a few shoots up here in Scotland. Was shooting a .22 Vulcan at the time with a 4x40WA (tv sight picture ) scope of some description, which didnt really compete against all those folk with their top end 77's and 2-7x32 Tasco's, hence only in the sport for a short while.

Can always remember how much much fun the side shoots were and was disappointed when i returned to the shooting scene and took up HFT that there was none on offer.

Think it would be a great idea to put on a nostalgia shoot as a homage to old times. I have been tempted to put a shoot on at my club to the first set of HFT rules in Scotland or 1st set of UKAHFT rules.

Very different back then, with no real crutches, no peg, on the elbows for your prone shots, nothing touching the deck. Targets were bigger to accommodate the difficulty, but dont really think i would get many folk to attend, still may do it as an experiment.

The side shoot element clubs up here have tried now and again, but falls down generally with needing people to man it and to be honest the take up has been about a 1/3 of competitors on the day. think some have lost a lot of the fun element of shooting.

We have had things like ' The candle in the wind' 30mm kill candle target at 70 yards, 'The frying pan of doom/justice' 10-15mm kill at 50 yds + and at the last Alba shoot, Tin Bam alley, 3 can targets to be shot with a HW99 with open sights. Each of these were done with a £1 entry and winner takes all prize. Great fun.

I hope you go ahead with your throwback to the first days of your sport and give it a go and is a successful and enjoyable day
    Great read and I agree entirely.
    I’ve often thought a vintage class (rifle and optic to be no less than 30+ years old) or even an open sighted form of H/FT would be great and, as you say, inject some of the fun aspect back into competitive shooting, without requiring rules on kit, positions and even clothing.
    I don’t shoot competitive FT anymore and some of the ‘storms in teacups’ my friends who do still shoot on the circuit have told me about, I doubt I will again.

If I want grief at the weekend I’ll leave the dog on his own and allow him to have a roam around the house...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I’ve often thought a vintage class (rifle and optic to be no less than 30+ years old)
    Good idea - Id better dust of my Shamal !
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

'As FT was started by Airgun World'

Is that true?
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    Good idea - Id better dust of my Shamal !
    Shamals, Fieldmasters and Midas’s - all with 6-18 Redfields on them.
    Better make it 40 years then mate, I forgot I’d got all old and that...

Funnily enough Craig I was offered an early Shamal last week, it's like new but the original owner is getting too old to use it. It's even sitting in an early style Welham stock.

Pete

OK challenge still accepted - sussex armoury jackal woodsman with a bushnell scopechief.....might be some debate over the mounts though
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Should limit scopes to 4x too

I entered my first FT shoot in 1988 at the local Game Fair. Came 2nd in Class B using a BSA 635 Magnum (yes .25) and 4x32 scope.

Wish it was all still that simple!

Quote Originally Posted by 666 View Post
    Funnily enough Craig I was offered an early Shamal last week, it's like new but the original owner is getting too old to use it. It's even sitting in an early style Welham stock.

Pete
    How do, Pete - hope you’re well, mate.
    I had a Shamal FTS up until a few years back. Lovely rifle but sadly a bit too big for me (must have originally been built for someone like Shaun). I’d love another though, so let me know how you get on.
    I’m trying to prise my mates AirMasters NJR from his hands but he’s held onto it for the last thirty odd years...

How do, Pete - hope you’re well, mate.
    I had a Shamal FTS up until a few years back. Lovely rifle but sadly a bit too big for me (must have originally been built for someone like Shaun). I’d love another though, so let me know how you get on.
    I’m trying to prise my mates AirMasters NJR from his hands but he’s held onto it for the last thirty odd years...
    Hi Craig,

I'm well and hope you are also. Abusing Shaun again lol. I assume you are still able to run faster than him!

I saw your old one funnily enough I used to own that one also if it's the one I think it is. This one is simpler, lighter and less of a Victorian staircase than some FT Welham stocks (I Still have 3 Welham stocks on my other guns so no insult intended!) No adjustable cheek piece but the forend is adjustable and it has the fts style capping on the pistol grip.

Pete

I’ve often thought a vintage class (rifle and optic to be no less than 30+ years old) or even an open sighted form of H/FT would be great and, as you say, inject some of the fun aspect back into competitive shooting, without requiring rules on kit, positions and even clothing.
    We did discuss this on STB a year or so ago, but it was quickly pointed out that you don't really need a separate class as people are still coming in the top places in AA at GP's with things like NJR100's with old burrises on top wearing jeans, trainers and a duffle coat. 30 years old next year.

Would be an interesting shoot all the same. Might make a few feel tight around the collar who profess the only reason they don't shoot FT is because of the kit now, and not just because their old camo DPM jacket needs letting out around the midriff a bit