Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NSRA consultation on membership

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    I am the secretary of a club in the Highlands (Air, Small-bore, Full-bore, Canon, Muzzle loaded etc.), can you please tell me what benefit being a member of the NSRA would be to us???
    If you're not already affiliated then presumably none. And hopefully all your members are paid up with the NRA, MLAGB and STS to support their sport.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    If you're not already affiliated then presumably none. And hopefully all your members are paid up with the NRA, MLAGB and STS to support their sport.
    That's what we thought ;we are affiliated to the NRA but apart from their insurance cover there are no other benefits to us. We do not shoot at Bisley or use MOD ranges!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

This NSRA turmoil is all new to me.

I’m happily a member of BASC.

I’ve had the impression the NSRA are about target shooting, while the BASC are about shooting in the wider countryside context. If that impression is wrong it is down to the respective messages the two organisations have in the public domain.

The thought of a mandatory membership doesn’t sit well with me. Maybe a rebel (no), or just sick of having free will eroded away (yes).

Living in Scotland... well, enough said about licensing.

Again, out of curiosity I thought I would look to see how much NSRA membership costs and what you get for it. I went to the NSRA webpages and found ... nothing. No information on costs or benefits except for notes to contact various people. Yes, I guess I could do that but in my experience that leads to a sort of pressurised selling.... just as I will not sign up for anything unless I can see the offer in black and white and read about it.
    So ... disappointed the NSRA cannot be fully clear on what they offer from their webpages.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Again, out of curiosity I thought I would look to see how much NSRA membership costs and what you get for it. I went to the NSRA webpages and found ... nothing. No information on costs or benefits except for notes to contact various people. Yes, I guess I could do that but in my experience that leads to a sort of pressurised selling.... just as I will not sign up for anything unless I can see the offer in black and white and read about it.
    So ... disappointed the NSRA cannot be fully clear on what they offer from their webpages.
    Cheers, Phil
    I've just had a look on the NSRA website and downloaded the 'welcome deal' PDF, which I gather is intended for totally new members.

It shows the application form required to join and shows the membership fees as being :

£50 annually
    £30 Junior annually
    £210 for 3 years
    £100 Junior for 3 years

Thank you for that ... I had not got as far as downloading their documents as I expected the information to be available up front.
    Interesting though, as unless you have made a typo, their three year deal is maybe not so good!
    Cheers, Phil

82.00 annually for full membership I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Thank you for that ... I had not got as far as downloading their documents as I expected the information to be available up front.
    Interesting though, as unless you have made a typo, their three year deal is maybe not so good!
    Cheers, Phil
    I've just double checked the download, it does indeed say £210 for 3 years.

It does say though that it's part of a 'welcome deal', so if Powderfinger is correct and its normally £82 then its a £32 saving. They obviously can't afford to offer the same level of saving over 3 years and for each of those years, so the 'deal' they offer for that is a saving of £36, again based on the £82 per year normal cost.

Hopefully I've made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    That's what we thought ;we are affiliated to the NRA but apart from their insurance cover there are no other benefits to us. We do not shoot at Bisley or use MOD ranges!
    Your ranges most likely bear a Safety Certificate issued by the MoD or (if re-certified in the last 10 years) in accordance with the NRA Range Construction and Maintenance Guidelines, without which you would find it challenging to source insurance independently.

There's more to insurance than just reselling a package from Blue Fin/Perkins Slade. Actually offering an insurance package for sale is the tip of the iceberg. There's a massive amount of foundational work which convinces the insurers that not only are clubs insurable, but at a sensible rate!

STS (for instance) would have a much harder time offering their Club Insurance package without the NRA and NSRA having done the legwork on things like a Range Safety Framework (granted, cribbed from JSP403), RCO Courses and Instructor/Coach Qualifications.

NRA also represent you in Parliament (not always well publicised but NRA staff talk to civil servants and politicians more or less weekly) and also manage the Fullbore GB teams which your members could pursue if they wished. If you ran into problems with the council over noise, planning or other issues you would likely also find NRA affiliation offers a lot of benefit! It's not something you think about each time you go to the range, but if the NRA evaporated then you would feel their absence in many subtle (and increasingly detrimental) ways as time went on.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation