Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheridan Pump Ups

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Sheridan Pump Ups

I hear they are the most powerfi; airguns. Ten pumps is the legal limit, does that mean 20 is like a bullet gun?

Not unless its a 14 grain bullet moving at under 600 fps.
    Im not convinced you're teetotal.

hello, do they not have a by pass air valve to stop them going over the max pressure

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    hello, do they not have a by pass air valve to stop them going over the max pressure
    Is that only for countries with a power limit?
    Cheers, Phil

Your post read like my friend talking about his Sheridan. He had a Daisy model 25 that would blow a rabbits head clean off, his words, not mine. Late 60's and he comes over with this Sheridan Blue Streak beast, the rest of us were still shooting Daisy BB guns. It was powerful, but a 14.3 gr. pellet at 700 fps is about the max. Factory says to only pump 8 times, but I had one that would still fire with 14 pumps. You can pump them until the hammer won't dump the air. A lot of work for less power than a TX200 in FAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post

Im not convinced you're teetotal.
    I'd say he was sozzled, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

An airgun shooting acquaintance of mine (and FAC holder) used to really like his pump-ups and had various home-tweaked Sheridans, Setras, Sharps and Crosmans.

With a stronger hammer spring and lots of pumps I seem to remember he was up around the 18ft.lbs mark with the .20 Sheridan and a little more with the .22 Setra. The Crosman Model 1 produced about 14ft.lbs on 20 pumps, beefed up hammer spring again. And I seem to remember you having to cock the gun prior to pumping, thus taking the hammer tension off the exhaust valve.

The Innova and Ace would do 21ft.lbs with H&N Barracuda in .22 on 15 pumps.

A smooth shooting, nice single stroke of a Venom tuned 80 at under the limit was always just as effective (no, probably MORE effective).
    Last edited by TonyL; 06-12-2019 at 06:55 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I'd say he was sozzled, too.
    Just on troll spirit!

Some good tales here though. Innova at that power level must have kicked like a .223.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    An airgun shooting acquaintance of mine (and FAC holder) used to really like his pump-ups and had various home-tweaked Sheridans, Setras, Sharps and Crosmans.

With a stronger hammer spring and lots of pumps I seem to remember he was up around the 18ft.lbs mark with the .20 Sheridan and a little more with the .22 Setra. The Crosman Model 1 produced about 14ft.lbs on 20 pumps, beefed up hammer spring again. And I seem to remember you having to cock the gun prior to pumping, thus taking the hammer tension off the exhaust valve.

The Innova and Ace would do 21ft.lbs with H&N Barracuda in .22 on 15 pumps.

A smooth shooting, nice single stroke of a Venom tuned 80 at under the limit was always just as effective (no, probably MORE effective).
    A friend of mine had a tweaked Ace too, mate. Comparing the amount of time and work he put into it in order to obtain twenty odd foot pounds, he could have comfortably funded any top end springer of the time from any of the big name custom houses. And probably achieved better results with it...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    A friend of mine had a tweaked Ace too, mate. Comparing the amount of time and work he put into it in order to obtain twenty odd foot pounds
    Trigger pull must have been pretty heavy
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I hear they are the most powerfi; airguns. Ten pumps is the legal limit, does that mean 20 is like a bullet gun?
    In the early 1970s they were most schoolboy's dream Airgun, giving 18ftlbs without recoil.

Unfortunately the 18ftlbs took ten pumps, very few gun shops stocked .20" pellets, the triggers are shite, the sights were shite, and if you stuck a scope on it you'd naturally end up holding on to the scope while you pumped --- but saying that I still bought a Bluestreak and Silverstreak recently for my collection.

When you talk about powerful pump ups there are two British guns that are way above the Bluestreak in every way, the multi pump Titan Mohawk and the Daystate Sportsman MK2 --- both these guns give about 23 ft lbs on five or six strokes in FAC format, and I think the .25" Sportsman gives around 25ftlbs on five pumps.

Both are side lever cocking so your hand never goes near the scope, both have two stage triggers, and in UK format two pumps gives you 12ftlbs.

All the best Mick

the triggers are shite!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    In the early 1970s they were most schoolboy's dream Airgun, giving 18ftlbs without recoil.

Unfortunately the 18ftlbs took ten pumps, very few gun shops stocked .20" pellets, the triggers are shite, the sights were shite, and if you stuck a scope on it you'd naturally end up holding on to the scope while you pumped --- but saying that I still bought a Bluestreak and Silverstreak recently for my collection.

When you talk about powerful pump ups there are two British guns that are way above the Bluestreak in every way, the multi pump Titan Mohawk and the Daystate Sportsman MK2 --- both these guns give about 23 ft lbs on five or six strokes in FAC format, and I think the .25" Sportsman gives around 25ftlbs on five pumps.

Both are side lever cocking so your hand never goes near the scope, both have two stage triggers, and in UK format two pumps gives you 12ftlbs.

All the best Mick

Yes , i agree the trigger is 'shite' on blue streak, it's a badly pressed piece of plate metal. I have improved mine by cutting off & soldering a smooth, curved brass trigger. When you say 'trigger, do you mean the actual trigger? or the trigger release mechanism? kind regards Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Just on troll spirit!

Some good tales here though. Innova at that power level must have kicked like a .223.
    Yes the old innova 15 pumps wow the muzzle flip worse than a fifty cal But you can put a hole threw ten sleepers and a coal shovel

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Yes , i agree the trigger is 'shite' on blue streak, it's a badly pressed piece of plate metal. I have improved mine by cutting off & soldering a smooth, curved brass trigger. When you say 'trigger, do you mean the actual trigger? or the trigger release mechanism? kind regards Al.
    I meant the complete trigger design, Al, as it's just a very basic single stage unit --- saying that it does work and you do get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Trigger pull must have been pretty heavy
    Yep, the triggers on the Ace and Innova with 15 pumps in was pretty horrible.

I understand the rarer Victory had a different design and was unaffected by the number of pumps?