Thread: BP storage box question

BP storage box question

I've just had a 2 compartment BP box made up for me, it meets all the specs as per guidelines, but what's not completely clear to me is whether it needs to be securable to a wall / floor fixing?

Can anyone advice me .

I don't think its supposed to be secured.... I think they're supposed to have handles on so in the event of a fire they can be easily/quickly removed from the house..?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranyhyn View Post
    I've just had a 2 compartment BP box made up for me, it meets all the specs as per guidelines, but what's not completely clear to me is whether it needs to be securable to a wall / floor fixing?

Can anyone advice me .
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    I don't think its supposed to be secured.... I think they're supposed to have handles on so in the event of a fire they can be easily/quickly removed from the house..?
    This varies from FEO to FEO. Some say it must be anchored to the wall with a small chain so someone cannot pick it up and take it away.
    Others tell you to keep it in the loft. And another one will tell you not to keep it up there.
    I don't think the loft is a good place for it. It was never intended to be a storage area and if you go up there there is the risk that you could miss your footing and fall through the ceiling. And, if you have fibreglass loft insulation everytime you disturb it you will be breathing in firbreglass particles.

When they first came in it was suggested that you chuck them out of the window if there is a fire, but now it is advised that you exit the premises and tell the fire brigade that you have "x" amount of blackpowder in a box on the premises.

The BP box was never intended as a security device, it is the police that are using it as one.

The best option is to ask your FEO.

The original intention of the box was, in the event of a fire, was to give the occupants about 15-20 minutes to vacate the premises before the contents explode.. A small lock on the box was suggested to stop unauthorised access to the powder.

edit: In case you are not already aware of it you cannot keep a BP box under the stairs or above or adjacent to an exit.
    Last edited by enfield2band; 08-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    This varies from FEO to FEO. Some say it must be anchored to the wall with a small chain so someone cannot pick it up and take it away.
    Others tell you to keep it in the loft. And another one will tell you not to keep it up there.
    I don't think the loft is a good place for it. It was never intended to be a storage area and if you go up there there is the risk that you could miss your footing and fall through the ceiling. And, if you have fibreglass loft insulation everytime you disturb it you will be breathing in firbreglass particles.

When they first came in it was suggested that you chuck them out of the window if there is a fire, but now it is advised that you exit the premises and tell the fire brigade that you have "x" amount of blackpowder in a box on the premises.

The BP box was never intended as a security device, it is the police that are using it as one.

The best option is to ask your FEO.

The original intention of the box was, in the event of a fire, was to give the occupants about 15-20 minutes to vacate the premises before the contents explode.. A small lock on the box was suggested to stop unauthorised access to the powder.

edit: In case you are not already aware of it you cannot keep a BP box under the stairs or above or adjacent to an exit.
    Thank you.
    I've spoken to my FEO and they want it chained to something fixed.
    I think I've got everything sorted now ready for the visit.
    All a bit of a palaver but I do like a bit of black.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranyhyn View Post
    Thank you.
    I've spoken to my FEO and they want it chained to something fixed.
    I think I've got everything sorted now ready for the visit.
    All a bit of a palaver but I do like a bit of black.
    As ever, they seem to abide to abide by the 'constant change is here to stay' ethos.

This is the note that I put in with the ones I sell. It seems to work in most areas of the country.

This box has been built to comply with HSE regulation :-
    Explosives-Regulations-2014-Safety-Provisions-L150.pdf

If you wish to make it look pretty with paint/ varnish/ whatever please refrain until after the FEO visit as anything which detracts from the bare plywood may cause the FEO to reject your storage.

Regions vary in their requirements as to where the box can be stored and how it should be secured. What works with us is to use the supplied Bowden cable (aircraft control wire) to fasten the box to a radiator pipe or anything that the casual visitor is not likely to walk off with, while at the same time being weak enough for the firemen to remove without too much effort. Storage in a locked room or cupboard is usually acceptable as well depending on location. Under stair cwtchs or in fire escape routes is rather frowned upon.. FEO will advise.

The hinges and hasp are mounted on the outside so that they will not transfer heat to the inside in event of a fire. The plastic strip under the lid is intumescent fire strip as fitted to fire doors. It is designed to swell in intense heat and fill the gap between the lid and the box. This box will provide about twenty minutes in a hot fire before failing.

To keep a couple of areas FEO's happy I've even had to fit anti tamper screws although I've never seen a fire using a screwdriver. It's a wooden box ffs!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi