Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No.2 (5.6mm) pellets

Quote Originally Posted by Brickhill View Post
    Why would you shoot these shitty pellets though an HW80? I suppose there’s nothing wrong experimenting. My short stroked HW 80 managed two abysmal shots then I called it a day.
    did you read my post properly?? i said i had 4 tins left form what i bought back in 1990 which are the original wasps no the stuff they sell today. the old original wasps worked well in nearly every gun i had back then!

Eley Wasp resurrection

The market for 5.6mm pellets is I'm sure much smaller than 5.5mm but must be greater than say .25

The demise of the proper Eley Wasp pellets, particularly 5.6 was a sad day. The Bisley Wasp is to be polite very poor indeed. I tried some, maybe 20 and threw the rest away.

Although Bisley have the Wasp name only surely another company such as JSB could replicate them as already mentioned. Eley could even consider it seeing as they're once again selling pellets albeit. 177 match types but just change the name. Eley Vintage or Eley Stinger.

I've gathered several thousand Eley Wasp and older BSA Pylarm branded pellets over the last year or so keeping my eye out for ones no more expensive than modern pellets. £5 was the last tin of as new Pylarms and £6 a tin for 10 tins of .177 along with 4 tins of 5.6mm for £40. I love the smell you get opening a new tin.

It's worth asking in gun shops what pellets they have lying about from second hand airguns which they've bought. Those that are more shotgun and FA orientated often don't know what old pellets fetch. If you don't ask you don't get.

I might just email JSB and Eley and see what response I get.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    did you read my post properly?? i said i had 4 tins left form what i bought back in 1990 which are the original wasps no the stuff they sell today. the old original wasps worked well in nearly every gun i had back then!
    If you are ranting at me you’ve picked the wrong bloke. Read your post #25. Who the hell are you anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Brickhill View Post
    If you are ranting at me you’ve picked the wrong bloke. Read your post #25. Who the hell are you anyway?
    You're the one who ranted saying "why would you put those shit pellets through a hw80" . I used them as they were the original wasps and worked very well in my hw80. I bagged thousands if rabbits with that rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Brano View Post
    I might just email JSB and Eley and see what response I get.
    Yes, certainly worth emailing JSB and Eley to see what you get back. Do let us know!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Yes, certainly worth emailing JSB and Eley to see what you get back. Do let us know!
    It will be interesting to see what their reply is?

I would have thought JSB would have been the ones to do something, as they seem to have such a large and diverse amount of pellets in their range and have even dabbled with non toxic lead free pellets, although I already find JSB (more Air Arms pellets) go through most of my rifles with excellent results, I don't know how much it costs to make pellet moulds? I'm sure if they got the airgun mags involved, so they could get a wider audience than just this forum (they could join and ask us and other forums as well), it's not like they are a new company who have to start from scratch and buy machinery and materials or even have to learn new skills or get the skilled staff, they already have everything in place and it would only take a little bit of R&D to see if it's viable for them, I'm sure even people like John Knibbs may get in involved as a stockist because of his involvement with older rifles and the supply of parts for them (as long as his greed doesn't get the better of him and charges a damn fortune for them).

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 10-01-2020 at 06:22 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

I would have thought JSB would have been the ones to do something, as they seem to have such a large and diverse amount of pellets in their range and have even dabbled with non toxic lead free pellets, although I already find JSB (more Air Arms pellets) go through most of my rifles with excellent results, I don't know how much it costs to make pellet moulds? I'm sure if they got the airgun mags involved, so they could get a wider audience than just this forum (they could join and ask us and other forums as well), it's not like they are a new company who have to start from scratch and buy machinery and materials or even have to learn new skills or get the skilled staff, they already have everything in place and it would only take a little bit of R&D to see if it's viable for them, I'm sure even people like John Knibbs may get in involved as a stockist because of his involvement with older rifles and the supply of parts for them (as long as his greed doesn't get the better of him and charges a damn fortune for them).

Pete
    When pellets are made they are usually swaged using dies to form the shape. I dont think they are cast as molten lead into moulds.
    A company such as JSB would be too busy trying to keep up with demand from the other side of the pond to bother making another pellet for the UK market alone.
    A mountain is being made out of a molehill here. All air rifles can be pellet fussy and in the case of airsporters fit to tap is critical. Most German "5.5" pellets work well in vintage air rifles anyway. The label 5.5 or 5.6 doesnt refer to the exact size but more to the calibre. Its just a nominal size. No2 bore or .22" is a better description
    All of course IMHO

Pete
    both knibbs and chambers are greedy buggers. i was once charged £5 for a 2mm split pin by chambers.

both knibbs and chambers are greedy buggers. i was once charged £5 for a 2mm split pin by chambers.
    That's why I try not to use them unless it's a special part like a piston head or something you can't get elsewhere with may be a little trial and error (like O rings or washers etc).

John Knibbs isn't as knowledgable as people think he is regarding BSA rifles, I've had many an argument with him regarding the wrong parts he's supplied me in the past.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 10-01-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

That's why I try not to use them unless it's a special part like a piston head or something you can't get elsewhere with may be a little trial and error (like O rings or washers etc).

John Knibbs isn't as knowledgable as people think he is regarding BSA rifles, I've had many an argument with him regarding the wrong parts he's supplied me in the past.

Pete
    I think John Knibbs has pretty much retired now, or at best is only part time. Think Mark Knibbs now runs the business, so probably doesn't have the encyclopedic knowledge of BSA's that John did. To put it into perspective, Mark probably earns more out of country clothing per year, that he does out of vintage airgun spares.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I think John Knibbs has pretty much retired now, or at best is only part time. Think Mark Knibbs now runs the business, so probably doesn't have the encyclopedic knowledge of BSA's that John did. To put it into perspective, Mark probably earns more out of country clothing per year, that he does out of vintage airgun spares.
    This was many years ago when John was still running the place, he was arguing with me saying that all RB2 Airsporters had maxi grip scope rails, which was completely untrue as I had one in my hands and it had normal rails cut into the cylinder.

Pete

This was many years ago when John was still running the place, he was arguing with me saying that all RB2 Airsporters had maxi grip scope rails, which was completely untrue as I had one in my hands and it had normal rails cut into the cylinder.

Pete
    My lightning had a maxi rail. But when i removed it it had dovetail scope grooves that the maxirail clamped to.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    When pellets are made they are usually swaged using dies to form the shape. I dont think they are cast as molten lead into moulds.
    A company such as JSB would be too busy trying to keep up with demand from the other side of the pond to bother making another pellet for the UK market alone.
    A mountain is being made out of a molehill here. All air rifles can be pellet fussy and in the case of airsporters fit to tap is critical. Most German "5.5" pellets work well in vintage air rifles anyway. The label 5.5 or 5.6 doesnt refer to the exact size but more to the calibre. Its just a nominal size. No2 bore or .22" is a better description
    All of course IMHO
    My own experience is rather different: in terms of power, the 5.6mm is better in the 5.6mm barrels (ie .22), doubtless because of a better fit.

The tolerances, when producing these pellets, are very fine.

Emailed JSB

Well I've emailed JSB so just have to wait for a reply. I even offered to send some original Eley Wasp pellets if it would assis them.

I've found original wasps to be the most accurate pellet in a number of airguns past and present be they 5.6 or 5.5 barrels. 80s seem to like them I've found.

I'll post any reply they send. I'd be surprised if it hasn't been suggested to them before though.

My lightning had a maxi rail. But when i removed it it had dovetail scope grooves that the maxirail clamped to.
    What did your RB2 carbine have?

Pete