Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: No.2 (5.6mm) pellets

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    What did your RB2 carbine have?

Pete
    Dovetail grooves. It was a full length rb2 also pete. Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Brano View Post
    Well I've emailed JSB so just have to wait for a reply. I even offered to send some original Eley Wasp pellets if it would assis them.

I've found original wasps to be the most accurate pellet in a number of airguns past and present be they 5.6 or 5.5 barrels. 80s seem to like them I've found.

I'll post any reply they send. I'd be surprised if it hasn't been suggested to them before though.

Great stuff! Will be most interested to see their reply.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Dovetail grooves. It was a full length rb2 also pete. Chris
    The only RB2 I know that has the Maxi rail is the Stutzen.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    The only RB2 I know that has the Maxi rail is the Stutzen.

Pete
    The maxirail was off my lightning

The maxirail was off my lightning
    Chris, I was explaining that the only RB2 that had a Maxi rail was the Stutzen, John Knibbs argued with me that all RB2's had a Maxigrip rail, which isn't the case.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

My 5.56 Tempest loves 5.53 FTT. Its less accurate with 5.55 FTT
    The .22 MK3 was best pellet FTT but after overhaul/tune changed to JSB Exact 5.51 (or vv).
    Good tip, Superdomes. Will keep in mind.
    ATB,
    yana

A little casual testing with the Mercury S yesterday at about nine yards:-

Superdomes okay-ish. A few flyers, though. But the gun hasn't been used for years and maybe the barrel was in need of cleaning / conditioning? May try again.

Marksman were noticeably worse.

Then I tried some proper early Wasps. "These should be awesome," I thought. Absolutely hopeless!

RWS Hobby - Wow! Tiny little clusters of five shots, barely larger than a single pellet hole. I didn't measure, but in the region of 1.0 to 1.5mm centre to centre.

Will try some FTT and AAF through it next.

Hope this is of interest and use to anyone looking in.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Superdomes okay-ish. A few flyers, though. But the gun hasn't been used for years and maybe the barrel was in need of cleaning / conditioning? May try again.

Then I tried some proper early Wasps. "These should be awesome," I thought. Absolutely hopeless!

RWS Hobby - Wow! Tiny little clusters of five shots, barely larger than a single pellet hole. I didn't measure, but in the region of 1.0 to 1.5mm centre to centre.

Funny my old mercury loved early wasps

Thanks for that Tone, I'm always willing to try new pellets and hopefully find the surprise pellet that actually groups well but also doesn't cost a fortune, I'll order some up when I get paid.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 21-01-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Funny my old mercury loved early wasps
    As did my old Mercury.

I was pretty astounded myself, expecting this rifle to love the old Wasps. I didn't measure the groups, but there were a couple of shots nice and close but then the flyers made them into groups of about three inches. At that range.

Given the performance with the other pellets, I couldn't quite believe it when it started dropping the Hobbys down the same hole.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

A curious and frustrating business this pellet lark can be. For my 0.22 Classic BSA's; Airsporters, Challengers, Mecury's, Superstars, etc it appears that Superdomes or AA's are the best suited so far. Some modern Wasps have been OK, some not so good, but, that could be down to my skills and concentration, who knows. I have not tried all of the vast range mind. I tried Marksman and they were terrible, all over the place, maybe I had two bad batches, they did not even look good and roughly finished comes to mind. I am desperate for some of those old Green Rhino 0.25's......

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    So far through my 'new' Webley Tracker I've put about a dozen different types through with my top 3 so far being...
    1. RWS Superdome (best for accuracy and power)
    2. Pax Defiant (close 2nd on both counts)
    3. Webley Flying Scot (most accurate of the 'vintage' pellets I've tried so far).

Anecdotally I've been told the RWS Superfields are as good and possibly slightly better than the Superdomes, but I've not tried them myself yet.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    So far through my 'new' Webley Tracker I've put about a dozen different types through with my top 3 so far being...
    1. RWS Superdome (best for accuracy and power)
    2. Pax Defiant (close 2nd on both counts)
    3. Webley Flying Scot (most accurate of the 'vintage' pellets I've tried so far).

Anecdotally I've been told the RWS Superfields are as good and possibly slightly better than the Superdomes, but I've not tried them myself yet.
    Yes, my two Webley Mk3s prefer S.domes with Vintage Defiant very closely behind. I have yet to try FTT.

Curiously, however, my Webley Omega loves H&N Spitzkugel (previously, H&N Pointed) and Excite (made, I believe, by H&N but with rimmed lines alongside pellet).

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Yes, my two Webley Mk3s prefer S.domes with Vintage Defiant very closely behind. I have yet to try FTT.

Curiously, however, my Webley Omega loves H&N Spitzkugel (previously, H&N Pointed) and Excite (made, I believe, by H&N but with rimmed lines alongside pellet).
    Mine didn't like them particularly...

My old mercury loved milbro Calidonian pellet back in the 70s-80s
    Regards Graham