Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MPL shooting with scopes?

MPL shooting with scopes?

Recently at the RMTC we have been considering the interest and appeal in shooting spring powered air rifles and we can see that we are not getting as many enter the MPL postal competition as we have previously enjoyed.

We have also noticed that most spring powered air rifles that are shot on a regular basis these days are used with a scope and the use of open sights has diminished over the years and many are reluctant to purchase a diopter sight for target use - and some new air rifles don't even have the facility to easily add a front tunnel sight either!

With this in mind, we have been trying to come up with a new competition that would accommodate those who would like to shoot with us in the MPL, but using the scope that they already have fitted to their air rifle.

After giving some thought to this problem we have been experimenting on our own club range and think that we may have come up with a solution that works well - and one that we have been enjoying shooting for a few weeks now (just to iron-out any potential problems and to make sure the idea is practical, enjoyable and works!).

Firstly, there are a lot of scopes that can easily focus down to 10 meters (including many affordable budget types such as the Nikko 3-9 x 40 that comes with many "starter" packages etc), but very few that will focus down to the preferred 6 yard MPL distance, so any MPL competition for spring powered air rifles with scopes would be better shot at 10 metres.

At first we thought that this would be a big problem for us as I devised the MPL series as a "shoot from home" competition, but then we realised that most rifle shooters that shoot with a scope seldom shoot indoors, so shooting at 10 meters would still be a realistic possibility for those with a reasonable sized garden or who already have/or can gain access to an area to shoot in.

It was also pointed out to us (during our research) that every few MPL shooters have been able to shoot at 6 yards in their local clubs as they are set-up for 10 meters and either cannot or will not shorten the range for occasional 6 yard use - and the reasons for this are very understandable.

So, the solution we have come up with (and tested) is to shoot at 10 meters but using the standard MPL 6 yard (Air 7) air rifle targets! These targets are smaller than the ISU 10 meter targets that would normally be used, but their smaller size helps to off-set the use of a scope rather than a diopter.

This works really well.

We also considered how most spring powered air rifle shooters "actually use" their air rifles and to this end we would propose another significant change in so much that we propose to allow entrants to shoot from either the standing or sitting position - and using a support or rest if preferred (like when field shooting when resting against a gate post or branch would be the "preferred" option!).

The air rifle would have to be "hand held" ie - no webbing or straps to help support the rifle - but it can be "rested" on or against anything suitable that comes to hand - depending where you shoot this could be a tree, gate post, wall, door frame etc etc.

If you like this idea, please let me know as a few of us would very much like to make this a new MPL class that we hope will appeal more to those who like to shoot their spring powered air rifles with a scope, and who also like the more "freestyle" approach to the variety of "holds" that this competition series would allow!

This series would not in any way replace our existing 6 yard air rifle competition, but it would add another additional series to help those who enjoy shooting spring powered air rifles with a scope.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Bob,

Most intriguing

Using an aperture stop on the scope will also aid getting a clear picture at 10 meters - cover objective with aluminium foil, then cut a 10 mm hole in the foil - doesn't have to be tidy, or even in the middle

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob,

Most intriguing

Using an aperture stop on the scope will also aid getting a clear picture at 10 meters - cover objective with aluminium foil, then cut a 10 mm hole in the foil - doesn't have to be tidy, or even in the middle

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Now that is a top tip Russ, and maybe it will helps us to use scopes that would not normally be able to focus down to 10 meters?

As a matter of interest I have a nice HAWKE Eclipse 3 - 10 X 44 that is as sharp as a pin outdoors at longer distances but cannot focus as close as 10 meters - if I could get that to work at the shortened distance it would be more than helpful - and allow me make good use of a scope that I have absolutely no use for at the moment!

Presumably it does not have to be foil (?) and if the 10mm hole were to be cut in a spare (solid black) lens cap it would look neater and be easy to fit and remove?

Bob,

Yup - a lens cover would work very well indeed

The smaller the hole, the greater the effect, but the dingier the image.

I would start at ca. 5 mm and work upwards till you get a good compromise between effect and brightness of image.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Been having a long think about this, my first reaction was no, but on reflection, yes i think its a good idea,but i think making clear what is & what isn't acceptable as a rest needs stating, supported rifle is quite clear.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Been having a long think about this, my first reaction was no, but on reflection, yes i think its a good idea,but i think making clear what is & what isn't acceptable as a rest needs stating, supported rifle is quite clear.
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for your question and your support (no pun intended!). It will be good to shoot with you in this competition.

The rifle can be rested on just about anything from a post to a bean bag, but it must not be clamped in any way and must always remain free to move.

No form of tether or restraint to prevent any movement of the rifle will be permitted - only your hands can actually hold the rifle so bipods would be banned as well.

You can also choose to shoot the rifle without any form of rest or support if you prefer - the choice is yours to do whatever suites you the best .

You can shoot the rifle in the standing, kneeling or seated position - but not prone.

I hope this is clear enough, but if not, please ask again about anything you feel needs to be specified in more detail.

I can add anything to help the clarity into the rules at the start of this thread to help make things more clear - just let me know what's needed.

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 10-01-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks Bob that makes things clear

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Thanks Bob that makes things clear
    \

Thanks Rob,

I hope it meets with your approval - I also need to stress that this competition is for spring powered (non recoilless) rifles - the recoilless rifles would have a big advantage so this competition is just for the classic "kickers". (basic air rifles that have a recoil - sometimes known as "kickers").

It is really hard to try to remember and think of everything when starting something new, but we are getting there and most of the loose ends are coming together nicely now.

As a matter of interest we have been test shooting with HW97K's when we were working this all out, and they work well with a scope - nice rifles !

Any thoughts as to what scope size would be best ? i'm thinking something like a 4x32

Rob,

I have a Hawke Vantage 4x32 that does a reasonable job of focusing at six (6) yards (!!).

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Russ,

Thats the sort of thing i was thinking of, thought i do like the idea of another 2-7x32, foolishly sold the last one, its my wife's birthday next week, so i might treat her, & if she doesn't want it.....

Rob

Rob,

Good thinking !

I once got my wife a High Standard Citation 0.22" LR pistol for Valentines day - she really loved it, and shot it well for years, until the Ban.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Ha !,
    A friend of mine shot a Dan Wesson, & got his wife a Taurus 38spl snubbie, & she out shot him with it, so he sold it !

Zooma,

I like the idea so much, if it happens I would support you by taking part.

I hope I’ll be able to use open sights as I have a BSA imp.model D circa 1910.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Zooma,

I like the idea so much, if it happens I would support you by taking part.

I hope I’ll be able to use open sights as I have a BSA imp.model D circa 1910.

Regards.

Thanks Zephyr,

It is happening, and you can use your rifle without a scope if you choose!

You could also enter the 6 yard MPL air rifle competition too (if you like) as that competition is for open sights or diopter's (no scopes allowed).

We have 4 entries so far in the new 10 meter MPL Scoped Air Rifle class, (you could be the 5th) but it is happening - so please get your entry in and get your BSA warmed-up

We would be pleased to have you shooting with us!

Bob.