Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long range .22 sub 12ftlb ???

Yes .22 will easily travel 100yds. Simple but counter intuitive answer is that a heavier pellet will fly slower for any given power level but will retain MORE energy at all distances & be less affected by wind. If you want descent groups, use the heaviest pellet with the best BC that your gun will shoot accurately with repeatable consistent velocities, combine that with weighing your pellets & visually inspect them when weighing them & either shoot indoors or on very still days for best results.

Problem with springers is they usually perform best with lighter pellets, there are some highish BC pellets in the 13.5 area, if your gun can shoot them well, they would be your best choice. You can push a 13.4grn pellet with 0.026 BC to 635fps which is exactly 12ft/lb which still has 4.9ft/lb at 100yds.

YMMV
    Ah the Toys ;-
    Tommygun .22LR, Ruger 10/22, Erma M1 .22WMR, Rossi 92 .357Magnum, Tikka T3 Tactical .308Win,
    1858 & 1873 BPR's, Browning Gold 12G, Winchester 9410, Air Rifles, Crossbows & Longbow.

Best I did with a full size HW100 at 50 metres was a 10 shot group 8mm x 13mm centre to centre rested on front and rear bags. Outdoor range but no wind to speak of.

I had a tx200hc years ago that would print groups at 50 yards with ease, it was .177 flavour and was a fantastic rifle, had it for years, my only gun at the time and wish i still had it now.
    Moved onto pcp’s, as stupidly i thought they were More accurate than the springers 😌. The multiple pcp’s i got after wasnt a Patch on the tx, but then again i didn’t keep them that long to get the best from any of them.
    wish i had a time machine tho, The amount of guns/cars/bikes/tools/gadgets iv traded/sold to get something i thought was better 🙄, probably why i keep everything i buy these days, most things anyway.

I've found about 70 yards max with .22 cal and achieve good results, Around the 90 yards with 177cal. That's all I seem to do now is plink or target shoot,

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lordy75 View Post
    Thankyou for the reply , so i wouldnt be restricted to using my 177 for target shhoting , a .22 is quite capable to say 75 yds for targets . Cheers webleywombler.
    they are both just as accurate, the difference is the more dramatic drop on the 22 pellet due to the heavier weight. As long as you have a good quality rifle you'll be fine over 80 meters. Ive personally done targets at 90 meter with my HW100 .22 at 11.5ft lb

I used to shoot on a farm years ago and would shoot 300 yards or more over a tilled field on a slight rise. aim for a clod of earth or stone with the barrel raised just out of scope could hit the same place quite often with a puff of dust from the strike, very satisfying, i once placed an old gramophone record out about the same distance which i could hit and could penetrate. I think the air rifle was a Webly Hawke .22 and a BSA Airsporter.
    I was looking on youtube at slug shooting in South Africa using the FX impact in 79ftb, got me thinking using 12 ftb with slugs and thought that a light slug in .177 would be stable enough at .177 velocities higher than .22 and would be accurate at longer distances with the slug over a pellet, A company called Griffin do slugs in lighter weights at 10 grains. Any one tried Griffin slugs before.

Things have moved on a bit

I recall starting this thread and looking at it now i remember how green i was at the time and its not long ago . I shoot .177 now but have just purchased a mk2 Airsporter in need of a little fettle . I shoot BR with an wonderful ftp900 purchased off here but the Airsporter is going to be my .22 challenge rifle . I now have 25 acres to shoot on , i still do not hunt but may someday . I intend to try and shoot a 6 inch aluminium plate at 100 yards on open sights with this gun , nope , im not mad but want a mega challenge different to a 2mmX at 25/50m ( 1 pellet out of a tin full qualifies the challenge as complete cool: . I may be some time but as this post shows , i vill be bark , say that in an austrian acent to get the benefit of the joke please . Happy new year peoples .
    Love to shoot.

A man's got to have goals in life. That's a worthy one. Looking forward to your future endeavors!

Happy new year!
    I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.

I recall starting this thread and looking at it now i remember how green i was at the time and its not long ago . I shoot .177 now but have just purchased a mk2 Airsporter in need of a little fettle . I shoot BR with an wonderful ftp900 purchased off here but the Airsporter is going to be my .22 challenge rifle . I now have 25 acres to shoot on , i still do not hunt but may someday . I intend to try and shoot a 6 inch aluminium plate at 100 yards on open sights with this gun , nope , im not mad but want a mega challenge different to a 2mmX at 25/50m ( 1 pellet out of a tin full qualifies the challenge as complete cool: . I may be some time but as this post shows , i vill be bark , say that in an austrian acent to get the benefit of the joke please . Happy new year peoples .
    I think that's a decent challenge.
    If I had space, I'd have a go with my mk1.
    My mk1 is surprisingly accurate with open sights but I only have 30 yards to play in.

I'll have to measure my friends yard, see if he has space.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    A bunch of us used to often go out for an evenings plinking on some marshes where we had permission. It was an old landfill site bordering saltmarshes with some wide open tidal pools & creeks. Tin cans out on the mud or chucked in the water at anything up to a 100 yards or even further.
    There was a lot of aiming off to account for wind & some crazy elevation required as the tins floated off into the distance, i have no idea of group sizes but it was good fun. Funny thing was i often used to shoot a 1910 BSA imp model D in .22, it had an aperture sight fitted with flip up tower that had a fast action thread to allow rapid elevation changes, It suited the really long range shots remarkably well. The sightline was such my cheek was right off the stock & it was easier to adopt a back position. Once had a shoot off with a mate who had a brand new RWS 54 sidelever. If the tide was out we would snipe crabs out on the mud, Happy days!

Sub MOA groups are theoretically possible BUT a sub MOA group at 50yds (i.e. half inch group) is much, much easier than one at 100 (1 inch group). I do not know of anyone who has shot a sub-12 1 inch 100yd group but plenty (myself included) who have done 1/2inch at 50yds. It's a real challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    Yes, I've heard plenty from fellow shooters and those on this forum who shoots at 100 yards. Hitting coke can size and groups being achievable.

I intend to achieve the same successes. I've got myself .22 hw80 mk2 with a 500mm barrel from a gun fayre recently with a view of having it fettled to shoots smoothly but staying sub 12. I'm now scanning for a club with a suitable range to achieve my ambition this summer. I'll post my personal results and findings in due course.
    Good stuff, I am looking at seeing how far and how accurately I can shoot. Short range, very accurate doesn’t do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    We have 60yds at the range, & one member couldn't hit the 60yd targets with his pcp. He saw how much fun us lowly springer shooters were having, so he got one, a 97 in 22, had it tuned & now hits the 60yd targets no problem
    There must have been something wrong with his pcp 10 ft lbs from the muzzle should hit 60 yards irrespective of calibre or type of air rifle.
    I'd go mad, if I didn't have the devil on my shoulder to talk to.

Subsonic .22 in the USofA

I just would like to know what range for sub 12 ftlb .22 . Just targets . What is capable in reality. Cheers , Mark.
    CCI CB Caps 29gr 727 fps 33flb All av.

"Z" .22 long 29gr 800 fps 36flb

Lupua 29gr 680 fps 29.8 flb

RWS CB Caps 17gr 750 fps 21.2 flb

Aguila Colibri 20gr 375 fps 6flb

Winchester CB Shorts 29gr 750 fps 36.2 flb

Rem. CB 29 gr 700 fps 34 flb

All Clocked by Me over the Years.....Franky
    That all I got after Years of Shooting in City Subbrubs

I recently acquired a 97k in .22 for exactly that reason. I spent a long time assessing the best pellet for the barrel and shoot 75 and 100 yards with jsb jumbo 15.9gn. These are excellent at long range with this gun. You just need to get used to more pellet drop than with 177.