Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long range .22 sub 12ftlb ???

Long range .22 sub 12ftlb ???

This may gave been asked and please direct me if so . Could a sub 12 ft lb air rjfle in .22 be used for +50m target shooting . Im using a .177 currently and getting fair to good results but i find using .22 pelets easier for me . What range would it be possible to shoot to with this kind of set up given i have a decent scope to go with it. I dont hunt just plinking and target shooting . Cheers in advance .
    Love to shoot.

.22 for target

I just would like to know what range for sub 12 ftlb .22 . Just targets . What is capable in reality. Cheers , Mark.
    Love to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordy75 View Post
    I just would like to know what range for sub 12 ftlb .22 . Just targets . What is capable in reality. Cheers , Mark.
    Sub 12 rifle is quite capable of good results at 100 yards. depends on the size of the target and the quality of pellet

I was out today and achieved 5" groups a couple of times at a measured 75 yards with a sub 6lb pistol ( very still air, both arms rested on a fence rail, scope at 5x. 7 strings fired, won't write about a couple but most shots hit a 17cm ISSF pistol card.) shot holes are a bit ragged but that's to be expected. I wanted to do 100 yards but there were too many horses about in the fields so the 75 yard range had to be chosen for safe area considerations. I measure with a very old surveyors tape that hasn't got metric markings on.

Things will get better with more practice

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Sub 12 rifle is quite capable of good results at 100 yards. depends on the size of the target and the quality of pellet

I was out today and achieved 5" groups a couple of times at a measured 75 yards with a sub 6lb pistol ( very still air, both arms rested on a fence rail, scope at 5x. 7 strings fired, won't write about a couple but most shots hit a 17cm ISSF pistol card.) shot holes are a bit ragged but that's to be expected. I wanted to do 100 yards but there were too many horses about in the fields so the 75 yard range had to be chosen for safe area considerations. I measure with a very old surveyors tape that hasn't got metric markings on.

Things will get better with more practice

Thankyou for the reply , so i wouldnt be restricted to using my 177 for target shhoting , a .22 is quite capable to say 75 yds for targets . Cheers webleywombler.
    Love to shoot.

Before you invest, find out if you’re allowed to use .22 as some target shooting is .177 only
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    .22 is fine for 75 to 100m if it's at a fixed distance and your scope can handle the elevation, you may need to shim it for such a distance as the pellet drop is huge. Remember your "groups" will get worse the further you go, so you may find even hitting tin cans is a challenge and your totally wasting your time with any kind of breeze let alone wind. Personally I'd go less distance and try to challenge the accuracy rather than trying to stretch the range with far less accuracy - but give it a go and see how you get on. Paper plates would be a reasonable target
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I wouldn't want to start shimming scopes once set for shorter distances, for me it's too much of a faff.
    I shoot 50m and 75 yard competitions at our club and once my scope was set for 50m I decided to use all the mildots available plus any marks beyond the target as aim points. At 75 yards we use a 7" diameter target from https://www.targetz.com and we aim at brick joins on the wall behind or you can place a post behind the target with marks to aim at.
    Chairgun allows you determine pellet trajectories and determine how much the pellet drop will be at various distances which can then be tested in the field.
    hth
    Jim

Try New JSB .22 Aloy Slug's in 3 Head-Size's .215 .216 .217 thou. for 12flb Land

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/new...020-shot-show/

Light Weight Slug's for 12flb Land .22 GTO Slug's w/BIG B C >>>You can be a Loooong Ranger Too.

.22 GTO 11.75gr Pellet's work great w/a 12flb @ 678fps so .22 GTO Slug's should work great too for that 100yrd shot of a Lifetime.....Franky

We have 60yds at the range, & one member couldn't hit the 60yd targets with his pcp. He saw how much fun us lowly springer shooters were having, so he got one, a 97 in 22, had it tuned & now hits the 60yd targets no problem

To answer your question simply, yes a sub 12 FPE rifle will work for beyond 50 meter shooting.

To fill in the answer a bit, you'll need a good scope, a set of high mounts would probably be of benefit for the longer ranges. A sub-12 FPE 22 requires more finesse at the longer distances due to the more parabolic trajectory, but it's doable. As an illustration of what can be done with "less than optimal" pellet launchers, a few years ago I used my Baikal IZH46M 10 meter pistol to shoot a group at 50 meters. The wadcutter pellets were running around 300 fps, if I recall correctly. Power was down on the pistol which was needing a rebuild Anyway, by holding up a portion of the barrel in the rear sight, using the top of the target backer as a reference point and shooting from a rest, I managed a three shot one inch group that day. I'm not saying I could do it again, but the conditions lined up just right and I was tickled pink with the results. The pellets barely broke the front part of the corrugated cardboard target backer and were stuck right there. If an underpowered target pistol can reach 50 meters then your sub-12 FPE rifle can reach way out there as well. Give it a try.
    I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.

Yes, I've heard plenty from fellow shooters and those on this forum who shoots at 100 yards. Hitting coke can size and groups being achievable.

I intend to achieve the same successes. I've got myself .22 hw80 mk2 with a 500mm barrel from a gun fayre recently with a view of having it fettled to shoots smoothly but staying sub 12. I'm now scanning for a club with a suitable range to achieve my ambition this summer. I'll post my personal results and findings in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    Yes, I've heard plenty from fellow shooters and those on this forum who shoots at 100 yards. Hitting coke can size and groups being achievable.

I intend to achieve the same successes. I've got myself .22 hw80 mk2 with a 500mm barrel from a gun fayre recently with a view of having it fettled to shoots smoothly but staying sub 12. I'm now scanning for a club with a suitable range to achieve my ambition this summer. I'll post my personal results and findings in due course.
    There's nothing like setting a goal and working towards it. Hope you share your progress with us.
    I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.

your right there bud

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post

Hi. New member here but interested to know if you have managed to get out and give this a go ?

My HW100 and Daystate Regal sub 12 in .22 would group the size of a 2 pence peace when shooting indoors at 50 yards/meters but when shot outdoor with all the variables it opened up to 2x/3x depending on wind.
    They are limited by the performance of the sub 12 performance and not the rifles.

50 yard outside will be fun and challenging especially in the wind