Thread: Long range .22 sub 12ftlb ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Sub 12 rifle is quite capable of good results at 100 yards. depends on the size of the target and the quality of pellet

I was out today and achieved 5" groups a couple of times at a measured 75 yards with a sub 6lb pistol ( very still air, both arms rested on a fence rail, scope at 5x. 7 strings fired, won't write about a couple but most shots hit a 17cm ISSF pistol card.) shot holes are a bit ragged but that's to be expected. I wanted to do 100 yards but there were too many horses about in the fields so the 75 yard range had to be chosen for safe area considerations. I measure with a very old surveyors tape that hasn't got metric markings on.

Things will get better with more practice

Thankyou for the reply , so i wouldnt be restricted to using my 177 for target shhoting , a .22 is quite capable to say 75 yds for targets . Cheers webleywombler.
    Love to shoot.

Before you invest, find out if you’re allowed to use .22 as some target shooting is .177 only
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    .22 is fine for 75 to 100m if it's at a fixed distance and your scope can handle the elevation, you may need to shim it for such a distance as the pellet drop is huge. Remember your "groups" will get worse the further you go, so you may find even hitting tin cans is a challenge and your totally wasting your time with any kind of breeze let alone wind. Personally I'd go less distance and try to challenge the accuracy rather than trying to stretch the range with far less accuracy - but give it a go and see how you get on. Paper plates would be a reasonable target
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I wouldn't want to start shimming scopes once set for shorter distances, for me it's too much of a faff.
    I shoot 50m and 75 yard competitions at our club and once my scope was set for 50m I decided to use all the mildots available plus any marks beyond the target as aim points. At 75 yards we use a 7" diameter target from https://www.targetz.com and we aim at brick joins on the wall behind or you can place a post behind the target with marks to aim at.
    Chairgun allows you determine pellet trajectories and determine how much the pellet drop will be at various distances which can then be tested in the field.
    hth
    Jim

Try New JSB .22 Aloy Slug's in 3 Head-Size's .215 .216 .217 thou. for 12flb Land

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/new...020-shot-show/

Light Weight Slug's for 12flb Land .22 GTO Slug's w/BIG B C >>>You can be a Loooong Ranger Too.

.22 GTO 11.75gr Pellet's work great w/a 12flb @ 678fps so .22 GTO Slug's should work great too for that 100yrd shot of a Lifetime.....Franky

We have 60yds at the range, & one member couldn't hit the 60yd targets with his pcp. He saw how much fun us lowly springer shooters were having, so he got one, a 97 in 22, had it tuned & now hits the 60yd targets no problem

To answer your question simply, yes a sub 12 FPE rifle will work for beyond 50 meter shooting.

To fill in the answer a bit, you'll need a good scope, a set of high mounts would probably be of benefit for the longer ranges. A sub-12 FPE 22 requires more finesse at the longer distances due to the more parabolic trajectory, but it's doable. As an illustration of what can be done with "less than optimal" pellet launchers, a few years ago I used my Baikal IZH46M 10 meter pistol to shoot a group at 50 meters. The wadcutter pellets were running around 300 fps, if I recall correctly. Power was down on the pistol which was needing a rebuild Anyway, by holding up a portion of the barrel in the rear sight, using the top of the target backer as a reference point and shooting from a rest, I managed a three shot one inch group that day. I'm not saying I could do it again, but the conditions lined up just right and I was tickled pink with the results. The pellets barely broke the front part of the corrugated cardboard target backer and were stuck right there. If an underpowered target pistol can reach 50 meters then your sub-12 FPE rifle can reach way out there as well. Give it a try.
    I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    We have 60yds at the range, & one member couldn't hit the 60yd targets with his pcp. He saw how much fun us lowly springer shooters were having, so he got one, a 97 in 22, had it tuned & now hits the 60yd targets no problem
    There must have been something wrong with his pcp 10 ft lbs from the muzzle should hit 60 yards irrespective of calibre or type of air rifle.
    I'd go mad, if I didn't have the devil on my shoulder to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    .22 is fine for 75 to 100m if it's at a fixed distance and your scope can handle the elevation, you may need to shim it for such a distance as the pellet drop is huge. Remember your "groups" will get worse the further you go, so you may find even hitting tin cans is a challenge and your totally wasting your time with any kind of breeze let alone wind. Personally I'd go less distance and try to challenge the accuracy rather than trying to stretch the range with far less accuracy - but give it a go and see how you get on. Paper plates would be a reasonable target
    The new generation of slugs that are now more available can make a world of difference on a windy day....There are very many videos on youtube of shooters using these in sub 12 foot poudts rifles at extreem distances.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lordy75 View Post
    Thankyou for the reply , so i wouldnt be restricted to using my 177 for target shhoting , a .22 is quite capable to say 75 yds for targets . Cheers webleywombler.
    they are both just as accurate, the difference is the more dramatic drop on the 22 pellet due to the heavier weight. As long as you have a good quality rifle you'll be fine over 80 meters. Ive personally done targets at 90 meter with my HW100 .22 at 11.5ft lb

I used to shoot on a farm years ago and would shoot 300 yards or more over a tilled field on a slight rise. aim for a clod of earth or stone with the barrel raised just out of scope could hit the same place quite often with a puff of dust from the strike, very satisfying, i once placed an old gramophone record out about the same distance which i could hit and could penetrate. I think the air rifle was a Webly Hawke .22 and a BSA Airsporter.
    I was looking on youtube at slug shooting in South Africa using the FX impact in 79ftb, got me thinking using 12 ftb with slugs and thought that a light slug in .177 would be stable enough at .177 velocities higher than .22 and would be accurate at longer distances with the slug over a pellet, A company called Griffin do slugs in lighter weights at 10 grains. Any one tried Griffin slugs before.

Things have moved on a bit

I recall starting this thread and looking at it now i remember how green i was at the time and its not long ago . I shoot .177 now but have just purchased a mk2 Airsporter in need of a little fettle . I shoot BR with an wonderful ftp900 purchased off here but the Airsporter is going to be my .22 challenge rifle . I now have 25 acres to shoot on , i still do not hunt but may someday . I intend to try and shoot a 6 inch aluminium plate at 100 yards on open sights with this gun , nope , im not mad but want a mega challenge different to a 2mmX at 25/50m ( 1 pellet out of a tin full qualifies the challenge as complete cool: . I may be some time but as this post shows , i vill be bark , say that in an austrian acent to get the benefit of the joke please . Happy new year peoples .
    Love to shoot.

A man's got to have goals in life. That's a worthy one. Looking forward to your future endeavors!

Happy new year!
    I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordy75 View Post
    I recall starting this thread and looking at it now i remember how green i was at the time and its not long ago . I shoot .177 now but have just purchased a mk2 Airsporter in need of a little fettle . I shoot BR with an wonderful ftp900 purchased off here but the Airsporter is going to be my .22 challenge rifle . I now have 25 acres to shoot on , i still do not hunt but may someday . I intend to try and shoot a 6 inch aluminium plate at 100 yards on open sights with this gun , nope , im not mad but want a mega challenge different to a 2mmX at 25/50m ( 1 pellet out of a tin full qualifies the challenge as complete cool: . I may be some time but as this post shows , i vill be bark , say that in an austrian acent to get the benefit of the joke please . Happy new year peoples .
    I think that's a decent challenge.
    If I had space, I'd have a go with my mk1.
    My mk1 is surprisingly accurate with open sights but I only have 30 yards to play in.

I'll have to measure my friends yard, see if he has space.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    A bunch of us used to often go out for an evenings plinking on some marshes where we had permission. It was an old landfill site bordering saltmarshes with some wide open tidal pools & creeks. Tin cans out on the mud or chucked in the water at anything up to a 100 yards or even further.
    There was a lot of aiming off to account for wind & some crazy elevation required as the tins floated off into the distance, i have no idea of group sizes but it was good fun. Funny thing was i often used to shoot a 1910 BSA imp model D in .22, it had an aperture sight fitted with flip up tower that had a fast action thread to allow rapid elevation changes, It suited the really long range shots remarkably well. The sightline was such my cheek was right off the stock & it was easier to adopt a back position. Once had a shoot off with a mate who had a brand new RWS 54 sidelever. If the tide was out we would snipe crabs out on the mud, Happy days!