Thread: Looking for a compact/mini spotting scope suitable for 50m

Looking for a compact/mini spotting scope suitable for 50m

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a small spotting scope that would be suitable for seeing .22 holes on a target at 50m? I'm in the market for a new scope and previously I had one with a 60mm objective lens which was bulky and heavy and took up a significant amount of space in my Peli case.

Are there any that you know on the market with a 30mm or similar sized objective lens that would work at 50m distance?

Quote Originally Posted by nemilho View Post
    Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a small spotting scope that would be suitable for seeing .22 holes on a target at 50m? I'm in the market for a new scope and previously I had one with a 60mm objective lens which was bulky and heavy and took up a significant amount of space in my Peli case.

Are there any that you know on the market with a 30mm or similar sized objective lens that would work at 50m distance?
    Try Sportsman gunshop online with Minox on offer
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Opticron have a very short 50mm MM3. I have to say I've never seen a spotting 'scope with a 30mm objective lens. Given many shooters use an 80mm, or even 100mm, front lens for light transmission, 30mm may be gloomy when the weather is less than perfect.

Thanks for your suggestions I'll take a look.

Nikon ED50 has fantastic definition for its size and weight but hold their price exceedingly well. I’m still looking for a bargain one to pop up after stupidly selling mine

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Kowa TSN501

Has any one used the Kowa TSN501 for target shooting?

I'm looking to replace my 50 year old Kowa TS1, for use at 50, 100 small bore and up to 600 full bore.

On paper the TSN 501 looks great, compact, light, and will have Kowa quality and a reasonable price, £270, almost too good to be true, so I'd like to know if any one uses one?

What is its optical qualities? to read Mirage etc?

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Objective size

In order to distinguish between two adjacent shotholes at 100 yrds you need a large objective.
    I don't think a 30 mm lens will be adequate.
    You could try the Opticron Mighty Midget. 52 mm objective or they do a larger version (25x60) which puts a 60 mm lens onto the Mighty Midget body. The new version is even more compact as it telescopes (no pun intended) to reduce the body length when not in use.