Thread: Black Powder Revolvers - Value and Desirability

Black Powder Revolvers - Value and Desirability

Hi everyone - I'm after a bit of a reality check from the collective please.

I have a couple of Black Powder revolvers that I have been trying to sell for some time but without any luck, so I thought I would ask the collective about their general desirability.

The two guns in question are bot Pietta's, one being a stainless "target" model Remington 1858 in .44 and the other a Colt "pocket" Sheriff model in .36. The Remington is not in great condition I'll be the first to admit but it all works as it should, whilst the Colt is in excellent condition.

Despite advertising locally and on here there's been no interest, even at much reduced asking price. So my questions are; is muzzle loading a dying element of the sport, or have I just been unlucky so far, or are these models just undesirable?

Over to the collective wisdom please - thanks in advance.
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

The Model of 1858 IS a desirable model, but NOT for competition under the MLAGB rules as it has non-original target sights fitted. These days you ought to be looking for around £200-ish. The Colt 'Sherriff' model is a sure-fire non-seller, as it's really more of a novelty than anything else, and in this country, where every BP handgun is treated the same way as if it was a .338LM bolt-action rifle, it's going to need a buyer who really wants to have it just for the fun of it. Not many like that in MY county.

Thanks Tac - that more or less confirms what I thought.

Although being more desirable my particular 1858 example is a bit cosmetically challenged (!) so I think £200 is probably pie in the sky! As things stand they will probably be handed in for destruction before FAC renewal comes around.
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Hello,
    Unfortunately, second hand muzzle loading revolvers have very limited value even in good condition. The club I shoot at lost the use of our outdoor range a year or so ago forcing me to try to part with my much loved Uberti and Ruger revolvers. The dealers I approached stated that they hadn't sold one in a very long time and only offered insulting prices for the guns if they even considered taking them in other than in part exchange. Fortunately, we were able to adapt our indoor range to shoot nitro-conversion revolvers and as my Ruger had been converted, I could continue shooting at least one of may guns. I much prefer shooting outdoors though, and have now found an additional outdoor range where I can use my revolvers to my hearts content. As previously stated, the Colt would be almost impossible to sell and I would think £60-£80 would the very most you would be likely to get for the Remington NMA.

Sorry to confirm your worst fears.

Brian

I am in the market for a spirit of the original to shoot in MLAGB competitions. Uberti stainless brand new from Kranks £450.00. I have also been looking for a first-class condition Ruger Old Army. It seems that they are holding a value of average £500.00. I also viewed the Pedersoli Remington competition average £1000.00 now researching values of different types. Not many private sales about for ROA's lots of others. OK, so I appreciate a ROA can't be shot in MLAGB comps but would just like one to play with.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    I am in the market for a spirit of the original to shoot in MLAGB competitions. Uberti stainless brand new from Kranks £450.00. I have also been looking for a first-class condition Ruger Old Army. It seems that they are holding a value of average £500.00. I also viewed the Pedersoli Remington competition average £1000.00 now researching values of different types. Not many private sales about for ROA's lots of others.
    The ROA does not qualify for spirit of the original - even the version without adjustable sights - they use coil springs.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    The ROA does not qualify for spirit of the original - even the version without adjustable sights - they use coil springs.
    The OP knows that already - 'OK, so I appreciate a ROA can't be shot in MLAGB comps but would just like one to play with.'

The other top quality replications of the Reemington New model Army of 1858 were made by Feinwerkbau and marketed by Hege. Both were north of a thousand even fifteen years syne.

However, if I was not a poor old pensioner I'd be talking to Pete Holder and looking to buy a real Colt revolver, rather than a replication of any kind. Then you can be certain that it would be compliant with the MLAGB rules.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The OP knows that already - 'OK, so I appreciate a ROA can't be shot in MLAGB comps but would just like one to play with.'

I was replying to Mac42's post - and he clearly does not.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I was replying to Mac42's post - and he clearly does not.

I may have misled you with my post. Its age you know !!!!!!! I have owned 2 ROA in the past and I am well aware that they can.t be shot in MLAGB Spirit of Original Competitions. I did own a Pedersoli Remington which I did shoot competitively, never did any good was just pleased I got it on the target. Just want a ROA have spotted one blue ROA for sale. never been used, the owner wants £550. Have said I am interested, just waiting for my variation to come through. John at Kranks recommends a new Uberti 1858 New Army without rear sites only £450.00. Make a good birthday prezzie.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    I may have misled you with my post. Its age you know !!!!!!! I have owned 2 ROA in the past and I am well aware that they can.t be shot in MLAGB Spirit of Original Competitions. I did own a Pedersoli Remington which I did shoot competitively, never did any good was just pleased I got it on the target. Just want a ROA have spotted one blue ROA for sale. never been used, the owner wants £550. Have said I am interested, just waiting for my variation to come through. John at Kranks recommends a new Uberti 1858 New Army without rear sites only £450.00. Make a good birthday prezzie.

I can thoroughly recommend the fixed sight, Uberti 8" barrel Remington NMA in blued finish which is priced at a very reasonable £320 from Henry Krank and other dealers. I have owned a few Uberti revolvers over the years and have always found them to be excellent straight out of the box. The trigger weights have never needed tweaking and the timing on all the ones I have owned over the years has been perfect with no evidence of the bolt producing the commonly seen line around the circumference of the cylinder. As you are probably aware, the foresight is drift adjustable, so once set, there is probably no need to touch it again while leaving the gun looking more like the original. I also own a stainless ROA and have not found that stainless guns are any more resistant to corrosion provided a proper cleaning regime is employed, so why pay more for something that in my opinion anyway, detracts from the original looking appearance. Although plated finishes were available for some original revolvers which may look similar in appearance to stainless, I'm afraid for me anyway they just don't look quite right for the period. I also have a nitro-conversion 1858 NMA revolver and it's perhaps telling that the manufacturer settled on the standard Uberti Remington as the basis for his products.
    Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 22-01-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I can thoroughly recommend the fixed sight, Uberti 8" barrel Remington NMA in blued finish which is priced at a very reasonable £320 from Henry Krank and other dealers. I have owned a few Uberti revolvers over the years and have always found them to be excellent straight out of the box. The trigger weights have never needed tweaking and the timing on all the ones I have owned over the years has been perfect with no evidence of the bolt producing the commonly seen line around the circumference of the cylinder. As you are probably aware, the foresight is drift adjustable, so once set, there is probably no need to touch it again while leaving the gun looking more like the original. I also own a stainless ROA and have not found that stainless guns are any more resistant to corrosion provided a proper cleaning regime is employed, so why pay more for something that in my opinion anyway, detracts from the original looking appearance. Although plated finishes were available for some original revolvers which may look similar in appearance to stainless, I'm afraid for me anyway they just don't look quite right for the period. I also have a nitro-conversion 1858 NMA revolver and it's perhaps telling that the manufacturer settled on the standard Uberti Remington as the basis for his products.
    Regards
    Brian
    I ended my search with a first-class condition ROA. The ROA had a conversion but included all the bits, we returned it back to black powder unmarked condition. I also, at the same time purchased a Pietta 1858 Model Army Competition they sell new for £1200.00. I paid £400 been shot, by the condition, very little. The Pietta is my competition gun. Now looking for another ROA should then have a matching pair.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Hi,
    Congratulations on acquiring your revolvers which I'm sure will provide you with many years of enjoyment. You now have the benefit of both worlds with a spirit of the original for competition together with an example of a BP revolver if it were to be designed for use today.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
    Thanks Tac - that more or less confirms what I thought.

Although being more desirable my particular 1858 example is a bit cosmetically challenged (!) so I think £200 is probably pie in the sky! As things stand they will probably be handed in for destruction before FAC renewal comes around.
    I have a Stainless Steel Pietta Remington 1858 .44 cal Competition in very good condition can be used in MLAGB competitions I am looking for £380.00. ovno. Selling as decided my standard is not good enough for competitions. Sticking to cowboy action only.
    Marlin 357 original JM.