Thread: Dsoon solar panel. S1

Dsoon solar panel. S1

Hi all, I've had a lot of contact from forum members following my review of the Dsoon trail camera. I'm really glad I could be of some help.

I've since got hold of the Dsoon solar panel they produce, to save keep getting through batteries, or, keep having to recharge expensive rechargeable.

Here are my findings so far....

Dsoon Solar Panel S1
    My first impression when taking the solar panel out of the box was how good the quality was.
    It has a very rugged design and feels very chunky and well made.
    In the box with the solar panel is a set of instructions that are clear and easy to understand, two cables, (one for charging via USB and the other for connecting the panel to a trail/wildlife camera.
    It also comes with a good quality bracket and allen key for adjustment.
    I charged the solar panel fully as per the instructions using the USB cable and then, as I use my trail cameras on tripods, I set up the solar panel, at the recommended angle, on a tripod next to my Dsoon camera and connected the two together.
    I used a fully charged set of old batteries that I had stopped using some time ago (as they no longer last very long) as recommended as back up.
    I initially ran the camera for over 30 hours and recorded 131, 30 second videos on the highest resolution settings. When I checked the 2500mAh, 1.2v rechargeable batteries, they were still fully charged, so the camera had run solely off of the solar panel's internal battery and not used any of the back up battery power at all. Nothing has changed in the last week or so using the solar panel.
    I have spent a small fortune in the past on the best quality rechargeable batteries for my cameras. Will I ever buy anymore again? No.
    Can I recommend this solar panel? Absolutely. 100%
    This top quality unit is a game changer.
    These are a perfect solution for everyone, from a single camera garden user, to somone using several units on shooting/hunting permissions, to save keep having to go out and regularly change batteries.
    I hope this is of much use and help as the camera review was.
    After all that is said and done - More is said, than done!

Just wondering a number of months on have you still zero battery use and is it still running solely off the charger. I’d worry about battery degradation over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard308 View Post
    Just wondering a number of months on have you still zero battery use and is it still running solely off the charger. I’d worry about battery degradation over time.
    Hi Richard, to be honest I have changed the batteries twice in the original solar panel, but not be cause they had been used.
    I checked them after a couple of months just to make sure there was no corrosion and they were fine. However, for piece of mind I took out the 8 batteries I had put in, as they were not the best quality anyway and put in 4 decent rechargeables as you only need 4 as back up. I've got a second solar panel now with the same set up of batteries.
    I swapped them over again last week for piece of mind and not because there has been any use and there was no battery degradation. That set had been in for 3 months.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Kirk

Must be honest I'm a bit baffled by your comment in the OP about having to "keep recharging expensive rechargeable batteries"

How fast are they going through them ??

I've got half a dozen trail cameras of various makes and I have to change/download the SD cards well before the batteries show any sign of power drop,
    If using the full bank of 8 batteries I'd be extremely disappointed if they lasted less than 6 months out in any of my cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Must be honest I'm a bit baffled by your comment in the OP about having to "keep recharging expensive rechargeable batteries"

How fast are they going through them ??

I've got half a dozen trail cameras of various makes and I have to change/download the SD cards well before the batteries show any sign of power drop,
    If using the full bank of 8 batteries I'd be extremely disappointed if they lasted less than 6 months out in any of my cameras.
    I'm set up on full HD with videos running at 30 seconds to 1 minute. If set up in my garden on bird feeders or under them for rat activity, in the winter I can have dozens and dozens of videos and sometimes over 100 per day. That did get through rechargeable batteries on a regular basis.

Hey there! I stumbled upon your review of the Dsoon solar panel and I must say, I'm impressed with its performance. The fact that it could sustain your trail camera for over 30 hours and still have its internal battery fully charged is amazing. It's great to know that we can save money on batteries and rechargeable ones by using a solar panel like the Dsoon S1. I also learned more about different sources of energy, including solar, from https://yenex.com, which provides a wealth of information on renewable energy. It's great to see that there are more options out there that can help us save money and energy while still being eco-friendly.
    Last edited by thurstanloecken; 28-04-2023 at 09:00 AM.

Hi. Glad you liked the review. I have two now out on farms tracking rabbit movement times as they are different on both farms. They really do save a lot of wasted time.
    I've now got four of the Dsoon twin lens cameras. They have been out all Winter and have not let me down yet.