Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firing an antique pistol

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    As you are probably already aware, it would need to be entered on a Firearms Certificate before it could be shot legally here in in the UK which puts off most original UK residents from shooting their original firearms if this isn't feasible on a regular basis.

As this isn't an issue for you, I would certainly consider shooting it at least once under the controlled conditions you describe.

Brian

Antique firearms may be fired for testing purposes without FAC. I don't think the limits of "testing" have been established but one or two rounds from each chamber of a revloler would be defensible. regular use or competition use would require FAC, but the OP is not in the UK anyway.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Well, that went well!

Finally took it to the club today, explained it was 180 years old and I was worried about firing it. It was wrestled from my grip and passed around by the members to much excitement, loaded and fired, then again, and again.

When I asked if this was dangerous I was answered with laughter. "Le pistolet est juste de le poudre noir!"

One of them was keen to stuff more powder down the bore, but to be fair he did the same with my Pedersoli Guardian first time he saw it. I stopped him just in time
    I must have French blood. I'm usually the eejit that stuffs powder in the guns just to see what happens!!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    A box of 10.95mm balls arrived in the post today, testing will resume in the garden over the weekend...

BTW, if any of you don't already own a Pedersoli Liegi, get one ordered. What a hoot! Apparently I'm putting too much powder in, but it was kicking more than the Glock!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    You owe it to the forum to film this.I want to see the carnage in slow mo
    FIFY
    I wouldnt risk it, got one myself & its remaining unfired.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    A box of 10.95mm balls arrived in the post today, testing will resume in the garden over the weekend...

BTW, if any of you don't already own a Pedersoli Liegi, get one ordered. What a hoot! Apparently I'm putting too much powder in, but it was kicking more than the Glock!
    I don't think there are that many folks here in UK who are willing to use up a slot on their hard-enough-to-get FAC on something like that. Unless they have a VERY friendly FEO.....
    Last edited by tacfoley; 06-03-2020 at 02:49 PM.